• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blue Bulls sign 18-year-old Pollard

None of those guys were poached. They were all signed because the Stormers had no one else or the squad was dangerously thin and they were playing first devision Currie Cup rugby. They were aquired and used. Not stolen to sit on a bench. Just to give you a example we had to get guys from oversea to help out. The Sharks had to play JP at 13. Lions also used a NZ. Because there is no one else due to the fact they are all tied for the Bulls playing Vodacom rugby or sitting on a bench.

And no the Bulls the get the cream of the crop and throw the left overs for the other unions.

Once again, Whose fault is that???!!!

If you want to blame the Bulls for taking the cream of the crop, then fine, We'll take the blame for having better scouts than the other franchises..

As for the Stormers and Sharks not poaching... Let me give you some insight, Duane Vermeulen and Willem Alberts were both contracted for the Lions academy, they studied at UJ and were along with Jean Deysel in Dromedaris Mens Hostel. all 3 got then contracts at the Lions, of which only Alberts played matches for the Lions in their first season at the academy... Then when the Lions wanted to renew their contracts, only Alberts did, but Vermeulen and Jean Deysel told them, that they'll think about it, only for the Lionsto find out the next Monday in the Newspapers that they had signed for the Sharks and Stormers respectively. a Year later, and Alberts and Ludick followed suit...

If that's not poaching then I don't understand the term at all...

the bottom line to all this disagreements and finger-pointing is this:

All the players agreed to terms with the different Franchises, and we as the general public have no right to judge any person or team on that.

Hell, if a guy thinks that his career is in jeapordy at the Bulls, then why doesn't he end his contract and go somewhere else? There's a reason for the "Escape Clause" in their contracts

Not usually one to nit-pick and it doesn't discount your point but Vermeulen played for the Cheetahs before coming over to the WP. Him, Brussow and Juan Smith were an amazing combination and back in the day turned over many a 'bigger' team.

Not usually one to nit-pick and it doesn't discount your point but Vermeulen played for the Cheetahs before coming over to the WP. Him, Brussow and Juan Smith were an amazing combination and back in the day turned over many a 'bigger' team.

Yes, I forgot he was poached by the Cheetahs first, and then by the Stormers...

By the way... Most ridiculous transfer was Jano Vermaak. He could play as a first choice scrum half at any province, even WP and Natal. Not just the Bulls fault, Vermaak is just a stupid moron sitting on the bench in stead of playing in the starting lineup in Durban for instance. I will never understand that move.

The Bulls should consider the future of SA rugby before harvesting all the talent. In the long run this is not good for the development of the talent.

The guys mentioned by heineken are different since they play on a regular basis and were brought in for positions where they could develop themselves (I.E. Willem Alberts, Duane Vermeulen, Louis Ludik, Bismarck du Plessis and many others)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

By the way... Most ridiculous transfer was Jano Vermaak. He could play as a first choice scrum half at any province, even WP and Natal. Not just the Bulls fault, Vermaak is just a stupid moron sitting on the bench in stead of playing in the starting lineup in Durban for instance. I will never understand that move.

The Bulls should consider the future of SA rugby before harvesting all the talent. In the long run this is not good for the development of the talent.

The guys mentioned by heineken are different since they play on a regular basis and were brought in for positions where they could develop themselves (I.E. Willem Alberts, Duane Vermeulen, Louis Ludik, Bismarck du Plessis and many others)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

But they are looking to the future dammit!

Morne Steyn is almost at his sell-by date... Dunlop is going to the Kings, Tony might be going to join his brother at the Lions, and Louis Fouche will always remain a second string backup... that leaves Pollard. And with new coaches joining the fray at the Bulls, we have actually seen their backline performing, I see it as a step in the right direction by getting a player who can do everything, not just kick...

But they are looking to the future dammit!Morne Steyn is almost at his sell-by date... Dunlop is going to the Kings, Tony might be going to join his brother at the Lions, and Louis Fouche will always remain a second string backup... that leaves Pollard. And with new coaches joining the fray at the Bulls, we have actually seen their backline performing, I see it as a step in the right direction by getting a player who can do everything, not just kick...
Bulls have already bought the top 3 schoolboy flyhalves in the country for starters.They are stockpiling, and they don't care if these kids actually get any game time up north. What happened to CJ Stander btw?

