• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ban the haka ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how these debates are always "The ABs shouldnt be allowed the haka its not fair!!1!! Oh yeah and I guess those other countries that do it should stop too. Not so worried about them because they dont kick our ass on the regular. But its unfair when NZ do it! Ban the haka!"

If Tonga were the only country that did it would anyone care? Of course not.

If a country decided to not allow it at their home games the ABs would just do it in the shed and I reckon after all the initial hoopla died down NZers would get over it before anyone else, especially the fans and players in that country. It seems to me that fans and players in other countries really enjoy it and wouldnt be proud to be the only place were they didnt get to see it, maybe unless they were French.

If I were a player getting my first test cap at home against the ABs and didnt get to front up the the haka Id be pretty disappointed. Im a New Zealander though so I dont know how people from other parts of the world would feel?

I like how these debates are always "The ABs shouldnt be allowed the haka its not fair!!1!! Oh yeah and I guess those other countries that do it should stop too. Not so worried about them because they dont kick our ass on the regular. But its unfair when NZ do it! Ban the haka!"

Speak for yourself.

Aww, it hurts. :(

If Tonga were the only country that did it would anyone care? Of course not.

If a country decided to not allow it at their home games the ABs would just do it in the shed and I reckon after all the initial hoopla died down NZers would get over it before anyone else, especially the fans and players in that country. It seems to me that fans and players in other countries really enjoy it and wouldnt be proud to be the only place were they didnt get to see it, maybe unless they were French.

If I were a player getting my first test cap at home against the ABs and didnt get to front up the the haka Id be pretty disappointed. Im a New Zealander though so I dont know how people from other parts of the world would feel?

I can tell you that some in the Welsh camp got very bent out of shape when the 2006 AB's did the Haka in the Millennium sheds, and the 74,000 crowd were mostly disappointed if reports in the paper can be believed. Funnily enough, the British newspapers slammed the All Blacks for NOT doing the Haka (well Hello?) .

I'll bet they were even more disppointed after the game started, when the All Blacks did some slamming of their own!

Yeah I remember watching the game and there was quite a bit of booing when the game started without the haka. Then they played footage of the ABs doing the haka in the sheds up on the big screen, people must have been wondering what the hell was going on!

The Welsh players must have been thinking, "Great, now they are really mad, thanks a lot."

I'll bet they were even more disppointed after the game started, when the All Blacks did some slamming of their own!
Well that's a bit of a poor attitude. One I am quite used to seeing, namely every time I venture on TSF, so nothing unusual.

LOL ... yes, I've heard that ... I think he cheats most when he's doing the Haka ...

if only that were true...!

Oh and OneBlackEye: to be perfectly honest nobody gives a small bird's rectum about those other teams that do it; the whole focus is on NZ and their 'haka', so I started a thread about the haka though I've mentioned those other sides. But yes I believe all pompom routines should come to a halt now, we've seen enough of them and for all the reasons I've mentioned many times already - in a perfect world. It's far too rooted into Rugby and will remain probably always, which isn't horrible, just a little bit of an annoyance and clearly unfair is all I'm saying here.

Last edited:
Well that's a bit of a poor attitude. One I am quite used to seeing, namely every time I venture on TSF, so nothing unusual.

Sorry Draggs.

I was referring to the British media, not the Welsh crowd, although re-reading what I posted, it wasn't that clear.

Oh and OneBlackEye: to be perfectly honest nobody gives a small bird's rectum about those other teams that do it; the whole focus is on NZ and their 'haka', so I started a thread about the haka though I've mentioned those other sides. But yes I believe all pompom routines should come to a halt now, we've seen enough of them and for all the reasons I've mentioned many times already - in a perfect world. It's far too rooted into Rugby and will remain probably always, which isn't horrible, just a little bit of an annoyance and clearly unfair is all I'm saying here.

Your entitled to your own opinion, but how is it unfair. Unfair is the all blacks playing against a local clubs under 12s team.

Yep, a total bigot.

Thing is, you wont find any RUGBY people or MAORI whinging about it, you'll find certain bounty-bars in the media who think they speak for both but who actually speak for neither

Just to point out that Ma'a Nonu had quite a lot to say about the Welsh stand-off in 2008. Although he was slammed by the likes of Brooke for doing so.

Just to point out that Ma'a Nonu had quite a lot to say about the Welsh stand-off in 2008. Although he was slammed by the likes of Brooke for doing so.

yep.

Nonu:
"What the Welsh did wound us up. They were probably told by (Wales coach) Warren Gatland to stand there and wait until we leave," he said.

"But it was really hard. The haka is a war dance. If you're going to stand there like that then in the past people would have charged, but it's a rugby match and you can't do that.

"People back home will have been hurt by what they decided to do. Standing in the way like they did is asking for a fight.

"My blood pressure was pretty high but then I regained my composure. I was a bit upset about it."
-----

It's absolutely amazing: you have to stand there, watch them be silly for 5minutes and threaten you figuratively - and if you respond in any kind of way, they're ACTUALLY vexed. This is just brutal. Nonu talks about "charging" ?!!!! Pure drama queen reaction, this is bad.

I'll go back to my initial (and very serious) analogy:
"That would remind me of someone legally being allowed to put his ck in your mouth and if you say anything you get hit in the head and asked to hold still."

It is preposterous, really...but wtvr it's not the end of the world either.

