• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Yeah pretty good fight. Thought AJ was in trouble after getting his nose bloodied at the end of the first, which staggered him. But he regathered his composure and started jabbing at Povetkin's body in the next 6 rounds, which slowed the Russian down until AJ got an opening to the head. I thought The end was quite clinical finish from AJ against a fighter who had never previously been stopped.

Wilder v Fury next on 1 December should be a good one or a grappling contest ala Fury v Klitschko. Probably the latter.

Yeah, overcoming the broken(?) nose was a good showing from AJ. Looked to be "struggling" (it was bothering him, basically) for the next round or so but after that just turned it up and poured it on.

I don't see Wilder beating Fury or AJ. They'll just stick behind their jabs and frustrate him - they're both far better technical boxers.
He's being talked up a lot cause he's making all the noise in the press, but he'll fall like the rest.

Either way, I think either fight would be huge... Fury vs Aj would be enormous in the UK.

Aj vs a Wilder who's beaten Fury would be pretty massive globally (certainly by current HW boxing standards...)

Aye, fair points.

Would be interesting to see where they'd hold an AJ vs Fury fight.
Is there anywhere they could go bigger than Wembley?
I imagine they'd just bump up the ticket price a ton so actual attendance wouldn't matter - MilStad? Hearn and AJ were both waxing lyrical about the place.

Or would they try and do something more historic - maybe Old Trafford?

wilder is a good boxer.

In terms of attacking AJ Wilder would make him the most worried IMO could easily see Wilder knocking out AJ.
Fury I could see beating AJ on points but not a KO.

But AJ looks good.

wilder is a good boxer.

In terms of attacking AJ Wilder would make him the most worried IMO could easily see Wilder knocking out AJ.
Fury I could see beating AJ on points but not a KO.

Aye... fucker swings like a drunk lad.

Still not convinced the Wilder Fury fight will happen. Think this was a bit of a publicity stunt that went a bit too far. No way is Fury ready for Wilder yet and he knows it. Can see an injury coming Tyson's way...and I can see the same thing happening to Hughie before his fight with Pulev.

Still not convinced the Wilder Fury fight will happen. Think this was a bit of a publicity stunt that went a bit too far. No way is Fury ready for Wilder yet and he knows it. Can see an injury coming Tyson's way...and I can see the same thing happening to Hughie before his fight with Pulev.

I concur. Tyson Fury legitimately dethroned a great in Wladimir Klitschko. Fury is a highly skilled fighter and at his peak would have bothered anyone. I remain unconvinced that regardless of how many uncastrated boars he eats he'll be in any type of shape to fight the current top level heavyweights. Whereas he used to be able to frustrate and slip he'll be a big doughy punching bag and there's a fair chance he'll get seriously hurt. At this moment gobbing off is easy. His fights to date have been a circus. If he fights and beats Wilder he's legitimately a contender. If he loses (avoiding serious injury) he'll claim Wilder was lucky / the fight was too early and linger around like a bad smell. However, Fury holds danger for AJ. Wlad had a cracking right hand. He couldn't put one on the gypsy king.

Mayweather coming out of retirement to fight a 20yr old Japanese kickboxer has never boxed before....

Nasukawa is a ridiculously talented kickboxer but this is just ridiculous. It's not even like he's a punching centric kickboxer, he's known for his flashy kicks cause of his full contact karate background

Would love to see him just come straight out the gates with one of these
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AfraidHarmfulGermanshepherd-mobile.mp4

Last edited:
Mayweather will be coming out of retirement until he's 60 at this rate.

And so Bellew's career comes to an end. Ended it on his back, but still respect to him and also Usyk.

Anyone fancy Fury to do what he did against Klitschko and frustrate Wilder with a points win? I don't see him getting a KO and think he's going to have to win at least eight rounds to get a decision. Not easy to get a decision from the judges in the US against the local defending champion.

Anyone fancy Fury to do what he did against Klitschko and frustrate Wilder with a points win? I don't see him getting a KO and think he's going to have to win at least eight rounds to get a decision. Not easy to get a decision from the judges in the US against the local defending champion.

He'll do well to fight southpaw like he did v Wlad and keep him at reach and then clinch and frustrate Wilder. So Wilder's right has to go further to connect with Tyson's chin.

The longer it goes on the odds will swing in Fury's favour. The only thing we don't know of course is if Wilder catches him with one big shot and also the effects of Fury being out of the ring for so long. I know he's had 2 "warm" up fights but they were against 2 nobodies.

I don't claim to be a big boxing nut but from what I've seen of the two if Fury is anywhere near his old levels I'd back him to win.
He's in great shape, physically and mentally, atm so I think he does it.

I listened to him on the Joe Rogan podcast the other week and it was a fantastic fantastic interview, really recommend it to anyone

He'll do well to fight southpaw like he did v Wlad and keep him at reach and then clinch and frustrate Wilder. So Wilder's right has to go further to connect with Tyson's chin.

The longer it goes on the odds will swing in Fury's favour. The only thing we don't know of course is if Wilder catches him with one big shot and also the effects of Fury being out of the ring for so long. I know he's had 2 "warm" up fights but they were against 2 nobodies.

Fury is a versatile boxer and can switch form conventional to southpaw when needed in the middle of fights. Wilder is a KO artist and I agree can end the fight with anyone if he connects with a big shot.

Hello to the previous poster. A fellow fan. I am no Boxing expert. But i think it is too close to call. If i had to say who, I will go for Fury, Just. My fave boxer is Amir Khan. He is from my Birthplace, Bolton.

Honestly no. The fight is a massive risk for Fury who is very ring rusty. I think the reason he took the fight is to get a decent pay day before retiring. Wilder may lack a boxers skill and is often behind on points when he lands the knockout punch but he always seems to find that punch. Also Wilders weight is consistent which means his body is far better prepared to go a difficult twelve rounds, Fury's weight has had to come down a long way in a very unhealthy amount of time. Yes he is looking good but his diet was too quick for a normal person never mind a boxer who is hoping his body will last in a world ***le fight. Frank Warren is on the verge of bankruptcy and really needs this fight so he has pushed Fury to take it.

I hope he proves me wrong but I can see Fury being one of those tragic figures who never for-filled their physical potential because mentally he was never up it.

Honestly no. The fight is a massive risk for Fury who is very ring rusty. I think the reason he took the fight is to get a decent pay day before retiring. Wilder may lack a boxers skill and is often behind on points when he lands the knockout punch but he always seems to find that punch. Also Wilders weight is consistent which means his body is far better prepared to go a difficult twelve rounds, Fury's weight has had to come down a long way in a very unhealthy amount of time. Yes he is looking good but his diet was too quick for a normal person never mind a boxer who is hoping his body will last in a world ***le fight. Frank Warren is on the verge of bankruptcy and really needs this fight so he has pushed Fury to take it.

I hope he proves me wrong but I can see Fury being one of those tragic figures who never for-filled their physical potential because mentally he was never up it.

I didn't appreciate the impact of rapid weight loss for a boxer but experts say that they often hit a wall mid way through the fight and run out of gas, despite going through a rigorous training camp. This apparently happened to Tony Bellew who was spent in the eighth round against Usyk, had to go for the KO and got caught in the process. Fury could have been done with two more warm up fights against decent opposition like Ortiz or Pulev but if he gets a respectable loss then I'm sure he'll be able to get one or two more pay days. He might have to consider changing promoter if what you say about Warren is true as Eddie Hearn has a number of good heavyweights on his books but Warren won't deal with him.