• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

AJ's already booked in to fight on 13 April at Wembley stadium so it probably won't be that fight as it's too soon. If there is a Wilder v Fury rematch then will maybe it will be April or May. Then logically the winner would face AJ in November next year. But as with all these promoters like Hearn it's all about protecting their asset and not devaluing them if they were to lose.

Clearly these are the top 3 heavyweights in the world and the longer they string it out between the 3 the more the clamour they'll be for them to fight each other; especially either v AJ.

AJ's already booked in to fight on 13 April at Wembley stadium so it probably won't be that fight as it's too soon. If there is a Wilder v Fury rematch then will maybe it will be April or May. Then logically the winner would face AJ in November next year. But as with all these promoters like Hearn it's all about protecting their asset and not devaluing them if they were to lose.

Clearly these are the top 3 heavyweights in the world and the longer they string it out between the 3 the more the clamour they'll be for them to fight each other; especially either v AJ.

I think April 13 could be possible for AJ v Wilder or Fury but it would need to be agreed in the next 2-3 weeks to allow enough time for recovery and then a training camp. Two of the three have to fight each other in April or May otherwise something is badly wrong. I would add Luis Ortiz into the mix who almost beat Wilder. He is in the top 4 and is one of the most avoided heavyweights out there.

Dodgy scoring i think. Probably say there should be a rematch. After a Boxing match i always think the build up was the more exciting bit. Guess that says i am not a major fan.

Not watched all the fight yet but you have to give credit to Tyson Fury. I was wrong about him and I don't mind admitting it.

With fair judges I could easily see him beating either Wilder in a re-match or AJ if it went the distance. Can't bang as hard but has insane hand and head speed considering his size, a good boxing brain and a very solid chin. To maintain that level of performance for 12 rounds considering where he was is remarkable.

Last edited:
If he can get up from a shot from Wilder he can take AJs hits.
AJ is a better boxer than Wilder, mind, but Fury still puts them both to shame on fundamentals.

I said it before, but I think an on form Fury beats them both - hopefully the draw spurs him on rather than disillusions him to the sport.

If he can get up from a shot from Wilder he can take AJs hits.
AJ is a better boxer than Wilder, mind, but Fury still puts them both to shame on fundamentals.

I said it before, but I think an on form Fury beats them both - hopefully the draw spurs him on rather than disillusions him to the sport.
I think it will spur him on. After all his troubles he seem to still have that comedy side but when it's fight time he seems even more focused. And the antics sort of hide that he is very focused.
He won't get disillusioned as boxing is part of his culture. And well it now makes for a very intresting traingle in the heavyweight division and for the 1st time in what a decade + this division seems very much interesting.
Fury to hus credit seems to be the only 1 not hiding behind promoters and just wants to fight regardless of numbers

I think this fight showed two things. Fury is the best "boxer" of the three, but lacks a knock out punch and Wilder is not a "boxer" but has the knockout punch. He was giving away 3 stone to Fury and still knocked him down twice. AJ may just have the best of both worlds - boxing ability and knockout power at this level.

I think this fight showed two things. Fury is the best "boxer" of the three, but lacks a knock out punch and Wilder is not a "boxer" but has the knockout punch. He was giving away 3 stone to Fury and still knocked him down twice. AJ may just have the best of both worlds - boxing ability and knockout power at this level.

True but I think AJ has a suspect chin. There was a moment in the Klitscho fight where he was really wobbling and lucky for him that Klitscho was too fooked himself to put him away. Could have ended so differently. I can see both WIlder and AJ doing their best to avoid Fury.

True but I think AJ has a suspect chin. There was a moment in the Klitscho fight where he was really wobbling and lucky for him that Klitscho was too fooked himself to put him away. Could have ended so differently. I can see both WIlder and AJ doing their best to avoid Fury.

Yeah Wilder took some shots v both Ortiz and Fury and stayed up in both fights. Ortiz is also an old man who ran out of steam and should have finished Wilder off but didn't. Wilder may well have the best chin of the three. Still, if AJ catches either Wilder or Fury flush with his right uppercut they are both going down.

Well hes been dropped once against arguably the hardest hitting heavyweight in a generation and yes Klitscho was ****** but that's what happens when two men of that size go for it in the way they did. Wilder took some hits from Ortiz (Who was knackered himself) but didn't take much from Fury who has never been the biggest hitter.

Apart from Fury and Ortiz, Wilder hasn't got many names on his record for a man who's had something like 40 fights. He certainly wasn't in a position to challenge for a world ***le after 15 fights like Joshua was or even 24 fights like Fury was.

