• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bok 23 RC 2014

Imagine

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Golden Lions
Alright guys, the way I see it there has been a lot of talk about HM having a hard choice for the up-coming RC. So I thought it would be fun to put a side together of 23 players and see what might come out.

This is the result, I have tried to get utility in the side and go on form from this season's SR and international test's. I would like to hear what you guys think and see who you would pick as well?

Have fun, Imagine :D

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Victor Matfield
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Fourie du Peez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Damian de Allende
14. JP Pietersen
15. Willie le Roux

16. Adriaan Strauss
17. Coenie Oosthuizen
18. Gurthro Steenkamp
19. Lood de Jager
20. Marcell Coetzee
21. Marnitz Boshoff
22. Francois Hougaard
23. Lwazi Mvovo

Hmm. I don't much care for crystal balling; like Big Ewis above me I don't think we'll see too much change from HM's stated preferences. I can see us fielding a team looking like the left hand column whereas my own selections if I were to be in charge would be on the right;

Players I assume as being unavailable but which I (in my current capacity as fantasy SA selector) or I think HM would consider include:
Arno Botha, Boom Prinsloo (guy was in some awesome form leading up to injury), PSdT, De Villiers. Otherwise, though not injured I also see Jaque Fourie and Frans Steyn as unavailable.

[TABLE="class: outer_border, width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]My reading of HM's mind[/TD]
[TD]My own considerations[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Starting XV[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1 Tendai Mtawarira[/TD]
[TD]1 Heinke van der Merwe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2 Bismarck du Plessis[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Jannie du Plessis[/TD]
[TD]3 Frans Malherbe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Eben Etzebeth[/TD]
[TD]4 Lood de Jager[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5 Victor Matfield[/TD]
[TD]5 Eben Etzebeth[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6 Francois Louw[/TD]
[TD]6 Francois Louw[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7 Willem Alberts[/TD]
[TD]7 Duane Vermeulen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8 Duane Vermeulen[/TD]
[TD]8 Warren Whiteley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9 Fourie du Preez[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10 Morne Steyn[/TD]
[TD]10 Handre Pollard[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 Bryan Habana[/TD]
[TD]11 Lwazi Mvovo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12 Jan Serfontein[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13 JP Pietersen[/TD]
[TD]13 Damian de Allende[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14 Lwazi Mvovo[/TD]
[TD]14 Jesse Kriel[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15 Willie le Roux[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bench[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16 Coenie Oosthuizen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17 Adriaan Strauss[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18 Lood de Jager[/TD]
[TD]18 Juandre Kruger[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19 Schalk Burger[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20 Ruan Pienaar[/TD]
[TD]20 Cobus Reinach[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21 Handre Pollard[/TD]
[TD]21 Pat Lambie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22 Damian de Allende[/TD]
[TD]22 JP Pietersen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Some motivations for my own selections other than what I expect from HM; I really think Beast, Jannie and Alberts need an extended break and I can't see Jake White giving it to them with him being a bit of an A-hole and the Sharks sure to make the play-offs. I certainly see Beast and Alberts as part of 'my' Bok team further on though. I don't see Matfield as up to the pace I expect form NZ and Aus and think we don't need him. Other than that I pick overseas based players I think we can get what we need from in Heinke van der Merwe and Juandre Kruger while I drop Pienaar and Hougaard who have not delivered on so much time afforded to them. Morne Steyn and Habana I leave but will have in the RWC squad of 31. I reward the form backrower (ITO play-making I think we are lacking at 8) and top SA tackler (Warren Whiteley) and back (Damian de Allende- power and fine skills already? sign me up) with call ups and starts to send a message that SR form and being based locally does count. Jesse Kriel I have as a bolter on the wing because I like the skillset he posesses on top of enough beef for test rugby and he has a way of getting into try scoring positions (and a good understanding with Pollard already).

Last edited:
I'm with Stormer on this one... Way too early to think of this. there's still a month of Super Rugby to be played before the RC starts, and there is a lot that can still happen. Injuries are my biggest worry. as we are really hammered on that front. We cannot afford any more injuries, we should now be getting good news about guys being available again, that isn't injured anymore....

They don't like fun, Imagine. Don't let them get you down. XV lists is the very soul of a rugby forum, never let them take it away from you even if you have to go it alone!

Hmm. I don't much care for crystal balling; like Big Ewis above me I don't think we'll see too much change from HM's stated preferences. I can see us fielding a team looking like the left hand column whereas my own selections if I were to be in charge would be on the right;

Players I assume as being unavailable but which I (in my current capacity as fantasy SA selector) or I think HM would consider include:
Arno Botha, Boom Prinsloo (guy was in some awesome form leading up to injury), PSdT, De Villiers. Otherwise, though not injured I also see Jaque Fourie and Frans Steyn as unavailable.

