• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Can we say Scotland are actually back now?

So can someone actually explain why they didn't resign Cotter's contract? I'm looking at Cotter's CV vs Townsend's and they are not even close. Townsend has nowhere near the experience Cotter does, he's only been head-coaching since 2012 while Cotter has been at it since 2000. Also taking into account how much better Scotland have been performing the past few years - they can actually score tries now and genuinely look composed and menacing at times, remember when Scotland's only wins were through grinding down the opposition to their sh*te level and Paterson's boot? Sure Townsend has so far done a good job with Glasgow, but they only won the Pro-12 once and let's face it the Pro-12 isn't exactly teeming with quality opposition. Plus they sit at 6th at the moment.

It's just a no-brainer for me. I'm not doubting Townsend's coaching abilities, it could be fantastic for Scotland. But nobody really knows, the experience just isn't there yet. Why fix what's not broken? I'm concerned about this because I really want Scotland's resurgence to improve, it was simply fantastic actually having them in the competition. They were unlucky with all their injures and the YC against England, that could've been a very fun match to watch with Scotland coming 3rd. Anyways Cotter has built up a decent squad, the foundations are there. I will be watching their tour to Australia with interest, though without Hogg I'm not sure if they can be as competitive as their last 2 encounters with the Ozzies (both of which they should really really have won!). Who's Hogg's back-up?

Good post.

It's an interesting debate because one could argue that Cotter has benefited greatly from the good work done by Townsend at Glasgow. The development of the Scottish players at Glasgow is there for all to see. I think Townsend is a very astute coach and we'll find out just how good he is at international level after he takes over. The quality of rugby Glasgow showed away to Leicester this season and against Munster in the Pro12 final two years ago was exceptional. The transition should be fairly seamless given his relationship with most of the players. Cotter has done really well in the last couple of years and has been able to turn glorious defeats into wins. We really struggled to put in 80 minute performances and Cotter has been able to get Scotland to perform better in this regard, especially in the second half as was shown against Ireland and especially Wales.

I think the timing of the bunny rabbits story didn't help Cotter and there were whispers about Townsend being targeted by English club sides. Throw in the fact that Dave Rennie was possibly up for grabs and I think Cotter was the unlucky one to lose out. Scottish rugby has three top coaching jobs and we now have Townsend, Rennie and Cockerill - so not a bad outcome for the SRU.

Last edited:
Most likely Mark Dodson.

Cotter is off to Montpelier but I think he would be good pick to take over from the likes of Gatland at Wales or maybe even Guy Noves at France if they're in the market for a new head coach in a year or two. The brand of rugby he likes to play would appeal to most rugby fans.

Last edited:
It's got to be tough for them losing Cotter. I would ideally like Cotter as the All Blacks coach once Hansen calls it a day.

Latest posts