Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Strauss

• Beth Tweddle

• Total voters
G

gingergenius

In a week, there's the UK's biggest annual sports award ceremony. Unfortunately it's voted for by the public, and the collective wisdom of the British public is notoriously ****.

Let's see if TRF can do a better job. Pick the person you think has achieved the most.

Giggs or Button for me. Giggs has been performing at the highest level for 19 years and is one of the few true gentlemen in football. Button won a world championship and is waay more likeable than Lewis Hamilton.

Button by a country mile but Cavendish's achievements in the Tour de France were probably the stand out performance from that lot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 6 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Giggs or Button for me. Giggs has been performing at the highest level for 19 years and is one of the few true gentlemen in football. Button won a world championship and is waay more likeable than Lewis Hamilton.[/b]

Not only are they top sportsmen they sound like top blokes too.

Voted for
red-button-med-30.jpg

Andrew Strauss - quality batsman, quality captain, quality ambassador for English cricket.

There's a British F1 World Champion this year, on a sport that BBC have exclusive coverage of, so naturally he'll win a BBC award.

Voted Cavendish as he's a top notch cyclist, and had a great year (brokes the British record for stage wins in the TdF), and i don't really follow any of the other sports that the others are in,
Wouldn't mind Strauss or Button winning it, though, both had good years, especially Button

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 6 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's a British F1 World Champion this year, on a sport that BBC have exclusive coverage of, so naturally he'll win a BBC award.[/b]

Brawn GP will probably get Team of the Year

thanks to the mod who sorted this out.

I picked Jessica Ennis because she's won a gold medal in the heptathlon, by a country mile. Heptathlon is such a multi-faceted event, being world champion effectively means she's the greatest all-round female athlete in the world.

Most of the others deserve it too, however.

Ryan Giggs may have achieved a lot in his time but I can't help but think they only put him in because the BBC/ public love football and they needed a footballer in the top 10.

Andy Murray is in there as well because for some reason, the BBC loves him. No way does he deserve it, he gets brilliant chances in all of the majors when better players than him go out early, and he always manages to lose to someone worse.

<strike>Button is far nicer than Hamilton - for one he's not a tax cheat.</strike> He's also had a fantastic year. But I can't help but think that, after so many years of being average, it's more the car than his driving that's brought success. Not a fan of F1 at all, but he'll win it because he's nice and has got the most publicity.

Beth Tweddle's been plugging away for ages at a high standard. Tom Daley's done amazingly well but diving is such a boring sport.

David Haye has by far the best personality but 2010 should be his year to maximise on this year's achievements.

Andrew Strauss should come second, without him the England team would be nothing. He may not have the talent of Pietersen or Tendaulkar or the batting greats, but he always scores hundreds when they're needed, and against the best opposition in the toughest conditions. Plus, he's an Ashes winning captain.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Dec 6 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 6 2009, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a British F1 World Champion this year, on a sport that BBC have exclusive coverage of, so naturally he'll win a BBC award.[/b]

Brawn GP will probably get Team of the Year
[/b][/quote]

No doubt others in the contention will be Chelsea, Man United, Leeds Rhinos and, ohhh I dunno, the Davies cup team. It's almost a certainty that BBC will give the award to any team in a sport that Auntie cover.

A good example is Carl Fogarty won his 3rd SBK World Championship in 1998, but Michael sodding Owen was given the award just because he scored a single (if admittedly good) goal against Argentina in the World Cup.... Foggy wasn't even shortlisted.

Guess which of the sports BBC didn't cover on TV.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 6 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 6 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Button lives in Monaco, of course he's a tax cheat.[/b]

I refute everything I said about him being better than Hamilton.
[/b][/quote]

Can't blame him. All this government would do is spend the tax on getting their moats cleaned or a new kitchen each.

FARCE

Yet another example of the BBC not wanting to annoy Man United

or

Yet another example of the vast majority of the British public know SOD ALL about sport.

You choose

Another example of both. No British footballer is worthy of being in that top 10, but the BBC had to put one in because they are obsessed with football (true, just listen to 5Live).

The public had to pick a footballer because they are obsessed with football.

Anyway, I watched it with an American who knows f*** all about sport and we had a cracking time laughing through all the cringes and especially the Capello/ Ballesteros/ Olazabal parts, (even though the SPanish bit was very moving too...)

Isn't it supposed to be personality of the year, not just most successful? So what if Ryan Giggs has won 11 ***les, 2x European Cups etc. Where's his personality?! Gazza winning it in 1990 was because of his personality - crying because he couldn't play in the final, showing passion. Same with Flintoff in 2005 - getting ****** out of his head after winning the Ashes. What has Ryan Giggs even done remotely like this? What a farce.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Isn't it supposed to be personality of the year, not just most successful? So what if Ryan Giggs has won 11 ***les, 2x European Cups etc. Where's his personality?! Gazza winning it in 1990 was because of his personality - crying because he couldn't play in the final, showing passion. Same with Flintoff in 2005 - getting ****** out of his head after winning the Ashes. What has Ryan Giggs even done remotely like this? What a farce.[/b]

Been one of the few players of the modern game not to constantly look like a twat?

Don't agree with Giggs winning it, but it's still remarkable that he's had such a great season at his age. He's one of the nice guys aswell, who keeps himself to himself, and is always a gracious winner and looser when being interviewed. He's probably one of the best footballers of recent times, and has been very unlucky to never get to play in a majour international tournament.

Latest posts