• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2020 RC/Tri Nations Round 6: Australia vs Argentina (Saturday 5 December)

Interesting game this one even though realistically the Tri-Nations is gone for both teams. I think there's far more pressure on the Wallabies though. Rennie will be judged harshly if he fails to beat Argentina for a second straight time on home soil. Who knows how the Pumas will play after the controversy of this week. I can't decide whether they will be demoralised by it all or whether they'll come out firing. Australia should take this with something to spare but the Wallabies and pressure isn't a good mix. Australia to win but to make heavy weather of it.

I feel like this is Aussies to lose, playing at home, argies with a rough week

hope im wrong, would like to see the argies come out firing for a good game

puma's will be pretty p!ssed off

I feel like this is Aussies to lose, playing at home, argies with a rough week

hope im wrong, would like to see the argies come out firing for a good game
There was a big discussion on this forum last year about how Argentinians consider the term "Argie" a derogatory term.

The challenge for the pumas next Saturday is huge.
They're going to have to prove they can realize a better tribute to Maradona than the Aussies.

Apologies, I don't remember ever hearing that
I haven't even heard this term before :D couldn't understand who do you call "Argies" before I started to read this thread )) so, Russians will be Russies?)

What I found about it:

The name "Argies" is the pejorative apocope for "argentine", expression extensively used by the British soldiers during the war in Falkland in 1982.

Last edited:

@Cruz_del_Sur @Felipe why out of curiosity? is it not simply an abbreviation like Aussies?
AFAIK it's from the Falklands War - or that era.
It might just be a shortening of Argentina but - like with the first four letters of Pakistan - it was the intent behind it.

I haven't even heard this term before :D couldn't understand who do you call "Argies" before I started to read this thread )) so, Russians will be Russies?)
not arguing with if its offensive in some way, if it is it is and i'll do my best to stop

I think its just commons to shorten things to a couple of syllables
Auss-ies
Ki-wis
Eng-lish

and so Arg-en-tin-ian ...becomes Arg-ies

I don't actually think i've talked enough about Russians to think about it, probably short enough already

AFAIK it's from the Falklands War - or that era.
It might just be a shortening of Argentina but - like with the first four letters of Pakistan - it was the intent behind it.
wow, ok, learn something new every day, cheers

Not good enough. It is simply unacceptable that in 2020 i have to put up with this sort of verbal abuse. Inexcusable.
I expect Oly to take this criminal behaviour of yours seriously and even amend the tos to allow the enforcement of even harsher punishments, retroactively if possible. Legal actions and all.
As per the latest standards, I want your employer to remove your captaincy and suspend your paychecks till further investigation. Apologies will be futile.
You wanted harsher punishment for this sort of behaviour? We'll give you just that.
All your base are belong to us.

unrated and i will lead the vengeance inquiry. Sorry, the investigation inquiry.

Jk. No apologies needed. I judge those sort of comments based on the intent I perceive from the one using the term. You clearly had no intention to insult. All good.
To be fair, it'd say it's 50/50 nowadays. Some might take it as paki and feel offended, but just as many could take it as aussie and be ok with it.

there is actually a user from arg who goes under the handle "justanargie".

Not good enough. It is simply unacceptable that in 2020 i have to put up with this sort of verbal abuse. Inexcusable.
I expect Oly to take this criminal behaviour of yours seriously and even amend the tos to allow the enforcement of even harsher punishments, retroactively if possible. Legal actions and all.
As per the latest standards, I want your employer to remove your captaincy and suspend your paychecks till further investigation. Apologies will be futile.
You wanted harsher punishment for this sort of behaviour? We'll give you just that.
All your base are belong to us.

unrated and i will lead the vengeance inquiry. Sorry, the investigation inquiry.

Jk. No apologies needed. I judge those sort of comments based on the intent I perceive from the one using the term. You clearly had no intention to insult. All good.
To be fair, it'd say it's 50/50 nowadays. Some might take it as paki and feel offended, but just as many could take it as aussie and be ok with it.

there is actually a user from arg who goes under the handle "justanargie".
thanks for being understanding

I recognise my hypocrisy, there is no excuse for not having leant that some would be offended, I will stick to "Pumas" when talking about the team, asking me to stop being lazy by not using the shortest words possible is too far

Last edited:

What I found about it:
I remember when the nickname for Russians was Russkies here in America. There was even a comedy movie with that ***le made before the break up of the Soviet Union. Times change and so does terminology. Were all friends now...sort of. ;)

Last edited:
I'm guessing Argentina is the underdog in this game, so they have my support once again. Go Pumas!

Celebrate Argentina Rugby GIF by Rugby World Cup

That'a a bloody harsh yellow, JOC is crouching, his knee was pretty much on the ground, too the letter of the law maybe but jeez

Latest posts