• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues 12 - 16 Ospreys

S

Sir Speedy

Talk about intense!
Two points:

Probably the best the Ospreys have played all season.
Cardiff should be absolutely ashamed; they were f***ing diabolical!

That said, Ospreys deserved the win and with interest, given they were playing against the referee aswell. Their two tries from Byrne and Tiatia were well taken, but it's obvious that they should have scored more and with ease.
Intensity and passion aside, the only remote bit of class came from Henson's little grubber through the Cardiff defence. Apart from that, the game was dominated by handling errors, penalties and kicking contests.
Halfpenny and Tom James both made some superb breaks, but there was nothing really on either time due to lack of support. The Ospreys attacks however, all looked threatening because when the first man was beaten, there were three on hand each time to receive the try-scoring pass... Even though some resilient defence, or otherwise poor play from the Ospreys generally stopped them from adding more points.
Sadly for the Blues, Ben Blair is injured with a broken hand (o_0), so they'll hope this won't prevent them from progressing in Europe.

As for the Ospreys, they played tremendously, destroying Cardiff's pack all afternoon, yet you feel they still didn't leave second gear, and they've left a lot to desire.
I still don't think they'll escape their European pool, but opinions aside, you can't fault the fact they're top of the Magners table.
I think I'll add that Biggar was poor today. Perhaps he should stop taking training sessions with Hook, because I saw a lot of Hook in Biggar's game today (i.e. poor chips / kicks that weren't on; interception-prone passes).

I was the only one that predicted an Ospreys victory ^_^

Why was Henson playing fullback?

Lol I see, did he put in any big hits and how was his general play?

I feel he is still one of the best centers in Welsh rugby when he's got form

In my opinion, he was decent. As I said, the only class bit of play came from his vision.
That said, and I think I'll get agreed with all round - at least by the other Welshies! - he would be far more effective in midfield, or even at fly half. Fact is, Ospreys didn't bring him into the game enough, and when they did towards the end, their tempo was raised.
I still don't understand the hype surrounding his boot though.
HE HASN'T KICKED AT GOAL FOR YEARS! I love how the commentators expect him to take 50 - 60 metres kicks everytime a penalty is awarded, and are then surprised when Hook or Biggar take it...

Yeah I also think his "huge boot" is overrated, I would pick him because of his good hands, general kicking and offensive and defensive abbilities
but definitly not at fullback...!

Cardiff Blues loosing to the Ospreys = FAIL

No wait =EPIC FAIL :p wouldn't you say Cymro

Was this a full strength Blues team? I see their form is not great ahead of the big one against Glaws.

Here is the team:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Cardiff Blues: 15. Ben Blair 14. Richard Mustoe 13. Tom Shanklin 12. Gareth Thomas 11. Tom James 10. Nick Robinson 9. Jason Spice 1. Gethin Jenkins 2. Gareth Williams 3. Taufa'ao Filise 4. Deiniol Jones 5. Paul ***o 6. Ma'ama Molitika 7. Martyn Williams 8. Andy Powell
Replacements: 16. John Yapp 17. T.Rhys Thomas 18. Scott Morgan 19. Robin Sowden-Taylor 20. Darren Allinson 21. Ceri Sweeney 22. Leigh Halfpenny[/b]

Why did Mustoe start ahead of Halfpenny?Strange!

It was a great game to watch - im glad that Tiatia did manage to score the try near the end, Ospreys had had so many opportunities, it would have been frustrating to see the Blues win.

Its going to be great if Connacht manage to finish ahead of Cardiff and yet despite finishing bottom of the Magners League, they still qualify for the HEC...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 1 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its going to be great if Connacht manage to finish ahead of Cardiff and yet despite finishing bottom of the Magners League, they still qualify for the HEC...[/b]

I doubt that will happen!

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Gav started at fullback to prevent that absolute nonce Jonny Vaughton from actually getting on the field. Cracking move.
Our forwards were excellent, and with a 12 stone advantage we were always going to maul their scrum.
Biggar I thought was ok, he did a couple of daft things but his work in the build-up for the first try was excellent. I'd still start him ahead of Hook, but maybe a fiery local derby at the Arms Park wasn't ideal for an exuberant 19 year old.
Don't really see where Cymro's coming from saying the Blues should have won, both sides had their chances and made their fair share of mistakes but the Ospreys were the better side and deserving winners.
Sooooooooo glad Andy Powell had his off day against us!! :D :D

"Sooooooooo glad Andy Powell had his off day against us!!"

I thought he was pretty good.
If that's what his off-days look like, then we have a pretty talented player!

I'm sold on Powell, the guy does like to graft and graft and graft and graft. Surely he must be the perfect Lions Number 8 with Nick Easter in reserve...

David Wallace in reserve imo. then again what do i know. just one of the great unwashed, munster supporting pesants.

where did that come from.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 1 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Gav started at fullback to prevent that absolute nonce Jonny Vaughton from actually getting on the field. Cracking move.
Our forwards were excellent, and with a 12 stone advantage we were always going to maul their scrum.
Biggar I thought was ok, he did a couple of daft things but his work in the build-up for the first try was excellent. I'd still start him ahead of Hook, but maybe a fiery local derby at the Arms Park wasn't ideal for an exuberant 19 year old.
Don't really see where Cymro's coming from saying the Blues should have won, both sides had their chances and made their fair share of mistakes but the Ospreys were the better side and deserving winners.
Sooooooooo glad Andy Powell had his off day against us!! :D :D[/b]

I can easily say we should have won because we threw opporunties away, had Blair kicked that penalty in the first half we would have won ... simple really!

:huh: Then it would have been 15-16! Biggar also missed one, matey boy!
It was an intense and tight affair and the better side prevailed.

Speedy, Powell was alright, I'm just saying he wasn't as dynamic as he has been over the last few months, praise the Lord!

Latest posts