• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath 2017/2018

Yeah 3 excellent centres, trouble is 3 isn't enough especially when one is an England international. You know who'd be good? That Devoto kid.

Yeh that kid did great for us last season too, same as woodburn short waldrom and hopfully kvesic. All the players that just wernt quite good enough for other clubs won the premiership.

It shows an issue for bath, you let Devoto Eastmond and Ford go. Developing youngster and exerpeienced first team player thats 2 first choice 12s gone in 1 season And your main playmaker. I know it was hard to keep him after his dad left but still you need to keep talent.

Tough break with injuries but all teams have them. I like bath always have and youve taken wasps and sarries its not a bad place to be after 5 games

Losing Kyle and George was a price well worth playing to get rid of Mike.
A real pity it cost us Ollie.

As for Woodburn... That was a bit longer ago, and he moved for game-time, he's exceeded my expectations for him, but he moved from fighting Roko to be 3rd choice, to fighting Short to be 2nd choice. Had he stayed at Bath with our current squad... He's still be fighting for 3rd choice IMO.

My biggest issue with Todd's pecking order is at SH!

What is wrong with it? Fotuali'i is unavailable atm. I am sure that is what I heard one of the commentators say this weekend. Not sure why he isn't available but Cook is the next best I reckon.

A] because Allinson is ahead of Homer
B] because Allinson... had his contract renewed

Allinson is indeed terrible. Maybe TB feels Homer is benefitting more long-term from being on loan? He can't rate Allinson as better surely.

The main two SHs are both bringing it though. Chris Cook has looked really sharp this year, massive improvement. And I don't think he's had a dumb yellow card yet....?

this year, massive improvement. And I don't think he's had a dumb yellow card yet....?
you know we're going to blame you yeah?
He'll probably get it for mouthing off to the ref too much - I think he's had a warning for that each game.
TBF, I'd applaud a ref for doing so too.

And also add "I love *Insert club you don't like*" as your sig
Too far! We have to stick together here boys

Adding to the Tapuai/Clarke chat - Tapaui was quoted in the Chronic saying he's happy to take a back seat because he played so much rugby last year, what with not having a season break transitioning from SH to NH. Not sure how much the first part is just being media-friendly, but he does have a point about the transition

And we have a architect for the new stadium.
https://www.bathrugby.com/news/grimshaw ... -for-bath/
Looks good, they've done big sports before (Wimbledon, Lords), they've done Bath before (Bath Spa and Bath Uni); and some of their previous projects look quite interesting.
This looks like a good announcement, assuming they still enough budget to design something interesting

Saw it earlier, haven't had a chance to check them out yet, sounds good from what you say. Are they local?

I work in construction recruitment, might ask my colleagues in architecture about them tomorrow

Banahan leaving Bath for Gloucester. Thats a blow for Bath

Saw it earlier, haven't had a chance to check them out yet, sounds good from what you say. Are they local?

I work in construction recruitment, might ask my colleagues in architecture about them tomorrow
Global, though they did Bath Spa, and some buildings at Bath Uni, so they know the planners, and designing iconic buildings in a world heritage acceptable way.
Banahan leaving Bath for Gloucester. Thats a blow for Bath
Yeah, the rumours are £30k extra and an extra year; Double the £££ and an extra year; or an extra year, and double £££ over contract period (so a 30% increase and an extra year). TBH the third sounds the most likely, and could easily be misheard / misunderstood as either of the other 2 options.

From Bana's perspective, he'll be 34 by the end of his contract; he's also losing a little agility, which has always been his achilles heel, and becoming more injury prone. This is his last major contract, and it's a pretty big one, and will set him up for his future after rugby, and put his kids through school, he'll be rightly wanting every extra penny he can get, and that extra year is invaluable to him.
From Glaws' perspective, they get a very good utility back and leader who fits Ackerman's (apparent) desires really well; they've also got plenty of younger options kicking around to be able to take a risk on a senior pro.
From Bath's perspective, he's not a nailed-on starter; we've 4 wings all looking to renew this season; 3 of them are 31. Brew is the best value-for-money, significantly cheasper than Banas, and genuinely challenging him for a starting shirt. Roko is our best winger, and has the least wear in his body for a 31 year old, whilst Williams is our cheapest, youngest (at 29!) and fastest. We need new blood in the back3; and Banas currently presents the worst value-for-money option. Brew has already renewed for 2 years, I expect Roko to get another 2-3, whilst Williams to depend on who we get to replace Banas (rumoured to be Cokanasiga), and whether either academy wing looks ready for senior rugby (1 big, 1 fast). The other factor is the potential replacement, if Cokanasiga was already being lined up (allegedly his new contract with LI gives Bath first refusal if they're relegated), then we'd be bringing in a big boshing wing, which also makes Banahan the most vulnerable to being replaced / least worth a salary increase.
On the salary itself, our initial offer to Bath was (said) to match his existing salary - signed when he was 26 and being capped for England, so hardly a ****-take offer; it's possible he negotiated us up a little from there as well, we just don't know. Bendy (and Fearns) both seem to have been holding a grudge against Bath since leaving, though Carl aims his mostly at MFord; and his claiming that Banas is world class is just a bit... flouncey.

The way I see it, it's a gamble from Glos perspective, and one that may well pay-off for them; but trying to match it would be a greater gamble for Bath.

Yeah, the rumours are £30k extra and an extra year; Double the £££ and an extra year; or an extra year, and double £££ over contract period (so a 30% increase and an extra year). TBH the third sounds the most likely, and could easily be misheard / misunderstood as either of the other 2 options.
Bath Chronicle reporting it as an extra £60k per year as well as an extra year; making that 30% extra for an extra year even more likely as the realistic case before the Chinese Whispers got started. That theory would put Bath's offer at £200k; which sounds about right for an international player 5 years ago, or a squad starter currently. It also suggests that Bath offered £400k over 2 years, Glos offered £780k over 3 - dont blame him for taking that, and I don't blame Bath for not matching it.

Bath Chronicle reporting it as an extra £60k per year as well as an extra year; making that 30% extra for an extra year even more likely as the realistic case before the Chinese Whispers got started. That theory would put Bath's offer at £200k; which sounds about right for an international player 5 years ago, or a squad starter currently. It also suggests that Bath offered £400k over 2 years, Glos offered £780k over 3 - dont blame him for taking that, and I don't blame Bath for not matching it.

Good post, I agree with both points. Third one though, do you agree with Gloucester for being prepared to pay it? I can follow that he could be worth more to Gloucester than Bath depending on the composition of both squads and free agents likely to be available. Previous posts have offered a good insight into his value to Bath, but I don't know enough about Gloucester's squad to know if he could be a silver bullet for them worthy of spending significantly more than Bath were prepared to on him.

I wouldn't claim to know enough about the balance of the Glaws' squad, and where Ackermann wants to take it, to comment on whether he's worth that for them; but I find it perfectly believable that he is... if he stays fit / doesn't decline rapidly with age.
To my eyes they do seem to lack a little leadership, especially in the backline (where 36 is a leader, or all people) - so it could very well be worth the gamble. If not, then it's a gamble that doesn't work out - it happens, as do gambles that pay off handsomly.

The big question is how does that compare to other clubs? That's pretty shocking though

Latest posts