• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best England Game Ever

Heresy probably, but in the 19 semi vs NZ we were very very good from the Haka formation onwards but that really wasn't a vintage NZ team. While still an excellent performance, with hindsight it doesn't feel quite like the era defining win it did at the time. I think we celebrated more beating the aura more than anything else. Maybe we've had unrealistic expectations ever since.
I would agree it certainly wasn't a vintage side the 2012 game possibly was against better opposition (and we lost to SA and Aus in Autumn) but its hard to tell in that rugby cycle we played them once in 1 point game it still felt they had the wood over us. I think Olyy's reasonning to showing it to a kid is sound. I grew up with the orc's its far better to be watching sides with players you know.

Also my uncle got to go to the 2012 game and he can't be forgiven for being that damn lucky ;)

Minor point: Even if you don;t like basketball (and I don't) watch 'The Last Dance' its fantastic.

2007 Croke Park obviously.

For a slightly serious answer England v France 2015. One of the most entertaining games ever, and the end result was on the line until the end. That it finished with Ireland winning the Six Nations is just an added bonus.

2019 RWC is also a good shout, recognising players is fun.

I can't believe I ended up giving this a real answer.

2007 Croke Park obviously.
Have to say whilst it's understandable why the Irish absolutely love that. I've always been disappointed by it not for the fact we lost but I just felt with all the history behind that game it deserved a better England side. Not one that would win but one that showed up and fronted up.

Some interesting calls on here, thanks for the (mostly) genuine help!

I think if it were just me I'd want to watch the Ireland match in 2003 again (which is actually one I'd forgotten about). However I reckon for a little guy with a limited attention span, who may recognise some of the names in due course my shortlist is the semi final in 2019 or France in 2015. And leaning towards France for pure entertainment factor.

A nice distraction from us England and Wales fans baiting each other about this weekend!

England v Wales 2016 6N. After being 19-0 ahead, they held on despite conceding three tries in the last 20 minutes.

Update...watched the Eng-Fra 2015 game with the little guy on Saturday. He loved it! Think his favourite bit was watching Courtney Lawes' tackle their fly half back to the stone age. Legal at the time (just! A few milliseconds later and he'd have been in trouble), I wonder if it would have been ruled legal these days?

Absolute cracker of a match for pure entertainment value, and I remember at the time it was also full of classic 6N tension as well (but not in the normal stodgy way) as we were chasing the 26 point win for the ***le, falling agonisingly short! Never seen a team of players look so gutted after putting 55 points against France!

He got a bit tired, fidgety and lost attention a bit in the second half, but I can understand that. He lasted longer than my wife!!

Thanks for the suggestions all. I haven't really gone back to watch old games before (except the '03 RWC final which was nowhere near as good second time round), might do it a bit more!

Think the Lawes tackle would still be legal today, he was fully committed whilst the French fly half still had the ball (as noted just).

But apart from that it's still a completely legal tackle.

Another ref may have said it was late if they hadn't called in a real time.

2003 v NZ, when they were down to 13 at one stage, in NZ, a pretty good all blacks team. I was awe struck at the time.

I can't leave it there, there was also
NZ 2005, when the all blacks won in England despite being down to 13. England's apparently great scrum was destroyed, and by a pack with fewer players.

1995 rwc semifinal

2003 rwc v samoa, England won but Samoa did well

The game they drew against Scotland a few years ago

2015 rwc v australia, because everyone on here was saying how easy it was going to be because England always beats Australia, and I had said yeah but that's only because you always have a better scrum but now australia has the better scrum, and everyone was like nah you're an idiot Australia's scrum is crap, and then australia destroyed England in the scrum. Fun times.

2015 rwc v Wales. Needed to add salt.

Well thanks for the thread, what a great idea

2003 v NZ, when they were down to 13 at one stage, in NZ, a pretty good all blacks team. I was awe struck at the time.

I can't leave it there, there was also
NZ 2005, when the all blacks won in England despite being down to 13. England's apparently great scrum was destroyed, and by a pack with fewer players.

1995 rwc semifinal

2003 rwc v samoa, England won but Samoa did well

The game they drew against Scotland a few years ago

2015 rwc v australia, because everyone on here was saying how easy it was going to be because England always beats Australia, and I had said yeah but that's only because you always have a better scrum but now australia has the better scrum, and everyone was like nah you're an idiot Australia's scrum is crap, and then australia destroyed England in the scrum. Fun times.

2015 rwc v Wales. Needed to add salt.

Well thanks for the thread, what a great idea

So nice of you to remember 2003 in Wellington.;)

Outside the RWC 2019 semi, that really was a great test win!

Outside of that choose any of the England 2003 side pre RWC from winning the GS in Ireland to winning those wins down under pre-RWC because that England side properly peaked too early. The performance in Melbourne in particular was great AIRR.

The 2003 RWC was just not a great performance per se. Just a bloody relief to get it done.

Has to be 2003 World Cup final. That game was so enjoyable

A couple of games mentioned here that I went to with contrasting memories. RWC semi in 91 - result was all and Hastings was kind enough to miss that kick right in front of me. And then Croke Park, less said about that the better.

Heresy probably, but in the 19 semi vs NZ we were very very good from the Haka formation onwards but that really wasn't a vintage NZ team. While still an excellent performance, with hindsight it doesn't feel quite like the era defining win it did at the time. I think we celebrated more beating the aura more than anything else. Maybe we've had unrealistic expectations ever since.
Hastings missing that kick is one of my happy moments in life

Eng-NZ 2019 RWC SF
All day long.
Not the highest scoring game around but for sheer grit and guts. In fact I think I'm going to watch it again right now - feels good.

Latest posts