• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Botha Suspended

A

An Tarbh

South African spin bowler Johan Botha has been suspended after it was concluded that his bowling action is illegal.

Originally posted by BBC Sport
Spinner Botha banned from bowling
South Africa off-spinner Johan Botha has been suspended from bowling after his action was deemed to be illegal.
The 23-year-old was reported during the third Test in Australia last month and his off-break and 'doosra' deliveries were analysed by expert Bruce Elliott.

Professor Elliott ruled he extended his elbow beyond the 15% allowed under International Cricket COuncil rules.

Botha, who has played in one Test and 10 one-dayers, cannot bowl for his country until further tests clear him.

If he returns and is found guilty of having an illegal action within 24 months he will be automatically banned for a year.

ICC general manager Dave Richardson said: "The independent report has identified excessive levels of straightening.

"It is now up to Johan to remedy the concerns that have been identified.

"Johan is a young player and there is nothing to stop him making a successful return to international cricket with a remodelled action."

We hope to have him in action as soon as possible
Cricket South Africa chief executive Gerald Majola 

Botha started out as a medium-pacer in domestic cricket, but was persuaded by Proteas coach Mickey Arthur to take up slow bowling.

He proved expensive at international level but, amid a dearth of quality spin bowlers, is seen as the long-term successor to Nicky Boje.

Cricket South Africa chief executive Gerald Majola said he accepted the findings and is confident Botha will soon be bowling again for the Proteas.

"We will do all in our power now to assist him to correct his action so that he can continue his promising career," he said.

"We will ask the Sports Medical and Science Institute in Cape Town to analyse the ICC's findings and assist Johan to remedy his action.

"He will then be tested again, and we hope to have him in action as soon as possible."

Will most likely see Jaques Rudolph and Greame Smith taking on most of the spin ning duties in the forthcoming series with the Aussies while Botha works on sorting out his action.

Not suprised his action was worse than murali's! Worst thing is he aint even a good bowler!

Me and my dad didn't think his action was that bad. We knew that he was bending his arm, but we didn't think it was more than 15 degrees. I agree he isn't a very good bolwer, but it's the best that SA have to offer at the moment.

I think Smith is a decent bowler and Rudolph is very underrated, I think he's good.

Coco

Richie Benaud certainly thinks highly of Rudolph, whether he'll be developed more is another question, certainly have the chance now though.

Ah you see - great minds think alike :bana: :bana: :bana:

Yeh, from what I've seen of Rudolph bowling, I've been pretty impressed, as he is only a part timer. I think he has potential to develop into a decent spinner.

Coco

well Rudolph even as a part timer is better then anything England have at the moment. I notice that theyve called up Blackwell for the India tour, may as well not play a spinner and get Vaughn and Pietersen to work on their off spin

Rediculious, sure maybe he's bowling action is a bit, well... corny, but he won't make it back to international cricket. Surely they should just get on with it and try and work out why he has a prob and fix him, but not ban indefinately. Those that are ruining the face of the game - people involved in bookmaking, etc - should get the indefinate ban.

He'll be back in a year..

.. and then he will start complaining when Aussie crowds call "NO BALL" after every ball he bowls

ala Muttiah 'chucker' Muralitharan

Murali is a great bowler, so nobody take anything away from him! :ranting:

Sure, his action looks a bit odd, but he has a slightly disfigured arm and is double jointed, so it's always going to look like hes chucking it but he isn't.

He's been cleared numerous times. He is a great bowler for Sri Lanka.

Coco

He can't have his arm straight because it is slightly deformed. I'm sure he would still be pretty good if it was straight, but not quite as penetrating.

Coco

On Murali, your allowed to have a bent arm ffs! Who care if he would suck with a different action. He doesn't bend it more than 15 degrees (ie he doesn't straighten) during delivery so his action is perfectly legal.

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 9 2006, 10:10 PM
.. and then he will start complaining when Aussie crowds call "NO BALL" after every ball he bowls

that is the greatest chant of all cricket time

i wish murali would see the funny side to it

its just 30,000 drunks having fun

Both is fine IMO

i think muralis doosra is worse

anyway this malinga is the new spin freak

i like him

his action is sweet as, and can turn it well, and has a good wrong-in.

watch malinga cause some headaches........although they wont get much spin out of adelaide today

unless Sangars and Jaya fire.............they will be in trouble

although we all know on their day the lankans are the best ODI team in the world...that top order can cause havoc, in the 1st 25overs...they gotto win the toos and bat, otherwise it will be tuff

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Feb 9 2006, 09:10 PM
He'll be back in a year..

ala Muttiah 'chucker' Muralitharan
Except murali was never banned, it will be very hard for botha to break back into the SA side.

well if there's not exactly a raging supply of spinning talent in SA then why wouldn't it be?