• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Munster

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
Munster.png

Cardiff Blues v Munster</div>

Well it's the Heineken Cup Final most people expected only it's coming 2 weeks early in the Magners League.

Munster have already wrapped up the league ***le and so rest their front liners presumably before a final game farewell next week at Thomond Park against the Ospreys.

The Blues have a chance to cement their HEC spot with both the Dragons and the Scarlets being heavily defeated this weekend. A bonus point will get the job done for the Blues and Dai Young can rest his remaining Lions as he's promised before they leave for South Africa.

With more to play for I'd expect the Blues to get the win but as they've proved this season Munster's second string side can more than hold their own in this league.

Cardiff Blues: L Halfpenny; R Mustoe, J Robinson, J Roberts, C Czekaj; N Robinson, D Allinson; J Yapp, G Williams, G Powell, B Davies, S Morgan, S Warburton, M Williams, A Powell.
Replacements: S Hobbs, T Rhys Thomas, D Jones, B White, R Rees, C Sweeney, T James.

Munster: D Hurley; B Carney, B Murphy, K Earls, I Dowling; J Manning, P Stringer; F Pucciariello, D Fogarty, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll capt; N Williams, N Ronan, D Leamy.
Replacements: M Essex, T Buckley, J Coughlan, D Foley, C Murray, P Warwick, K Lewis.

Referee: Peter Allan (SRU)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 10 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
Munster.png

Cardiff Blues v Munster

Well it's the Heineken Cup Final most people expected only it's coming 2 weeks early in the Magners League.

Munster have already wrapped up the league ***le and so rest their front liners presumably before a final game farewell next week at Thomond Park against the Ospreys.

The Blues have a chance to cement their HEC spot with both the Dragons and the Scarlets being heavily defeated this weekend. A bonus point will get the job done for the Blues and Dai Young can rest his remaining Lions as he's promised before they leave for South Africa.

With more to play for I'd expect the Blues to get the win but as they've proved this season Munster's second string side can more than hold their own in this league.

Cardiff Blues: L Halfpenny; R Mustoe, J Robinson, J Roberts, C Czekaj; N Robinson, D Allinson; J Yapp, G Williams, G Powell, B Davies, S Morgan, S Warburton, M Williams, A Powell.
Replacements: S Hobbs, T Rhys Thomas, D Jones, B White, R Rees, C Sweeney, T James.

Munster: D Hurley; B Carney, B Murphy, K Earls, I Dowling; J Manning, P Stringer; F Pucciariello, D Fogarty, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll capt; N Williams, N Ronan, D Leamy.
Replacements: M Essex, T Buckley, J Coughlan, D Foley, C Murray, P Warwick, K Lewis.

Referee: Peter Allan (SRU)[/b][/quote]

Yeah but there's 'Second String' and then there's 'Jeremy Manning'. Dooooooooooooooooooooomed. Interesting to see Halfpenny at fullback.

Unfortunately I'll miss this one. Contract Exam half 9 tomorrow morning. CRAM TIME!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ May 10 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How's Brian Carney going for Munster?[/b]

I think this is his first CAP this year. He was only kept around for 7s duty for Ireland and Munster A games.

Off the radar alltogether. Should have stuck with League me thinks.

Earls against Roberts at 12, should be very interesting.

Should be a good game, both teams like to move the ball.

Happy (and shocked) to see Brian Carney back in the team, he has had a horrible season injury wise, no doubt he will be injured in the warm up before the game today or something.

Freddie is retiring in 5 days time :( Ligind, will be missed.

Foley on the bench is a huge prospect, hopefully he will get some gametime.

13 Irish Qualified players starting, 19 in the 22. Not bad at all!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ May 10 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Foley on the bench is a huge prospect, hopefully he will get some gametime.[/b]
I've heard nothing but good things about him. Hopefully he'll come on and I'll see for myself if the hype is worth it.

It's good to see Conor Murray on the bench too. He wasn't particularly impressive for the Ireland u20 team but he's apparently been playing well for Garryowen. I wonder whether Duncan Williams is injured or has Murray moved ahead of him?

It's interesting that while most of the Munster first XV are rested, Tony Buckley still can't get in ahead of John Hayes.

Brian Carney and Paul Warwick are out. Keiran Lewis replaces Carney with Andrew Burke and Jason Holland (!!!!!!!) called up to the bench.

GOWAN Cardiff. Smash them in the 'could've been' European final...

Robinson misses the first kick. Why isn't Halfpenny kicking? :c

Halpenny pulled out just before, a small injury, that isn't serious atall.

Powell, Warberton, Tom James all having blinders so far!

Blues dominating, Muster can't get their hand on the ball. Blues should be further ahead than 5 points, Robinson's missed two simple kicks...

Munster hitting back, showing their efficiency again.

Edit: nice to hear the Blues fans silent during the conversion. Misses it though, so it's 5-5.

Glad to hear Jamie Roberts coming off the field isn't because of a serious injury. He's had a knock to his shoulder, but should be fine for the Lions.

ok was getting a little worried when I read on Setanta that he came off with a shoulder injury.

Final score - Blues 20 - 12 Munster. We finally see the emergence of Sam Warberton as he was awarded man of the match, should see him going on the summer tour to Canada and America.

Game got a bit stodgy in the second half, but an interception try by Sweeney sealed the deal.

Roberts was looking fine by the end sitting in the stands.

and that's their HEC spot secured as well so no need now for the Lions to play the remaining 2 games, they need a break given their recent run.

How about that for a debut by Andrew Burke. He and Ceri Sweeney reenacted the O'Gara to O'Driscoll double act from a week ago!

That game was a wasted opportunity for Munster. Why give squad places to Brian Carney (who had to pull out for unfortunate reasons), Kieran Lewis and Federico Pucciariello when all three are going to be shipped out at the end of the season? This was a perfect opportunity to blood Andrew Burke (who only got two minutes), Conor Murray, Dave Foley, Scott Deasy and the like. Even Tony Buckley could have done with a start to prove he's the heir to John Hayes' position.

All Tony McGahan can take from this is that Denis Hurley and Jeremy Manning are little more than AIL players and that the basic passing skills of those outside his first team are well below the required standard. The Blues were value for their win.

Sam Warburton showed how good he is today. Im very pleased that we have a welsh backrower, who can play blindside coming through.

Was very impressed with the Cardiff scrum today, from the stand it looked as if Hayes seemed to be under a bit of pressure from Yapp.

Munster frustrated me because they were happy to just plod, were constantly dropping down injured when we picked up momentum and just didn't seem to want to play rugby. The strangle and slowing down technique was very boring today.

Yeah I understand that this was a bit of a nothing game for them. But considering they have a set up based on pride, youd expect them to at least come out and play a bit of rugby. They were just happy to go through the motions and make it a very boring and lifeless game.

The only individuals on the munster team willing to do get a bit of tempo was Keith Earls and their number 7, Ronan i think it was, who I thought were both very good.

Latest posts