Fury was still ring rusty and I doubt Wilder will want to face him again and I doubt he will face AJ either.

Well hes been dropped once against arguably the hardest hitting heavyweight in a generation and yes Klitscho was ****** but that's what happens when two men of that size go for it in the way they did. Wilder took some hits from Ortiz (Who was knackered himself) but didn't take much from Fury who has never been the biggest hitter.

Apart from Fury and Ortiz, Wilder hasn't got many names on his record for a man who's had something like 40 fights. He certainly wasn't in a position to challenge for a world ***le after 15 fights like Joshua was or even 24 fights like Fury was.

Fury was still ring rusty and I doubt Wilder will want to face him again and I doubt he will face AJ either.

I'm not saying AJ has a glass jaw but there is a definite vulnerability there and I've heard some experts say as much. He's also been dropped in sparring - by David Price as I recall. Fury has a better chin and AJ would have to knock him out to get the win IMO as Fury is the better boxer.

Ortiz is getting on a bit but is still a dangerous and much avoided heavyweight. He was very unlucky against Wilder and if you look at the footage on YouTube he really rocked Wilder and the ref controversially stepped in to give Wilder a breather (at the start of eighth as I recall) after Wilder was wobbling badly after taking some brutal shots from Ortiz. They can't all avoid each other forever and with Usyk moving up to heavyweight the division is getting very exciting.

I'm not saying AJ has a glass jaw but there is a definite vulnerability there and I've heard some experts say as much. He's also been dropped in sparring - by David Price as I recall. Fury has a better chin and AJ would have to knock him out to get the win IMO as Fury is the better boxer.

Ortiz is getting on a bit but is still a dangerous and much avoided heavyweight. He was very unlucky against Wilder and if you look at the footage on YouTube he really rocked Wilder and the ref controversially stepped in to give Wilder a breather (at the start of eighth as I recall) after Wilder was wobbling badly after taking some brutal shots from Ortiz. They can't all avoid each other forever and with Usyk moving up to heavyweight the division is getting very exciting.

Fury has been knocked down 3 times once by a former Crusierweight that doesn't add up to having a better chin.

I think Wilder is buggered now to be honest. He can only really face two people: AJ or a less ring rusty Fury and he won't want to face either. If he takes a lesser fight now he will be ridiculed. I would put an outside bet on him retiring.

Fury has been knocked down 3 times once by a former Crusierweight that doesn't add up to having a better chin.

I think Wilder is buggered now to be honest. He can only really face two people: AJ or a less ring rusty Fury and he won't want to face either. If he takes a lesser fight now he will be ridiculed. I would put an outside bet on him retiring.

It's not all about the number of knockdowns. The way Fury got up in the 12th and saw out the fight was insane. Many others would either not have got up or would have got finished off by Wilder. I can see him taking the easy option - I think Breazeale is the WBC mandatory but hopefully they will order a re-match after the dodgy scoring.

It's not all about the number of knockdowns. The way Fury got up in the 12th and saw out the fight was insane. Many others would either not have got up or would have got finished off by Wilder. I can see him taking the easy option - I think Breazeale is the WBC mandatory but hopefully they will order a re-match after the dodgy scoring.

The way AJ got up against Klitchco was pretty insane too.

Yeah that's the same Breazeale who made like a punch bag for 7 rounds with AJ. Big, slow and easy to hit which is perfect for Wilder. I dont want to be too hard Wilder but he seems very protected and only takes difficult fights when he has too (Ortiz). I honestly think he only took Fury because he believed he was a sure thing. No way would he have taken that fight 3 years ago.

BT sport have put up 21 minute highlights of the fight. :).

I saw an article which said WBC 'approves' re-match between Wilder and Fury. Interesting that it didn't say 'orders'. I heard a rumour that Wilder v AJ is almost done - two fight deal with the first one at Wembley in April. Looks like they're both keen to avoid Fury for the time being and it allows the Hearns to put more pressure on Frank Warren as his man is left out in the cold for a year.

It was obvious that there would be a rematch. All hype and a tad dodgy for me. But loads will pay their 20 quids to watch it.

It was obvious that there would be a rematch. All hype and a tad dodgy for me. But loads will pay their 20 quids to watch it.

That's why these dodgy matches that get decided by 3 judges are suspicious and whether there is a "pressure" to score it a certain way to lead to a lucrative rematch. How the Mexican judge could score it 115-111 to Wilder was bemusing to say the least. Reminded me of Holyfield v Lewis the first fight. There should be 5 judges and the scores after each round shown to the audience and the fighters to see what is happening as the fight progresses IMO.

Latest posts