• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brief digression: PSA-era France

wait wait wait, a little bit of confusion on this thread, let's set the record straight.

FOREIGNERS:
yes, they are a problem because they are far too many. That means they take the place of our youngsters, and it hinders the development of that local young talent and they clog up and congest the Top 14 landscape.
Yes they raise the bar of the Top 14 in general, and our local guys are now used to playing against big Georgian props, massive Saffa forwards, Fijian wingers and ex-All-Black/Wallaby stars.
Yes there is a 55% quota in favor of French players in each team, but there isn't a quota of active players starting/or on bench. Toulon or Racing certainly don't have 55% actually playing those big matches in the playoffs, or even regular season. So that JIFF (i.e. club trained players, french) quota stat is BS through that scope.

BUT: is the France team playing like shiit because of...too many foreigners ?? That's perfectly ridiculous, and has literally zero relevance. France are as deep as ever, sure we could have an extra TH maybe or an extra no.8, but we're deep as ever. One of the Top 3 deepest nations in the world.
If anything, we can thank the Top 14 for that many foreigners because France are as deep as ever and benefit from playing in a high-level environment with Hosea Gears and Matt Giteaus and Wilkos and Steffon Armitages and co.

CALENDAR:
simple question: if it's clearly not the foreigners who are to blame, then what is it ? Calendar ? Alright, fine. Our guys are indeed burnt out, we've seen it with the many many many injuries, the constant remarks from players (though not whining) throughout the season, the inconsistency in performances on the pitch, Nicolas Mas not even playing at all in Test 3 in Aus because of "state of general fatigue"...
BUT: England as shown on this thread: http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/33530-England-vs-France-players-who-plays-more
turns out their guys play more minutes than our guys. While this stat is to be weighed in judiciously, and we should all understand they aren't categorically telling, they are nonetheless there. More minutes at club level for lots of those guys.

Preparation ? We got as many days before the last 6N as everybody else for the first time ever. You seen improvement ? We got on the plane to Wallaby-land right after our local French final, but so did the English to NZ after their Prem final. Look at what England did, and then what we did.

TALENT:
well then, if it ain't the foreigners or calendar, maybe it's just the players ? France is no good because they are that bad...while I'll concede we really could work at school level/early development on skill, we're definitely not less skilled than England or Wales, these guys don't throw insane no-look passes and what not. And France are just coming off fresh of a 2010 Grand Slam, and 2011 final where we more than held it together against NZ in their own backyard. Now we've replaced that generation with the likes of Domingo, Fickou, Fofana, Huget, Picamoles, Dulin, Bastareaud and co. who aren't exactly scrubs and are in fact better individually than the previous generation.
Our guys evolve in the most fearsome Top 14 league we've seen yet.
And I get back to the skill aspect: again, even if we do lack on the skill-set, all European teams do. And South Africa aren't exactly a model skill-wise, but their forwards are humongous, their backs have blazing speed and their Rugby is simple and straight-to-the-point enough they can be consistent. England showed EXTREMELY little skill in NZ, but they guys played their ball and, guess what, came close a couple of times.

TOO EASY TO BLAME IT ON THE COACH:
bear with me. If it clearly isn't the foreigners at all (we've got all the players we need and much much more at each position), it ain't all the calendar (look at England, they're doing well), and it ain't a considerable lack of talent, then you're left with only one possible cause:
the coaching.
A good coach can take a shiitty team and make them average/acceptable. A good coach can take a good team and make them Top 5. Just look at the turnaround Ireland have benefited from since Schmidt took over, and they're the same exact team on paper.

But if you look at how all those players do in the Top 14, and then you see how they do when playing in Bleus, you'd think they were clinically depressed when they got together, or literally the Bleus jersey had some kind of a magical power-canceling spell it casts on whomever dares wear it.
PSA isn't made to be a coach: he neither instills a real confidence in gameplan and Rugby strategy, nor even in the charisma/spirit boosting/taking command department. And his backs coach, Lagisquet, is an absolute disaster. Have you seen our backline in the past few years ?? At all ???

Conclusion:

if France play with no gameplan, are utter shiit on attack, have no confidence or consistency, seem like they have no plan B or anything they can lean onto, constantly look lost as if in outer space trying to reach for anything, anything they can get...that's none of the first 3 aforementioned reasons. That's simply the coaching staff.

B E WHY!!!!!!!! are you copying my posts with multitudes of hot air, i said all that in 18 lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! while i had to ask the boss for time off to read all of your post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good job i'm retired or i would never keep up with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx Gaston and Big E.

But here's my thinking, and tell me if it could be a possible scenario.