I'll add this:
The haka will continue to be protected like the little straight A student of Rugby, when it's not all that cute in nature, and we will continue to be forced to just...be subjected to it.
France walks up to them in the Final: merely reacting, "being men" (as if that was what being a man is about), doing something of their own, not just standing there, accepting the challenge.........HUGE fine. It's just flat out comical in certain cases.

Nonu talks about "charging" ?!!!!

Well...no.
If you use your eyes (and/or brain) he says that it's a war dance, and that in the past (i.e. when it was performed before a battle) they would've charged afterwards. He's not saying the ABs were about to charge at the Welsh.

Well...no.
If you use your eyes (and/or brain) he says that it's a war dance, and that in the past (i.e. when it was performed before a battle) they would've charged afterwards. He's not saying the ABs were about to charge at the Welsh.

Oh really ?????? thank you for your message......no really.......an absolute benediction from the gods.......*ahem...*
How about the rest of my message, do you have anything equally intelligent to reply to all the rest of that post ?

Last edited:
Your entire point Yoe seems to be built in the fact that teams are 'forced' to face the haka and it gives them an advantage.

As has been pointed out (and you have utterly ignored because it underminds your very weak points) the haka is accepted by invitation of the host nation. If the nations don't want it, it doesn't have to be done. In terms of unfair advantages - as others including myself have mentioned Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Pupua New Guinea, Madagascar, Niue and the Cook Island all do the haka - and I'm sure if there was a culturally significant ceremony another country wished to do - the IRB would allow it. As many have mentioned the general concensus is that you should be allowed to challenge the haka and when the IRB fined France for their walk up - New Zealanders actually donated money to France to help pay the fine http://www.3news.co.nz/Whip-round-t...-fine/tabid/817/articleID/230686/Default.aspx

The rest of your points seem entirely based on your own intolerance for other cultures going as far as to say they don't belong in rugby. I think this demonstrates the difference between you and those disagreeing.

I was going to reply to the futile attempts at justifying the haka as "unfair", but it would simply be a waste.

And seeing as our complainer is annoyed at everything Kiwi/different to them; I'm gonna post some very "Nuh zelahnd" vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZyorJVeqI

Last edited by a moderator:
Rest assured I don't read your posts anymore, I hover over them and as soon as I spot what's enough to discard, I discard...
I was about to drop this whole thing because as you pointed out (in the wrong direction though) it's useless to talk about this.

I did come back to say something I think at very, very least you need to hear. NZ'ers based on all this here, more things around the forum, youtube, or ppl I've met have got to be the single most sensitive - to a *strange* point in extreme cases - people I've encountered in my life. I mean this with no aggressiveness, just pure observation and statement of fact.
And I live, mind you, with Arabs all around me in Qatar, and those guys are 'careful what you say' sensitive in general.

I was almost jaw-dropping when I saw this post above me there.
"annoyed at everything Kiwi/different to them" and posting a video with some dude singing smt iconic of NZ apparently, dunno obviously didn't click it...

All I'll be saying, because this has become down right eerie, is perhaps in a few weeks' time you can return to this thread and calmly read what's been going on. If you disagree with me, no problem. But to see the relentless aggression that's been unleashed towards me, when I'm just, really, pointing out things. The meanest thing is calling the dance a tutu routine, which is humor, just a tad bit of sarcasm as to what I personally feel about it. You know, guys doing the haka, and we have to stand there and watch; I know you don't see it, but to me at very least - to me it's a total prima donna act. That's why I allowed myself to call it a pompom thingy...I didn't insult your moms or try to talk you into satanism or...try to burn down your Star Trek VHS collection......:D

aaaaaaaaanyways...

Anyways..

P.S.: anybody else would have insulted you back. I haven't .At least take this in consideration for this thread, and perhaps others to come...

Last edited:
Sorry Draggs.

I was referring to the British media, not the Welsh crowd, although re-reading what I posted, it wasn't that clear.

No worries. I won't defend the fans or anything, but I'll defend my team as you would yours.
Just a misunderstanding here, take care. :)

Rest assured I don't read your posts anymore, I hover over them and as soon as I spot what's enough to discard, I discard...
I was about to drop this whole thing because as you pointed out (in the wrong direction though) it's useless to talk about this.

I did come back to say something I think at very, very least you need to hear. NZ'ers based on all this here, more things around the forum, youtube, or ppl I've met have got to be the single most sensitive - to a *strange* point in extreme cases - people I've encountered in my life. I mean this with no aggressiveness, just pure observation and statement of fact.
And I live, mind you, with Arabs all around me in Qatar, and those guys are 'careful what you say' sensitive in general..

Yoe, I would imagine most people are sensitive when they are abused.

This phenomena you mention of the kiwis being especially sensitive, funnily enough, is directly attributed to them being the target of your abuse.

You mention, plead even, for a structured, mature debate/discussion, however when someone initially raised some points you basically stomped on their face. How did you expect things to go from there? People are naturally going to stoop to your level (almost anyway) following that - it's a public forum, on the Internet, posters are going to fight fire with fire. The only problem is they can't beat you. You're too much of a f***tard for that. I do apologise for stooping to your level and calling you a name, but as mentioned above, sometimes it can't be avoided.

What amuses me most is your weak defense mechanism when you excuse your abuse for humour, then you just carry on. Do you sometimes grow tired of this act? Seems so.

You have been great for a bit of entertainment in the past, god knows we need it, however your arrogance and seemingly deliberate ignorance is being taken too far, whether it be for your own indulgence or your delusions of comedic importance.

Tone it down a bit, you're wearing very thin.

Circles are starting to be run in this thread now as well, probably best if it fades away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts