• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canterbury's Lineup

F

fcukernaut

Come week 8 when the All Blacks return to their teams, Canterbury will have lovely problem to solve: who will be in the first XV. Some selections will be easier than others but the real challenge will be who gets playing time in the midfield. Stephen Brett has been playing lights out in the past few weeks, sure he's had some problems here and there but you have to expect that from a young player. None the less he's proven that he excell at this level and deserves to play significant minutes the rest of the way. The only problem is Daniel Carter and Aaron Mauger are coming back. Carter will obviously slot right back in and run the show, but how to do you split Mauger's and Brett's playing time? And then what happens to Rua Tipoki, who in his own right has played outstanding? A resonable backline to expect might look like this:

15) MacDonald
14) Gear
13) Tipoki
12) Mauger
11) Hamilton
10) Carter
9) Ellis

Obviously, that puts Laulala, Ralph and Brett on the bench. Laulala has played pretty well so far barring the game in Auckland and Ralph has played some solid defence and finished a couple of tries this week against the Cheetahs. Another option would be to have Carter at first-five, Brett at second-five and then push Mauger out to centre.

There are also a few problems in the pack as well. McCaw is clearly going to take Leo'o's spot and Jack will slip back into one of the lock spots and shore up the shotty Canterbury lineout. The real question mark is what to do with Kieran Reed. He's played brilliantly as of late but plays Thorne's prefered position. The pack should look something like this:

1) Crockett/Franks
2) Flynn
3) Johnson
4) Jack
5) Thorne/Reed
6) Reed/Thorne
7) McCaw
8) Tuiali'i

Any other possible solutions?

id like to see carter and brett play in the same backline...see how that combo runs...would be quite difficult for the defense to defend against one would imagine

I dont think Tipoki will suit centre. He's more of a 2nd 5/8.
Never seen him play centre at this level

deans is a smart coach and will come up with something to use all his talent not just in the starting line-up but off the bench. I wouldn't be suprised to see brett at 12 and carter at 10 at some stage.

but taking out mauger, the incumbent all black, and putting in brett, who probably has little or no time in his short carreer at send five could be a bit dangerous. maybe off the bench for 10-15 minutes i see it but defiantly dont see him starting at 12. Also dont see mauger moving out to 13, he is not a centre. I see Tipoki there, has he played centre for auckland/north harbour before? i cant recall.

In the backline i am more inclined to put Ralf at 11 and Hamilton on the bench, but then you get rid of Brent Ward who has been playing pretty well. There is no point having two fullback/wings on your team bench i think.

the forward pack you have up there is pretty much what i would think as well :)

but taking out mauger, the incumbent all black, and putting in brett, who probably has little or no time in his short carreer at send five could be a bit dangerous. maybe off the bench for 10-15 minutes i see it but defiantly dont see him starting at 12. Also dont see mauger moving out to 13, he is not a centre. I see Tipoki there, has he played centre for auckland/north harbour before? i cant recall.[/b]

I believe Mauger played centre for a little bit when Merhts was around with Carter at second-five. However, his skill set is far more suited for second five. I was simply just pointing out possible player scenarios. Brett will eventually have to learn how to play second five unless they feel he is going to become the All Black first-five. So that might be the best way to go, by bringing Brett on off the bench into second-five so he can learn how to handle it once Mauger leaves after the World Cup. As for Tipoki I fully believe he is capable of playing centre. He has the footwork and he's certainly big and quick enough, so I don't really see the problem.

In the backline i am more inclined to put Ralf at 11 and Hamilton on the bench, but then you get rid of Brent Ward who has been playing pretty well. There is no point having two fullback/wings on your team bench i think.[/b]

Ralph is a bum. I'm sick of him. He's slow and doesn't finish as well as he used to a few years ago, all he can do now is play some defence and be an "experienced leader". Hamilton has looked extremely dangerous attacking from the back, well, anytime with the ball in hand for that matter and certainly is no slouch on defence either. So in my opinion it is a no brainer decision.

Brent Ward has looked a little lost out there this year, I don't know why but he certainly doesn't look that dangerous whether it be at wing or fullback.

the forward pack you have up there is pretty much what i would think as well[/b]

What do you make of this Ben Franks kid? I think he's played played alright, but I think Crockett is a better player and far more mobile.