With the clubs throwing money (and a lot of it) towards foreign players like horny men at a strip club, won't this be a starting point for the downward spiral? It sends a message that French players aren't of great value in their own backyard, and that their clubs would rather look at better players from other countries?

This will equate to demoralised, unfocused french players.

Then add the long calendar... this leads to burn-out.

By the time they are with the National team, the coach, whoever it may be, has to try and get them focused and willing to play, even though they are also a bit burnt-out. Now I'm no coach, but to me, even that is a stretch too far, no matter how good a coach you are. I'm not saying PSA is a brilliant coach, in fact I agree that he is a muppet, but the blame can't surely alone rest on him and his staff.

@ Gaston, I get what you are saying about the FFR and their groupies, and to an extent it makes the problem so much more difficult to solve, but from my point of view it's just part of the problem. there needs to be some sort of mindshift along with an overhaul of the French Rugby system.

With the clubs throwing money (and a lot of it) towards foreign players like horny men at a strip club, won't this be a starting point for the downward spiral? It sends a message that French players aren't of great value in their own backyard, and that their clubs would rather look at better players from other countries? This will equate to demoralised, unfocused french players.Then add the long calendar... this leads to burn-out. By the time they are with the National team, the coach, whoever it may be, has to try and get them focused and willing to play, even though they are also a bit burnt-out. Now I'm no coach, but to me, even that is a stretch too far, no matter how good a coach you are. I'm not saying PSA is a brilliant coach, in fact I agree that he is a muppet, but the blame can't surely alone rest on him and his staff.@ Gaston, I get what you are saying about the FFR and their groupies, and to an extent it makes the problem so much more difficult to solve, but from my point of view it's just part of the problem. there needs to be some sort of mindshift along with an overhaul of the French Rugby system.

No you just do not get it!!....................................................

More money thrown at foreigners brings more money into the clubs who use it to pay for their increasing quality academies that bring more local talent who want to play Top 14 and International rugby for the addition money they can get from it compared to Pro 2 or Federale rugby!.............................................

Too long a season....I would contend that, in fact, the French guys are no more played than the English in the Premier League....I discount the Irish, Welsh and Scottish as they can rest players more easily as their league is not as competitive!........................

The coaching staff are indeed muppets and if they refuse to pick players because they do not like them even when they are seen as quality by everyone else, when they cannot raise the spirit of their players, when they do not seem to have a consistent way of playing, etc then they are to blame, very much to blame!.................................................

The FFR pick the coaches who make themselves available only if they are masochists or idiots as they are, when appointed, told what and how to do everything by interfering pricks who know little about the game and who do not pay fair compensation, a la England, to the clubs for the use of their players!....................................

The FFR and, to a lesser extent, the LNR must shoulder a lot of the blame for their inability to manage anything properly or attract the Galthie/Noves of this world and this can only be fixed when ALL coaches refuse to accept the position to force the FFR into change................was that a pig I just saw flying?..........................

Edit----sorry but all the individual paragraphs I put in are running into just the one when I click SAVE!

Last edited:
gaston: sorry, you know us French, all so verbose and complicated !

heineken: "This will equate to demoralised, unfocused french players."
Strange notion. More foreigners will only throw more wood to the fire for the local talent. In stead of just working for a spot against local wingers, they had to look for jobs against Sivivatu, Hosea Gear, Drew Mitchell, Nagusa or Nalaga and those guys.

The only thing I'll give PSA and staff is that the Top 14 has grown out of its shell disproportionately in comparison to test Rugby. I'm saying the Top 14 has become so big it no longer weighs in as half (or less) of the players' focus, it's a lot more. A grueling Top 14 season, + Heineken Cup or Amlin Challenge (the other smaller European Cup) and the guys are formatted to play club Rugby. You look at English Rugby, the fans, players, everybody is still very much prioritizing playing for country. They've got preventive/protective rules for their players, which we don't.
But still: all the time spent together by now, seeing how France DID get the full 12 days before the last 6N...there's just absolutely no justification possible for such an unbelievably negative record in 2 1/2 years. 38%, 4th then LAST then 4th at the 6N, more recently shipping 50 and 40 in Aus ? Ridiculous.

At the end of the day it comes right down to:
"have you seen Fofana and all the guys play for club ? Have you seen how they play in Bleus ? Look at other teams like England and how well they're doing. Clearly it's the FFR/national staff that isn't giving the Rugby or mental support the guys need." Full stop, end of discussion.

EDIT: goodpost Tony. +1.

Last edited:
gaston: sorry, you know us French, all so verbose and complicated !

heineken: "This will equate to demoralised, unfocused french players."
Strange notion. More foreigners will only throw more wood to the fire for the local talent. In stead of just working for a spot against local wingers, they had to look for jobs against Sivivatu, Hosea Gear, Drew Mitchell, Nagusa or Nalaga and those guys.