Last edited:
Bulls have already bought the top 3 schoolboy flyhalves in the country for starters.They are stockpiling, and they don't care if these kids actually get any game time up north. What happened to CJ Stander btw?

He's gone to Munster where he'll start pretty much every game.

He's gone to Munster where he'll start pretty much every game.
Exactly. They buy up everything then sell some of to teams abroad. Its ok if these guys were in the twilight of their career but most are still youngsters. Its going to hurt the National team. Bulls wasting talent. Other thing I ponder about is how much they pay these guys. It must be huge amounts because who wants to live in Pretoria?

Exactly. They buy up everything then sell some of to teams abroad. Its ok if these guys were in the twilight of their career but most are still youngsters. Its going to hurt the National team. Bulls wasting talent. Other thing I ponder about is how much they pay these guys. It must be huge amounts because who wants to live in Pretoria?

Obviously not loads if he's gone to live in Limerick or Cork.

Obviously not loads if he's gone to live in Limerick or Cork.
I was referring to the Bulls. They have to throw huge sums at 18 yr olds because Pretoria is not much of a atrraction on its own.
That is not poaching. Poaching is when you go our and buy the best 3 young players in almost every position. Not because other teams don't look after them its just they can't throw huge sums of cash at them like the Bulls can. Its turning into the SPL. Sharks were interested in Pollard but backed off as they got the Du Preez twins and others coming through. Bulls said their scouts id these guys but it looks like a hit and miss affair as they buy everything up and throw away those that were a miss years later.

Uhm, how did the Bulls throw Stander to the Irish??

He decided not to extend his contract with the Bulls and rather go to Ireland for more money...

Maybe the fact that he didn't get a chance but had to sit on the bench to see Miss Dewald Potgieter screw things up time and time again?

Maybe the fact that he didn't get a chance but had to sit on the bench to see Miss Dewald Potgieter screw things up time and time again?

Where did he not get a chance?

He was the starter for nearly the entire season while Dewald Potgieter was out injured...

He proved time and time again that he has the talent and was even called up to the Springbok extended squad, now after the winter tours, they didn't start him and now all of a sudden he didn't get a chance? This after it was already confirmed he's going to Ireland... Man you guys are way too harsh on the Bulls

Centres: Jan Serfontein, Johann Sadie, Dries Swanepoel, William Small- Smith, JJ Engelbrecht, Francois Venter. That is the 6 best youngsters with their ages close to each other all playing for a team that can use 3 of them max. When are the others going to see game time?

Centres: Jan Serfontein, Johann Sadie, Dries Swanepoel, William Small- Smith, JJ Engelbrecht, Francois Venter. That is the 6 best youngsters with their ages close to each other all playing for a team that can use 3 of them max. When are the others going to see game time?

3 per game, with Engelbrecht covering wing too... Have you ever heard of the word called "INJURIES"???

3 per game, with Engelbrecht covering wing too... Have you ever heard of the word called "INJURIES"???

Even if 1 or two gets injured which is highly unlikely because they only see ball with a open try line that still leave 2 guys out of a spot. 3 is more than enough but 6 is ridiculous considering they could be playing somewhere else with a regular starting line up. Stop being selfish and just think for a minute if its good for SA rugby that 3 of your top up and coming players is not seeing game time like they should.

Even if 1 or two gets injured which is highly unlikely because they only see ball with a open try line that still leave 2 guys out of a spot. 3 is more than enough but 6 is ridiculous considering they could be playing somewhere else with a regular starting line up. Stop being selfish and just think for a minute if its good for SA rugby that 3 of your top up and coming players is not seeing game time like they should.

Selfish? If the other unions didn't want them, then it's a gain for us. competition can only be a good thing for these youngsters, it will keep them humble. and not all 6 of them will immediately just get a super rugby or currie cup spot, some of them will play Vodacom Cup and Under 19 & 21 teams first, and only then be considered for the Super Rugby team.

Yes, but you could ask yourself if Pollard wouldn't be better off with Griquas for instance. A smaller union with more chances of playing Currie Cup rugby to start Pollard's career.