• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boks RWC 2019 Squad

If Handre gets injured, I would send Jantjies home, keep Handre there as mascot and play Frans Steyn at 10.
LOL. TBH I'd be just as nervous. I can't help remembering how many times Frans's kicks were charged down the few times he did play at 10. That said, I'd be just as nervous with Jantjies there remembering a few games where the pressure apparently got to him.
It'd be a gamble either way, I say make it interesting and put one of Le Roux or Faf at 10! Throw the dice.

Rassie has a unique style, trust and rational thinking is his strong points.
The group is perfect as it is, the players has been with him the last 10 weeks, they trust him and he them.
Interesting, after the Bok squad announcement and no bolters the bookies moved the Bokke into second favorites for the tournament

Given Willemse not injured for so long and be able to be compared to Gelant, yes he would probably have made the cut.
Now he gets a stint in the UK and will gain valuable experience, stay/become match fit and be a good replacement if needed.

I do not see Kwagga making the starting team so let him play the smaller nations and be ready should there be injuries

Happy with what we have at present

Rassie has a unique style, trust and rational thinking is his strong points.
The group is perfect as it is, the players has been with h/im the last 10 weeks, they trust him and he them.
Interesting, after the Bok squad announcement and no bolters the bookies moved the Bokke into second favorites for the tournament

Given Willemse not injured for so long and be able to be compared to Gelant, yes he would probably have made the cut.
Now he gets a stint in the UK and will gain valuable experience, stay/become match fit and be a good replacement if needed.

I do not see Kwagga making the starting team so let him play the smaller nations and be ready should there be injuries

Happy with what we have at present

Yup.

We also appointed a new attacking coach in Felix Jones today who worked with Rassie while he was at Munster.

We will also be departing for Japan on Friday. Being the first team to arrive in Japan to prepare for the World Cup as we will be playing Japan next week in a warmu-up game.

So should we make it to the finals, we'll be in Japan for 9/10 weeks. and should be most adept to the conditions apart from Japan.

Bosch should be in the squad but not for Jantjies, he should be there for Frans Steyn, I know that's slightly controversial but let me lay out my case:

Firstly on Bosch - I've been critical of him in the past but he really has upped his game to a large extent this year, he's added an exciting running and distribution game to his already large boot. He's quick and agile and I believe would offer a lot more off the bench than a slow and overweight Steyn. Yes he didn't shower himself in glory when he played for the Bokke last but that was in 2017 - a bad year for us in general for all of our backs and it was also 2 years ago. He's grown a lot as a player especially this year.
For me he's the perfect young talent to bring as a utility back - he could do the job that Frans Steyn himself did at the 2007 WC.

On Steyn - although he's shown a few good touches since he's been back he's also looked slow both with ball in and and on defense, I understand we want a world cup winner in the squad but how much loyalty and prestige does Steyn really bring to the squad? He's been in and out of the team for 12 years many times for reasons that could only be described as "drama". We have experience in the team already - players aware of overseas conditions and teams as well as players like Vermulen and Beast who are old stalwarts.

I know as South Africans we are obsessed with the idea of including a world cup winner in our team because of Os and Percy, but in almost all other world cup instances this hasn't been necessary, I'm just not comfortable with Frans Steyn as an impact player or even worse a backup 10.

That rant aside the squad is pretty much as good as it can be, no real surprises other than a few people a little unlucky not to be included (and unfortunately you have to draw the line somewhere).

I'm particularly pleased with our depth in our tight 5 positions. A lot of the guys who were consistently bench players are now interchangeable with the starters. Best example of this is Mbonambi, who has closed the gap on Marx. Either could start and we wouldn't lose anything. I probably favour Mbonambi at the moment as I think he executes the basics better.

Another is Nyakane. He seems to have solved the tight head issue and should be ahead of Malherbe now. I actually rate Malherbe (I can just hear the gasps haha) who I think just struggles with consistency and is mostly solid, which to be honest is all you can (or should) expect of a tight head.

LOL. TBH I'd be just as nervous. I can't help remembering how many times Frans's kicks were charged down the few times he did play at 10. That said, I'd be just as nervous with Jantjies there remembering a few games where the pressure apparently got to him.
It'd be a gamble either way, I say make it interesting and put one of Le Roux or Faf at 10! Throw the dice.
I remember Naas squashing the Frans at 10 discussion when he first came on the scene and he was proven right. He said Frans is too tall and would be constantly charged down.

