• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

I didn't appreciate the impact of rapid weight loss for a boxer but experts say that they often hit a wall mid way through the fight and run out of gas, despite going through a rigorous training camp. This apparently happened to Tony Bellew who was spent in the eighth round against Usyk, had to go for the KO and got caught in the process. Fury could have been done with two more warm up fights against decent opposition like Ortiz or Pulev but if he gets a respectable loss then I'm sure he'll be able to get one or two more pay days. He might have to consider changing promoter if what you say about Warren is true as Eddie Hearn has a number of good heavyweights on his books but Warren won't deal with him.

Yeah its never good for a fighter to yo yo diet. Ricky Hatten was a prime example of a fighter you would binge between training camps and it took its tole in the end. Regards Bellew he just got beaten by a much superior fighter, who will become a very very good heavy weight.

Yeah its never good for a fighter to yo yo diet. Ricky Hatten was a prime example of a fighter you would binge between training camps and it took its tole in the end. Regards Bellew he just got beaten by a much superior fighter, who will become a very very good heavy weight.

Yeah Usyk is a class act for sure. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on against the heavyweights.

Yeah Usyk is a class act for sure. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on against the heavyweights.

Well he is bigger than Holyfield so I don't see him having too many problems up to the top 5 rankings. Would be interesting to see him and Dillian Whyte go for it.

Well he is bigger than Holyfield so I don't see him having too many problems up to the top 5 rankings. Would be interesting to see him and Dillian Whyte go for it.

Whyte v Chisora should be a good one. It'll be another all out slug fest without too much actual boxing. There are a few possible opponents for Usyk. Joseph Parker is about the same size but I would fancy Usyk to prevail. Would like to see Povetkin v Usyk - Russia v Ukraine (winner gets Crimea :) although maybe not such an appeal to UK fight fans. Having said that, I think Usyk's camp want to establish him more in the UK given that he's now signed with Hearn. They also know that this is the best path to AJ.

Didn't Fury say he's donating his purse to charity?
I'm not sure it's a cash grab, he doesn't seem that obsessed with cash like a lot of prize fighters.
He's made a lot of cash during his career and spends half his time living in a caravan by choice

Didn't Fury say he's donating his purse to charity?
I'm not sure it's a cash grab, he doesn't seem that obsessed with cash like a lot of prize fighters.
He's made a lot of cash during his career and spends half his time living in a caravan by choice

Possibly Olyy it might be an ego trip as opposed to a cash grab but I am certain Frank Warren needs the cash very desperately.

Possibly Olyy it might be an ego trip as opposed to a cash grab but I am certain Frank Warren needs the cash very desperately.
The way he spoke on JRE it definitely seems like an ego thing,
Wilder called him out a few years ago and apparently he's been stewing ever since and Wilder was his target for a comeback, not Joshua.

Promoters are always hungry for cash so you're probably right on that one

There's a lot of talk about Warren being close to bankruptcy. It didn't help that Billy Joe Saunders failed a drugs test and was stripped of his ***le and Eddie Hearn putting Whyte v Chisora on the same night as Frampton v Warrington which will hit Warren's numbers. Fury v Wilder is £20 on BT Sports but I don't see it getting too many buys in the UK seeing as it's in LA and on very late.

There's a lot of talk about Warren being close to bankruptcy. It didn't help that Billy Joe Saunders failed a drugs test and was stripped of his ***le and Eddie Hearn putting Whyte v Chisora on the same night as Frampton v Warrington which will hit Warren's numbers. Fury v Wilder is £20 on BT Sports but I don't see it getting too many buys in the UK seeing as it's in LA and on very late.

Yeah that's a good assessment, Warren is old school and up until recently treated his fighters that way. Eddie might be a character but he does look after his fighters which is why so many are signing with him. Putting Whyte V Chisora on that night was very calculated and I think he is really pushing to get Warren out the picture which I don't think is a bad thing.

Not a surprising outcome to Wilder v Fury. After the Canelo v GGG fights one does have to question the judging process. Seems like some fighters have a head start and will only lose if they get knocked out. Most experts saying Fury won the fight but maybe there's a new secret rule that a knockdown gets five bonus points.

Will be interesting to see if Wilder gives him a re-match or if he takes the AJ fight in April. He ducked out of a re-match with the much avoided Ortiz after realising how dangerous he was.

Seems pretty universal, even from American fans, that the judging was some serious home cooking and Fury was robbed

Haven't seen it myself yet but some saying that Fury won every round except the two he got knocked down. He was apparently motionless after the second knock down in the 12th but rose up like the Undertaker at the count of 9 and saw out the last two minutes.

And who said it was a cash grab ego trip fight?

Fair play to Fury come back from a lot of **** to put on a show like that.

The fight's on YouTube before they take it down. But yeah apart from the two knockdowns - 12th was brutal looked to me Fury outboxed Wilder. How Tyson got up from the 12th knock down I have no idea. Rematch has got to be on the cards. Hopefully, Wembley but most likely Vegas.

I thought Tyson Fury was going to get knocked out before the fight but after watching the whole thing, I honestly think Tyson Fury won the fight. Wilder just got 2 knock downs, that was it. You take those knock downs away and Wilder loses.

Very disappointed in Wilder, especially in the last round where I thought that he should've finished Fury. I was jumping up and down when Fury was out on the canvas but then he got back up and carried on.

So will we get to see a AJ v Wilder/Fury fight anytime soon?

Or will Hearn just keep milking his prize cow till they turn 38/40 and then go for the fight?

So will we get to see a AJ v Wilder/Fury fight anytime soon?

Or will Hearn just keep milking his prize cow till they turn 38/40 and then go for the fight?

People accuse Wilder of ducking AJ and vice versa but I suspect that both would prefer to continue milking their cash cows for a bit longer as they both recognise that the other one is dangerous and could end it all with one KO punch. Delaying also builds hype and makes the fight bigger but there will come a point in time when fans are bored with them beating bums and mediocre opponents. Wilder made £10m from last night apparently and AJ can sell out big stadiums against less risky opponents like Parker and Povetkin. They may just continue doing the same while accusing the other one of ducking or not being realistic with negotiations.

Fair play to Fury too. He really hides from noone. Is a very fair respectful fighter but at same time very entertaining in and out of the ring. He realy showed he is a real deal by going to LA and well performing as he did.

Fair play to both of them. I think Wilder saw it as a great opportunity to get the scalp of a big undefeated name and probably thought Fury would be too rusty and run out of steam. I'm not convinced he'll agree to a re-match as he knows Fury will be better prepared next time.

Latest posts