The only thing I'll give PSA and staff is that the Top 14 has grown out of its shell disproportionately in comparison to test Rugby. I'm saying the Top 14 has become so big it no longer weighs in as half (or less) of the players' focus, it's a lot more. A grueling Top 14 season, + Heineken Cup or Amlin Challenge (the other smaller European Cup) and the guys are formatted to play club Rugby. You look at English Rugby, the fans, players, everybody is still very much prioritizing playing for country. They've got preventive/protective rules for their players, which we don't.
But still: all the time spent together by now, seeing how France DID get the full 12 days before the last 6N...there's just absolutely no justification possible for such an unbelievably negative record in 2 1/2 years. 38%, 4th then LAST then 4th at the 6N, more recently shipping 50 and 40 in Aus ? Ridiculous.

At the end of the day it comes right down to:
"have you seen Fofana and all the guys play for club ? Have you seen how they play in Bleus ? Look at other teams like England and how well they're doing. Clearly it's the FFR/national staff that isn't giving the Rugby or mental support the guys need." Full stop, end of discussion.

I get your thinking, but most of the guys gives up their places for the likes of Habana, Mitchell and Sivivatu. The only guys left are your French established players like Medard and co. My OP was in regards to young foreigners like Paul Willemse now also being lured to France. Paul plays for the Bulls, and isn't a Springbok, he's now 21 years old. It's purchases like these that I'm querying. Does he really add fuel to the fire? He's not even a regular starter at the Bulls at the moment. What kind of message does this send to the french up-and-comers.

You do have a point aquiring players so young who still have to develope, there are not many Handre Pollards in the rugby world, but where i think some of you guys dont realise or understand is the young talent is there and now the clubs are looking more and more at loaning younger players out to Pro D2 clubs, this gives them more game time and there are good coaches and experienced players to bring them along. Young players who eg. stay at Montpellier are not going to get good game time however good they are, FTD plays 10 we have Enzo Selponi no 10 last season for France -20 he played 2/3 matches last season Illian Perraux also 10 for France -20 is loaned to DAX this season, he will get game time and could come back to Montpellier in the future a better and more experienced player, Kev Gimeno the same he has gone to Carcasonne, this will bring on the young talent that France has in abundance. Look at your own Super 14 how many 20 yo's are there playing week in week out, i'm sure not many, so they need experience before competing with the big boys. Which ever way you want to look at it the problem with France's rugby team is the FFR AND ITS COACHING SELECTIONS NO MORE NO LESS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want to say it but i wil,l a French club could well win again the elite European competition this season while France fail miserably in the forcoming WC. SAD but that at the moment is the way it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yeah I have no comment really about bringing in super young guys to the championship, that's just weird. And fkd. Top 14 wallets are so hungry for anything with a semblance of quality, they'll take cubs from abroad now...that's just fkng stupid imo.

And people need to understand, the Top 14 coaches and procurement departments don't give a shiit about French players. They might say they do, and some might still have a little bit of that old principial fiber in them, but coaches have to be realistic. Toulon have a bunch of stars, so all the others need to bust their as$es and get big names themselves just to remain competitive. Just to stay in the game. So club authorities will stop at nothing to get whatever is best to help them win, and they don't give a flying bananadick about 'French local talent' or wtvr. They couldn't care less the breeding tank is suffocating in France, clearly, as seen by the way they act.
Why develop a young Tighthead, wait for him to grow, mature..etc...when you can get a cheaper Georgian prop all set to go already ? Who gives a fk about the "local talent".

when I said we didn't need to conclude on this debate that it would come back again and again this season, i didn't think it would be that early !! http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/33507-Top-14-2014-15-Season/page2

the fact that a top club like Toulouse has clearly distanced itself from the national league (LNR) by no longer having a seat doesn't help either. It brings complete discredit to what the Ligue stands for. What purpose serves LNR if the biggest club is no longer represented? Toulon will follow suit then Clermont SF etc

In the years to come these clubs will all pull out and set up their own super league. This is coming.

ask yourself what is being done about the issues highlighted in all your posts. Answer is : absolutely nothing ! but hey these boys are officially in charge.

there is no longer any dialogue btw FFR-LNR and the clubs. It's like 2 trains plowing along, they can see each other but there is no plan to stop and talk.