At the very least Canterbury will be a deep team, and will be quite entertaining.

Also remember the hands of Henry are far reaching... I don't expect to anything other than a Carter, Mauger combination. Well for at least 60 mins anyway.

yeah i am impressed with ben franks :) seams pretty good and strong.

Crocket has a little bit more experience, not much and seams to have a good technique at scrum time but its hard for me to pick as i havnt really paid to much attention to them at scrum time. Also i havnt seen much good scrumaging since the new laws were introduced.

If it was me, I would leave Carter on the bench and get him on for the last 10 - 15mins. Brett has been playing well so far but he doesnt deserve to be demoted to the bench.

Once the rested ABs are back, would be wise to ease them slowly into the field (just my opinion) and then start them once they reach the business end of the competition.

Agree Brett seems to be holding the fort pretty well.
As for the rested bit, do some investigating, makes interesting reading.

Well brett has just two more games Left before Carter gets back...Shame as hes a real talent. ITs a hint though if you want to be a first five eight get over and go to school at christchurch boys high. They have produced some good talent ... Andrew Mehrtens to Daniel Carter seems like Brett has to be the next 1st 5 ...although bad timing as he might be over shadowed by Carter untill some1 younger comes along.

Anyway here is my Line-up

15.Macdonald
14.Gear
13.Ralph
12.Mauger
11.Hamilton
10.Carter
9.Ellis
8.Tuiali'i
7.McCaw
6.Thorne
5.Reed
4.Jack
3.Johnson
2.Flynn
1.Crockett

Brett and Carter in the same backline would be mean , But i would like to see Brett play first 5 for his career. Maby he should move to the Chiefs...Donald is just Random.

jelous???

putting carter to 12 wouldnt be a bad idea, he has played there plenty of times as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Juggernaut")</div>
If it was me, I would leave Carter on the bench and get him on for the last 10 - 15mins. Brett has been playing well so far but he doesnt deserve to be demoted to the bench.[/b]

Maybe in the first week, but after that you have to get him in the lineup. I still don't trust Brett's boot, in terms of goal kicking.

ITs a hint though if you want to be a first five eight get over and go to school at christchurch boys high[/b]

Well they didn't really "produce" Carter, he was only there for one year. But if you really want to think about that way, there will soon be a big Chch Boys High backline going. It'll be Carter at 10, Brett at 12 and Bateman at 13. Just a thought.

15.Macdonald
14.Gear
13.Ralph
12.Mauger
11.Hamilton
10.Carter
9.Ellis
8.Tuiali'i
7.McCaw
6.Thorne
5.Reed
4.Jack
3.Johnson
2.Flynn
1.Crockett[/b]

I don't agree with your selection at centre. I don't think Ralph good enough to be on the wing anymore let alone at centre. If you saw how atrocious he was against Auckland, you'd realize that's a bad idea to play him there. Either Laulala or Tipoki would be far better selections, leaning toward Tipoki.

Brett and Carter in the same backline would be mean , But i would like to see Brett play first 5 for his career. Maby he should move to the Chiefs...Donald is just Random.[/b]

With how the game of rugby is evolving I don't think it matters whether you play first or second five. That line between the two positions is blurring. You have to be able to distribute and be able to kick the ball. So to me it doesn't really matter. However, Brett may well get his chance to play 1st 5. It's a possiblitly to move carter back to 2nd 5 and keep Brett playing 10. Remember Carter started out as a 2nd 5. Also, keep in mind Aaron Mauger started out as a first-five but certainly found his niche at second five.

Carter has already said he enjoys 1st 5 alot more than any other position. He didnt start out as a second 5, he did for the saders, But he was a 1st 5 at club and High school rugby.

The game is evovling, But you still control the game more at 1st 5 ...you call more shots a good second 5 who plays like a 1st 5 would just compliment that especially if both kick with different feet like carter and mauger.

Carter has to be one of my favourite players, all im saying is id like players to play the position they want and where they have been playing. Playing them together would be a good combination for the team, But id like to see Brett challenge Carter for that 1st 5 spot. who knows if they end up pairing together for a 1st 5 second combo with the ALL BLACKS all good, at Super 14 rugby and NPC id like to see them play 1st 5 and challenge each other.

Latest posts