[TABLE="class: outer_border, width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]My reading of HM's mind[/TD]
[TD]My own considerations[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Starting XV[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1 Tendai Mtawarira[/TD]
[TD]1 Heinke van der Merwe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Jannie du Plessis[/TD]
[TD]3 Frans Malherbe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Eben Etzebeth[/TD]
[TD]4 Lood de Jager[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5 Victor Matfield[/TD]
[TD]5 Eben Etzebeth[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6 Francois Louw[/TD]
[TD]6 Francois Louw[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7 Willem Alberts[/TD]
[TD]7 Duane Vermeulen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8 Duane Vermeulen[/TD]
[TD]8 Warren Whiteley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10 Morne Steyn[/TD]
[TD]10 Handre Pollard[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 Bryan Habana[/TD]
[TD]11 Lwazi Mvovo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13 JP Pietersen[/TD]
[TD]13 Damian de Allende[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14 Lwazi Mvovo[/TD]
[TD]14 Jesse Kriel[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bench[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18 Lood de Jager[/TD]
[TD]18 Juandre Kruger[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20 Ruan Pienaar[/TD]
[TD]20 Cobus Reinach[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21 Handre Pollard[/TD]
[TD]21 Pat Lambie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22 Damian de Allende[/TD]
[TD]22 JP Pietersen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Some motivations for my own selections other than what I expect from HM; I really think Beast, Jannie and Alberts need an extended break and I can't see Jake White giving it to them with him being a bit of an A-hole and the Sharks sure to make the play-offs. I certainly see Beast and Alberts as part of 'my' Bok team further on though. I don't see Matfield as up to the pace I expect form NZ and Aus and think we don't need him. Other than that I pick overseas based players I think we can get what we need from in Heinke van der Merwe and Juandre Kruger while I drop Pienaar and Hougaard who have not delivered on so much time afforded to them. Morne Steyn and Habana I leave but will have in the RWC squad of 31. I reward the form backrower (ITO play-making I think we are lacking at 8) and top SA tackler (Warren Whiteley) and back (Damian de Allende- power and fine skills already? sign me up) with call ups and starts to send a message that SR form and being based locally does count. Jesse Kriel I have as a bolter on the wing because I like the skillset he posesses on top of enough beef for test rugby and he has a way of getting into try scoring positions (and a good understanding with Pollard already).

I really like the idea of WW at 8 and I agree that some of our players need a break, but I think playing Pollard at such a high level this season might not produce the results we are hoping for. Give him a chance at Super Rugby level first, because playing Scotland and playing The All Blacks, The Wallabies and The Pumas are completely different experiences.

Schalk is a really good player without a doubt, not to mention the fact that he can play both open and closed side flank as a bonus!!! I didn't pick him because I am worried that after his brush with bad health he isn't the player he once was and will struggle in the RC.

But I appreciate the input :D

I'm with Stormer on this one... Way too early to think of this. there's still a month of Super Rugby to be played before the RC starts, and there is a lot that can still happen. Injuries are my biggest worry. as we are really hammered on that front. We cannot afford any more injuries, we should now be getting good news about guys being available again, that isn't injured anymore....

This is 100% correct, don't get me wrong I am not trying to get a completely concise team sheet with this. I read allot of the Sport 24 articles and there is allot of buzz around depth and a difficult squad selection this year and I just wanted to see what people thought might be the best way to go for the up-coming series. Thank you for you're input though :D

The Boks have a problem at tight and loosehead. Beast is ok but Jannie is **** and has always been, Coenie is not good enough at international level.

victor matfield has to go he's just too old to compete with the ABs, I've always been of the view that you need to pick a team capable of beating the ABs

He bumped it against his shower door.. just WTF. Hopefully that means he is rested and frustrated for the Rugby Champioship.

Just to not play for the cheetahs and get injured before the RC...

That does bring up or at least hints too an intersting question; who is the Bok MVP?

A few things to consider there; who is our best players, do we have depth in the position and captaincy also plays a role. Everything considered..

I'd say FdP remains our most critical player purely based on the fact that the quality drops off sharply behind him. While Le Roux has able enough back-up in Pat Lambie and I consider 9 more critical for us than 15. In the forwards we have so much depth in quality I believe our backs are the ones we might miss the most if they are unavaiable.

That does bring up or at least hints too an intersting question; who is the Bok MVP?

A few things to consider there; who is our best players, do we have depth in the position and captaincy also plays a role. Everything considered..

I'd say FdP remains our most critical player purely based on the fact that the quality drops off sharply behind him. While Le Roux has able enough back-up in Pat Lambie and I consider 9 more critical for us than 15. In the forwards we have so much depth in quality I believe our backs are the ones we might miss the most if they are unavaiable.

true. but then again that has always been the case, and we are also more forward-driven in our playing style. Where the Scrumhalf is much more important than the fullback.

With that said, I see Aplon is fit again, and might even play this weekend for the Stormers against the Bulls.

I'm happy Aplon will be available for us but I don't consider him for the bokke; too old now and moving to France.

I Could we have this thread moved to the RC section, ADMINS?

In other news seems like FdP is out of the RC (3 months);
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9367601,00.html

We should see this as a blessing in that we will be forced to develop our options now (unless HM plans to persist with Pienaar and/or Hougaard).