Look for more fireworks this season btw clubs and Usual Suspects. With the WC in sight, relations will reach boiling point. You can quote me on that one.

the media are going to love it

More fireworks I said !!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is some discussion about forming franchises and then below that having a French Championship for the Bouclier, something on the lines of Super 14 in the SH, this would then creats 2 Championships the first for the top guys plus all the foreigners then a scale lower the Top 14 as it is today with all the youngsters getting more game time, this could result in less games but who will be in charge which will be the biggest problem. As they are only talking and i think very quietly lets not get too worrieed cos it aint going to happen soon.

FrenchFan said:
Noves is not stupid to want that job. He wants to coach a successful team in a succesful club. That's what he's been doing.
Well, surely at one point he would want to make the step up to the international side. He has won everything there is to be won with his club already. Also, I think France's current situation is due to the poor coach they have picked not due to the players not being good enough. You guys haven't had a proper coach for far too long now.

gaston le gaff said:
There is some discussion about forming franchises and then below that having a French Championship for the Bouclier, something on the lines of Super 14 in the SH, this would then creats 2 Championships the first for the top guys plus all the foreigners then a scale lower the Top 14 as it is today with all the youngsters getting more game time, this could result in less games but who will be in charge which will be the biggest problem. As they are only talking and i think very quietly lets not get too worrieed cos it aint going to happen soon.
How would they convince the Top14 clubs to accept becoming the 2nd tier of French "club" rugby? Impossible! They know that once this new competition would be established the sponsors and TV channels would gravitate towards it thus the clubs would lose revenue and prestige. One has to be realistic about these things... the Top14 are richer than the FFR and RFU put together!

What? He's good enough IMO but I think he said he didn't want the job when it was available.

That is really very interesting, Gaston. A move to get the 'delivery train' back under their control... in essence it makes a lot of sense but BOY there is a lot fine details and politics that would be involved if it ever gets off the ground.

How would they convince the Top14 clubs to accept becoming the 2nd tier of French "club" rugby? Impossible! They know that once this new competition would be established the sponsors and TV channels would gravitate towards it thus the clubs would lose revenue and prestige. One has to be realistic about these things... the Top14 are richer than the FFR and RFU put together!

But can they do anything about it actually? The clubs I mean, to stop the FFR? I don't know French law or the details of the agreements in place between the FFR and the clubs but surely the FFR has the mandate and authority to make changes somewhere along the line?

stormer2010 said:
But can they do anything about it actually? The clubs I mean, to stop the FFR? I don't know French law or the details of the agreements in place between the FFR and the clubs but surely the FFR has the mandate and authority to make changes somewhere along the line?
I thought the proposal is to use the same players, A.K.A. to take players from the clubs like the SR sides take players from the smaller teams that are affiliated to them. If that's the case, then the clubs would simply refuse to release the players. If the proposal is to use other players, then, where would all these French players come from and how exactly would a competition using leftover players sit "above" the club level, like in SR? I think the French players that aren't good enough for the T14 go to the ProD2, and if they're good enough they then get picked by T14 clubs again, or they promote with their club, etc..

I also don't see what the issue is with having a lot of foreigners.... as long as about a third of the players in T14 are French then there are about as many French players in T14 as there are NZ players in their 5 SR franchises.

Basco
reading you posts generally I feel you would've benefited from being here some time ago as you point out things and bring up points that have been addressed a ton of times before, just recently. At least concerning the Top 14.

And the issue with Guy Novès is he seems exponentially more and more vehement towards the FFR and the current staff, and with the accumulated remarks he's made just this year alone in that regard, there's enough to crack up when even thinking of seeing old Guy Novès coach France.
Then again, you never know...but he wouldn't take the chance now, and the risk is enormous because France the team basically needs to be taught how to play Rugby, like, even the fundamentals. So to pick em up from scratch isn't a task for an old veteran who has proven his worth countless times in the past, especially given the current makeup of France and the politics going on there.
He'd be a hero to venture there, but I think the odds of that happening are laughable enough for us to just sit back, imagine it happening and just laugh, and that's that.

Since we're on the topic, I have really no clue who they're gonna pick next...I've thought of many scenarios I'd like personally for France, but I haven't really thought of who they'll likely bring in...
given the current setting, they seem to have a taste for nonexistent, utterly nonchalant individuals and don't seem to care about results at all...so basically, anybody could do in theory.

the clubs are not trying to stop FFR. Stop them from what anyway?! They want get as far as possible and run their own ship.

You think because a Federation has a mandate to do whatever they are going to do it. They might as well have a mandate to pick their nose.

FFR are stuck in a time warp. They are not trying to change anything neither is the League.

Problem is they're so incompetent and disorganised. The rift with the clubs is so big that it will be a status quo until the next WC. Try not to rock the boat too much in case change happen. That's their modus operandi.

Latest posts