• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best national anthem?

nothing wrong with having a 'war song' - idea of anthems is to instill a sense of pride and nothing does that better!

there's also a lot of criticism of FoS as being stuck in the past (mainly from english entities) but most seem to forgett the line "those days are past now, and in the past they must remain"

must admit though ive got La Marseillaise stuck in my head now - just as i had Fields of Athenry back in march - boy i wish we had such a catchy song to sing.

nothing wrong with having a 'war song' - idea of anthems is to instill a sense of pride and nothing does that better!

there's also a lot of criticism of FoS as being stuck in the past (mainly from english entities) but most seem to forgett the line "those days are past now, and in the past they must remain"

must admit though ive got La Marseillaise stuck in my head now - just as i had Fields of Athenry back in march - boy i wish we had such a catchy song to sing. [/b]

To be honest, FoS is such a dirge that when they begin winding up to sing it, it reminds me of air raid sirens starting up. Having said that, I find God Save The Queen of a similar ilk, also without any real bite. Jerusalem is much better, excellent in fact, but again just falls short of what a good anthem needs - perhaps a kind of martial air about it. Perhaps something like The Foo Fighters lastest song/video, The Pretender, may do, but I can't imagine the boys singing that, let alone acting it out - lol.

<div class='quotemain'>
I am a fan of the French one, its got a bouncy-ness to it
[/b]

Nice and Bouncy, but these are the lyrics of some of it:

Let's go children of the fatherland,
The day of glory has arrived!
Against us tyranny's
Bloody flag is raised! (repeat)
In the countryside, do you hear
The roaring of these fierce soldiers?
They come right to our arms
To slit the throats of our sons, our friends!

Grab your weapons, citizens!
Form your batallions!
Let us march! Let us march!
May impure blood
Water our fields!

:unsure: Nice and cheery :p
[/b][/quote]

sheesh, now I read the words, I think it is worse than the new Haka and should be banned :spiteful:

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Against us tyranny's

Form your batallions!
May impure blood
Water our fields!

[/b][/quote]

sheesh, now I read the words, I think it is worse than the new Haka and should be banned :spiteful:
[/b][/quote]Don't touch my national anthem :%#%#:

la marseilliaise is the best anthem of the world.in the second place it's south africa's anthem and to finish flower of scotland

russia has the best anthem in the world, the second is one of the old republics, i think its either tajikistan or kyrgystan im thinking of

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Against us tyranny's

Form your batallions!
May impure blood
Water our fields!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I think there can't be any discussion about anthem, even if they talk abou wars, blood or anything else that can be considered "political uncorrect"...

They rapresent the story and the proud of a nation in the past centuries...

I'm italian, our anthem has a text that (except the first part that's always sung before matches) is pretty unknown to anybody... (and that's better, 'cause it's pretty incomprehensible) and "musically" it a simple, little march, but it's ours... it's "US"

(...sorry for my english...)

One of the weirdest, not the worst but the weirdest has to be South Africa's national anthem. The players recite it like Ahnuld robots and it just sounds like some 1970s robotic voice is reciting it. Very retro guys.

If we think about the way it is song before a match, then there is no doubt that the best anthem is the one from Argentina!! The Pumas REALLY sing with their hearts!!

On the musical side, i have to say one of my favourites is the Italian anthem!! Maybe that is because i'm a huge Michael Schumacher fan and i loved it when the italian anthem was played at the podium after his victories.

One of the weirdest, not the worst but the weirdest has to be South Africa's national anthem. The players recite it like Ahnuld robots and it just sounds like some 1970s robotic voice is reciting it. Very retro guys.
[/b]

Probably because there's so much of it to remember. At least it doesn't only have 4 recitable words like "God save the Queen" :p

The French and the Italians have great anthems! Have heard the French anthem in Stade de France last year and it was amazing.

I think I like the Italian, because I hear it so much at the end of an F1 race!!

Both have great energy.

I love the NZ anthem of course, and always feel it deep down when sung before an ABs game (like you should) but also think it is a bit long (esp with the duel languages). Hoping like hell I hear it seven times in the next 6 weeks though!!!!