• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Calling all SIRs!!!: Knock-on question

wiktor

Academy Player
Country Flag
Poland
Club or Nation
Toulouse
Situation: Time in the second half of a rugby Union game has expired. The current play is still going on, so the Referee keeps play going. Then, the Winning team knocks the ball on, and then picks it up. This normally would cause a scrum for the non-infringing team. However, since the full time regulation is already over, does the Referee call for the end of the game because of the dead ball, or does he award a scrum to the losing non-infringing side? I think the scrum is what happens, but could somebody please clarify?

Cheerio

The whistle goes for the end of the game.
Seen this happen a number of times and its always very frustrating, especially if the side has worked their way right up the pitch only to knock on under the sticks.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

The only time the game does not end after time has expired and the ball becomes dead is when a penalty or free kick is awarded, with one exception!

If a scrum is awarded before time expires, then after time expires, that scrum collapses or otherwise has to be reset, then the scrum is reset and play carries on, i.e. for the purposes of this, it is considered to be the same scrum. In this case, play ends only when the scrum has bee successfully completed.

it seems like a flawed rule because the winning team, knowing that the time has expired, can just throw the ball forward and out of bounds. Seems like a cheap way to tend the game.

it seems like a flawed rule because the winning team, knowing that the time has expired, can just throw the ball forward and out of bounds. Seems like a cheap way to tend the game.

You are not allowed to deliberatly throw the ball forward, or out of bounds. This is contrary to fair play. You'd be much better off just knocking it on ;)

The only time the game does not end after time has expired and the ball becomes dead is when a penalty or free kick is awarded, with one exception!

If a scrum is awarded before time expires, then after time expires, that scrum collapses or otherwise has to be reset, then the scrum is reset and play carries on, i.e. for the purposes of this, it is considered to be the same scrum. In this case, play ends only when the scrum has bee successfully completed.
I think the question is: if the winning team knocks on, then does it count as "playing advantage" not to end the game? Even if they regather the ball?

I think the question is: if the winning team knocks on, then does it count as "playing advantage" not to end the game? Even if they regather the ball?

Yes. advantage applies after time has expired, just as it would at any other time in the game. If the non-infringing team is unable to gain an advantage the referee will blow his whistle for what would normally be a scrum, then the game is over.

Latest posts