As much as Jantjies makes me nervous like everyone else, his performance against Australia this year was the best I've seen him play in a Bok jersey. Gotta give him that.

Bosch should be in the squad but not for Jantjies, he should be there for Frans Steyn, I know that's slightly controversial but let me lay out my case:

Firstly on Bosch - I've been critical of him in the past but he really has upped his game to a large extent this year, he's added an exciting running and distribution game to his already large boot. He's quick and agile and I believe would offer a lot more off the bench than a slow and overweight Steyn. Yes he didn't shower himself in glory when he played for the Bokke last but that was in 2017 - a bad year for us in general for all of our backs and it was also 2 years ago. He's grown a lot as a player especially this year.
For me he's the perfect young talent to bring as a utility back - he could do the job that Frans Steyn himself did at the 2007 WC.

Nobody is disputing his talent. His mental toughness is what's bringing him down, and the chances he's had for the Boks, have left much to be desired. And I think Rassie made the right call not to select him, as we've seen in the past how guys' careers flop when they're not able to perform at that level.

On Steyn - although he's shown a few good touches since he's been back he's also looked slow both with ball in and and on defense, I understand we want a world cup winner in the squad but how much loyalty and prestige does Steyn really bring to the squad? He's been in and out of the team for 12 years many times for reasons that could only be described as "drama". We have experience in the team already - players aware of overseas conditions and teams as well as players like Vermulen and Beast who are old stalwarts.

I know as South Africans we are obsessed with the idea of including a world cup winner in our team because of Os and Percy, but in almost all other world cup instances this hasn't been necessary, I'm just not comfortable with Frans Steyn as an impact player or even worse a backup 10.

That rant aside the squad is pretty much as good as it can be, no real surprises other than a few people a little unlucky not to be included (and unfortunately you have to draw the line somewhere).

See, I don't see what you're seeing. Firstly on centre, Frans has been invaluable for us when he came on this season. His ability to target players in weak defensive positions, have proven to create tries for us, and his quick hands caused one such try against Argentina.

As for fly half, the fear of him being charged down can be negated by Faf taking box kicks, and Willie maybe switching up with him for tactical kicks. But there are few guys I'd back other than Frans to take on the line, drop kick at goal, or slot a vital penalty from a distance.

I'm particularly pleased with our depth in our tight 5 positions. A lot of the guys who were consistently bench players are now interchangeable with the starters. Best example of this is Mbonambi, who has closed the gap on Marx. Either could start and we wouldn't lose anything. I probably favour Mbonambi at the moment as I think he executes the basics better.

Another is Nyakane. He seems to have solved the tight head issue and should be ahead of Malherbe now. I actually rate Malherbe (I can just hear the gasps haha) who I think just struggles with consistency and is mostly solid, which to be honest is all you can (or should) expect of a tight head.

For sure. Mbonambi IMHO is in better form than Marx, and has been consistently better than Marx this year. Nyakane is also for me the best tighthead for the Boks, and his skills at the rucks are also something we shouldn't forget.

I remember Naas squashing the Frans at 10 discussion when he first came on the scene and he was proven right. He said Frans is too tall and would be constantly charged down.

As much as Jantjies makes me nervous like everyone else, his performance against Australia this year was the best I've seen him play in a Bok jersey. Gotta give him that.

I think we should stop talking about worst case scenario. Please let the doom prophets sleep a bit longer

Marx should not be on the field if we don't have another player that can do the line out throws.....he certainly can't. I would not even bench him. We have brilliant line out forwards, and it's just sad to see a hooker so unsure of himself with EVERY throw in......if your line out players have to run around every time to try and fool the opposition jumpers into thinking that you're not throwing to your front jumper, it does not look good.......

Boks fans talk about Pollard as if he's a prime Naas Botha :):)
Alot of blowing smoke re. Pollard

Elton Jantjes is still a very good player & has areas where he is vastly superior to Pollard
namely Passing & organising a backline in attack

likewise with F Steyn, he's the utility back & at best is #23 for Boks vs Tier 1 teams

Playing slow stodgy Top 14 rugby has made him not as sharp or fit as beforehand

But who to replace Jantjies with? Rob du Preez? Bosch and Willemse are probably too green to frontline at this stage. Even if not Willemse is out and Bosch has a similar reputation to Jantjies ITO failing under pressure. Lambie doesn't play any more. Steyn or Goosen? I don't know what sort of form these players are in or if they are even available. I think there is something to be said for giving local players the benefit of the doubt where there is doubt. I don't see a 2nd choice flyhalf option for us that doesn't come with an asterisk of some sort next to his name.

