• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath 2017/2018

I am NOT doing minutes played; even just grabbing appearances, which Statbunker puts easily available, and I was losing the will to live.
I've cut off at 8th place, as that was a convenient gap in the table this year; and, as above, I was losing the will to live.
The 15 most used players by each of the top 8 teams; and the total number of players used across the Prem and Europe - AWC not included as it's largely a rotation process.
Season Appearances.jpg

I suppose the most interesting would be how many of that most-used 15 would have been in the first XV as of September 1st 2017; for Bath, I'd count
Fotuali'i
Banahan
Garvey
Joseph
Tapuai
And one of Burns / Priestland

Otherwise; number of players with 20+ Prem appearances (not including KO stages)
Exeter = 5
Sarries = 8
Wasps = 4
Falcons= 6
Tigers= 4
Bath = 2
Glaws = 7
Sale = 11

Number of players who STARTED more than 3/4 of Prem matches (so 17+ starts):
Exeter = 6
Sarries = 4
Wasps = 4
Falcons = 4
Tigers= 4
Bath = 2
Glaws = 4
Sale = 8

That feeling when Goerge ford played more prem games than Owen Williams and Burns, yet loads of people criticised his signing as he will be away so much with England....

That feeling when Goerge ford played more prem games than Owen Williams and Burns, yet loads of people criticised his signing as he will be away so much with England....
Whilst I agree with the sentiment. Last time I looked, 19 was a bigger number than 16

Meant started.
Nice cover.:)
If anyone seriously thought that George would have fewer starts, when his competition is Joe; than Freddie would whilst in competition with Rhys, or Owen would when in competition with Billy - then they were utterly mental, and says more about the Tigers' UnOffy board and their anti-England stance, then it does about reality.
Especially given the huge number of Prem matches that clash with international fixtures (3 isn't it? 4 when there's a 4th AI)

I see Auterac is unhappy with the way we treated him.

Having read the article (on the Facebook page) it looks... quite churlish to me, though that could be club bias playing it's part.
It reads to me like he was given areas to I prove, and didn't want to (work harder, assume a leadership role etc); was offered a contract based on him failing to reach his goals, which he thought was unfair because he didn't want to. It also mentions that he has England ambitions... and we k is what Eddie thinks about players who won't work harder or start shouting/chivvying.

Anyone else read it? How does it read to a neutral on the issue?

I see Auterac is unhappy with the way we treated him.

Having read the article (on the Facebook page) it looks... quite churlish to me, though that could be club bias playing it's part.
It reads to me like he was given areas to I prove, and didn't want to (work harder, assume a leadership role etc); was offered a contract based on him failing to reach his goals, which he thought was unfair because he didn't want to. It also mentions that he has England ambitions... and we k is what Eddie thinks about players who won't work harder or start shouting/chivvying.

Anyone else read it? How does it read to a neutral on the issue?

Yeah read it and I'm split because it comes across badly but then our coaching staff and owner have a history of woeful mismanagement of players so it could be pretty true. If for example he is being asked to take on a leadership role when that goes against his personality then that's just poor management. You need leaders but you also need followers. If everyone is a leader then it just causes a clash of egos and a lack of direction. If he is just being asked to talk to the other players more and be more vocal so those around know what he is doing, then that's a reasonable request even for someone who is shy.

All we can do now is see how he gets on at his next club. It seems a lot of Bath players have improved upon leaving the club and I can't really think of any off the top of my head that improved upon joining Bath.

Yeah read it and I'm split because it comes across badly but then our coaching staff and owner have a history of woeful mismanagement of players so it could be pretty true. If for example he is being asked to take on a leadership role when that goes against his personality then that's just poor management. You need leaders but you also need followers. If everyone is a leader then it just causes a clash of egos and a lack of direction. If he is just being asked to talk to the other players more and be more vocal so those around know what he is doing, then that's a reasonable request even for someone who is shy.

All we can do now is see how he gets on at his next club. It seems a lot of Bath players have improved upon leaving the club and I can't really think of any off the top of my head that improved upon joining Bath.
Yeah - I'm torn too. It reads as a bit entitled to me; and seems to talk a fair bit about how he was treated whilst injured; which is... not good; but then the specifics seem to reflect more upon him than the club.
Whilst injured, most players will go out and do some coaching of kids or local clubs; or put in some hours doing video analysis etc. I completely understand why shyness / introversion would prevent someone from putting themselves out there to do coaching, or work with the charitable foundation, or whatever; but I just can't see why it would prevent him from sitting in a cubicle with only a TV for company doing video analysis.
He's been asked to talk more - is that leadership? or just letting people know where he's standing or going on the pitch, so that others can know without having to look?
A rugby club is a pretty small, intimate community; after a couple of years, even the shyest person should be okay giving their thoughts when asked.

Now that sort of thing isn't going to be written into any contract; and Nic obviously feel that it was too much to ask - in which case it is bad management to expect it of him... However, I'm not sure it is too much to ask; especially if every other longer-term injured player is doing that stuff, then it really doesn't reflect well on the 1 person refusing.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought it was open access
36850610_10155856059998163_8778706114125496320_n.jpg

Player gets injured and told he wasn't trying hard enough to get back.....

Also see his point, some players are not leaders and some do not want to be the centre of attention nothing wrong with that coaches should be able to see it.

At one point he really was the coming man. He may now find himself 3rd choice at an under achieving club.

Man management is so underrated as a skill. His bosses failed to get anywhere near the best out of him, which is a clear failing on their part although we've only heard one side of the story.

He's got to re-establish himself at club level before even thinking about England. But the traits he's just spoken about and displayed are the antithesis of what Jones seems to want so, even if he gets back to form, he's probably just written an international suicide note, certainly on Jones' watch.

He's got to re-establish himself at club level before even thinking about England. But the traits he's just spoken about and displayed are the antithesis of what Jones seems to want so, even if he gets back to form, he's probably just written an international suicide note, certainly on Jones' watch.

Depends on how long Jones' watch lasts. Having read the Andy Cosslett statement in regards to the importance he and the board will place on the results in the Autumn Internationals... well, Eddie doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would react 'well' to hearing that.

He actually comes off quite well in that. Seems pretty honest, can see him and Marler getting on well, may bring out the best in each other

Latest posts