Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

DuncTheDoodle

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
If we're to ignore the secondary commentators, who are essentially pundits in the box, who is your favourite lead commentator to listen to? For whatever reasons- They're funny, they've got a good voice, they elevate the game, they know their stuff, etc. It'll be interesting to see how opinion divides between nations.

(Tried to make the poll as wide-reaching as possible with only ten options available to me. Had to leave off the other South African guy, Gareth 'Charlo' Charles and the weird Irish bloke who sounds like a minor character from Sesame Street.)

*Mark Robson is listed as Mark Robertson. Umm, sorry.

Last edited:
I really like Nick Mullins on BT Sport.
Has good banter with whoever he's co-commentating with (especially Healy), and knows his stuff considering he's not an ex-player.

I like the main Scottish guy. Exciting and clever guy.
The Welshman with a big deep voice. Perfect diction and brings power to the game.
I like our French guys on France 2, Galthié is good.
I like the two main current NZ'ers. Classic voice, not biased and then the other guy is the more young/excited but positive/unbiased guy. Cool combo.
I like the main Aussie guy a lot. Unbiased for the most part, spot-on in description, and when he is biased it's really a bit tongue-in-cheek, nothing serious. Aussie style.

I really like Nick Mullins on BT Sport.
Has good banter with whoever he's co-commentating with (especially Healy), and knows his stuff considering he's not an ex-player.
Agreed, actually. He was the salvaging feature of ITV's World Cup coverage.

I like Andrew Cotter for similar reasons. He's witty and dry and managed to hide his constant frustration with how Scotland seem to be playing whenever he commentates on them. Also an excellent, calm voice.

I went for Greg Clark because I know him the best, but I have a soft spot for Mark Robson, but he's not on the list. And we all know Justin Marshall is my choice for the guy riding shotgun. :)

das

I went for Greg Clark because I know him the best, but I have a soft spot for Mark Robson, but he's not on the list. And we all know Justin Marshall is my choice for the guy riding shotgun. :)

das
D'oh! I wrote Mark Robertson by mistake. Never mind. I've never been sure of his name. I exclusively refer to him as "Irish guy".

These guys aren't listed, but I quite like Bob Symonds, John Taylor, and Jon Champion- all of whom have been involved in ITV's World Cup coverage and I really hope to hear them in 2015. The latter is actually a football commentator most of the time.

Gordon Bray's a classic, but I haven't heard that much of him.

I didn't realize so many people disliked Miles Harrison. He's probably up there as one of my favourites, alongside Eddie Butler and Tony Johnson.

These guys aren't listed, but I quite like Bob Symonds, John Taylor, and Jon Champion- all of whom have been involved in ITV's World Cup coverage and I really hope to hear them in 2015. The latter is actually a football commentator most of the time.

Gordon Bray's a classic, but I haven't heard that much of him.

I didn't realize so many people disliked Miles Harrison. He's probably up there as one of my favourites, alongside Eddie Butler and Tony Johnson.

I really dislike him but can see why UK viewers would like him more than I do. It was always cringe time for Canadian fans when he came on for Churchill Cup coverage, he would not fit in over here at all.

He never lets the game speak for itself and feels the need to not allow a moment of silence without interjecting himself. He comes off as though he has a thesauras or dictionary beside him at all times and some of the words he's usd to describe play I've laughed out loud at. He really comes off as a guy attempting to show us how intelligent he is a all times and I hope not to tick anyone off here but he kind of seems like a stereotypical upper class snob from England who got the commentary job because his pals at University gave it to him in a drunken bet at the Empire Club.

Even more than those things I hate the little rhetorical questions he asks himself before certain moments e.g. "Well this is a tough kick for him, to bring Saracens within two, can he do it here? In these conditions? In this close a match" Kick is taken and is succesful Yes he can!!!" Like just Shut the **** up and let the kick speak for itself the viewers at home can see the scoreboard and know the stakes!!! .........Argggggghhhhh rant over

I really dislike him but can see why UK viewers would like him more than I do. It was always cringe time for Canadian fans when he came on for Churchill Cup coverage, he would not fit in over here at all.

He never lets the game speak for itself and feels the need to not allow a moment of silence without interjecting himself. He comes off as though he has a thesauras or dictionary beside him at all times and some of the words he's usd to describe play I've laughed out loud at. He really comes off as a guy attempting to show us how intelligent he is a all times and I hope not to tick anyone off here but he kind of seems like a stereotypical upper class snob from England who got the commentary job because his pals at University gave it to him in a drunken bet at the Empire Club.

Even more than those things I hate the little rhetorical questions he asks himself before certain moments e.g. "Well this is a tough kick for him, to bring Saracens within two, can he do it here? In these conditions? In this close a match" Kick is taken and is succesful Yes he can!!!" Like just Shut the **** up and let the kick speak for itself the viewers at home can see the scoreboard and know the stakes!!! .........Argggggghhhhh rant over

Oh damn yes! Can't stand the guy.
Oh, and even though he's no longer with us, Bill McLaren will always remain the best rugby commentator.

(also have a soft spot for Scott Quinnell, who after 3 years, still couldn't pronounce Casey Laulala's name)

(also also (maybe these should have been 'ps' instead of also), 'the Jedi' deserves a mention)

Last edited:
What is the name of the Aussie commentator of Fox?

This guy:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the name of the Aussie commentator of Fox?

This guy:

I think there are three commentators there.

"Its Weepu with the kick"... that's Greg Clark

"what about this little bit of magic"... I think this is Greg Martin (Marto)

"aww, you don't see that in some of the best nightclubs in Sydney"... Phil Kearns

I'm certain about the first and last, not so certain about Greg Martin though. - I'm sure an Aussie will correct me if I have it wrong

125878-fox-sports-rugby-team.jpg

The Fox Sports Rugby commentators, from left to right: Greg Clark, Tim Horan,
Phil Kearns, Brendan Cannon, Greg Martin, Rod Kafer and Nick McArdle

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/g...orld-cup-in-2011/story-e6frf4pu-1226010113827

Andrew Voss who commentates in the NRL is funny , i voted for Greg Clarke because he seems to me the most unbiased.

Where's Keith Quinn in the list ... he's got my vote :)

Greg Clark, that's the guy's name ! Like that guy a lot...damn, always thought he'd be a skinny middle-aged Aussie with that typical sarcastic grin...
interesting how we imagine people based on their voices ! The reasons why we imagine them looking like this or like that...

For me: Alejandro Coccia from Argentina. He's my favorite commentator. Please, listen to this:

Diego Albanese's try and last minutes against Ireland in RWC 1999.

I think there are three commentators there.

"Its Weepu with the kick"... that's Greg Clark

"what about this little bit of magic"... I think this is Greg Martin (Marto)

"aww, you don't see that in some of the best nightclubs in Sydney"... Phil Kearns

I'm certain about the first and last, not so certain about Greg Martin though. - I'm sure an Aussie will correct me if I have it wrong

125878-fox-sports-rugby-team.jpg

The Fox Sports Rugby commentators, from left to right: Greg Clark, Tim Horan,
Phil Kearns, Brendan Cannon, Greg Martin, Rod Kafer and Nick McArdle

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/g...orld-cup-in-2011/story-e6frf4pu-1226010113827

Yeah, then Greg Clark is THE MAN

whats the name of the scottish commentator um dave nicol someone like that id say him for the best commentator