Morne Steyn. But then again. He won't fit the politically correct bill.

So, what difference will Felix Jones make to the squad travelling to Godzilla-land? Don't really know much about the guy...

So, what difference will Felix Jones make to the squad travelling to Godzilla-land? Don't really know much about the guy...

Well, he was with Rassie at Munster, and I think he'll just be able to top up what they are already doing. Maybe help the team with a few technical tweaks here and there.

He's also helped the Irish team in the past, and their attack have improved significantly in the past few years.

Well, he was with Rassie at Munster, and I think he'll just be able to top up what they are already doing. Maybe help the team with a few technical tweaks here and there.

He's also helped the Irish team in the past, and their attack have improved significantly in the past few years.

So, basically what you're saying is that he's going to ensure the Springboks win the RWC 2019? ;)

Fair enough if Steyn is there as back up to 10/15 but I don't think that's the case. I believe he is primarily there as back up at 12. Jantjies and Gelant are there for 10 and 15 respectively. Steyn would only in a very worst case scenario cover those positions in my mind (at least I hope so).

Bosch and Willemse (22 and 21 yo) will be part of the Bok setup sooner rather than later I believe as Le Roux and Jantjies (30 and 29 yo) phase out. This is Frans Steyn's last hoorah probably. With Serfontein injured and considering the experience and versatility Steyn brings as a utility back primarily there to cover the centers I think his inclusion is warranted. The other option is Esterhuizen but he bring neither the 'been there done that' nor versatility and I'd argue doesn't have much if anything on Steyn as specifically back up to 12.

I agree and disagree with many of you regarding Bosch.

Firstly to say that he has had a few bad games in the green and gold and to use this as ammunition to justify why he is not springbok material yet is flawed. Why do I say this? Primarily because Mr. Kwagga played in that exact game Bosch played in against Wales and looked just as **** against Wales as Bosch did as did the rest of the players including Gelant.

Kwagga got a few more chances after that while Bosch did not. Kwagga was not great in the chances he got after that either so by the same logic as had Been used against Bosch then Kwagga does not deserve it either.

So that's my opinion regarding the debate about his previous performances in national colours, yes he has not performed well but there are other players who has not performed well and get more chances and still performed bad. But we know Kwagga can be class and the same with Bosch that's why they are in the discussion.

Does my above argument mean I call for the inclusion of Bosch in the World Cup squad ? Absolutely not. Future bok involvement yes but not this World Cup yet. Simple as that, he first needed to be part of the team for longer before going to a World Cup with us.

I think Marcel Coetzee would have made the squad over Kwagga where he fit.

Just as a matter of fact thought Bosch got a tough game to play against a very good wales team. Jantjies was made to look good against Australia by having a forward pack absolutely dominate Australia. Had Bosch played in that Australia game and I think he would have ripped them open.
Let's not forget how Jantjies was in the Super rugby finals. He could not cope with the pressure. Now put him in for an injured Pollard in a World Cup final against NZ and tell me it's going to be different. That's why i want you all to really appreciate that we have Francois Steyn there. Someone with nerves of steel to make that match winning penalty maybe World Cup winning penalty if it is needed. I personally feel very at ease with our squad at this World Cup and a part of that is knowing that F Steyn is there just incase.

Unrated, I think Bosch will take over from Handre as first choice 10 for the boks after the world cup. Will be first choice for years. And I agree he should be our backup.

PS: OK, you don't think he should be backup lol.....I still think he should be there. As Backup 10 and 15.

Unrated, I think Bosch will take over from Handre as first choice 10 for the boks after the world cup. Will be first choice for years. And I agree he should be our backup.

PS: OK, you don't think he should be backup lol.....I still think he should be there. As Backup 10 and 15.

I think our fly half stock will improve a lot the coming years.

Curwin should now settle into that 10 spot at the Sharks now that one of the player's dads are no longer helping out there and giving his son special treatment.

Libbok at the Bulls has had glimpses of what he's capable of, but remains solidly in the shadow of Pollard. Hopefully Morne Steyn can help him to improve his game even more.

Willemse at the Stormers should also slot in at FH, he needs his hands on the ball.

Then we have that youngster from the U/20's that impressed me a lot, I think his name is Mollentze.

And of course, Pollard will still be available, he'll just be in France.

I want to see Willemse play as 10, not 15 going forward
Someone that impressed me for the Lions before getting injured was Gianni Lombaard, 21 year old

Latest posts