• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Centre pair

yeh a fully fit Gavin Henson and a fully fit Brian O'driscoll would carve it up!!!! :lol:

Jauzion and BOD - inside or outside - wouldn't make a difference...that would be a quality partnership

i think that ollie smith is one of the most underrated players around. got picked for the lions but ignored for england, and yes, i know that he had a slump in form, but he's going to get better again this season, and with mauger inside him, that can be one of the better centre partnerships in club rugby

I`d prefer a creator at 12, and a ruthless finisher at 13.

My 12 would have to be a clairvoyant reader of the game, someone with an excellent pass, able to hit his target off of either hand, plus he needs to be a good communicator. And although some might disagree here, his personality needs to dominate the 10`s slightly, since your 10`s eyes should be on the flight of the ball from 9, while your 12 has that split second longer to make the call. The 3 best for my money at 12 are definately Giteau, Jaunzion and D`Arcy. And Catt`s actually a pretty decent playmaker too. But for my money, Gits just has that extra little edge as a playmaker, being a former 10 who knows how to read the game and communicate just a tad better than the others.

At 13 you want the ruthless finisher. While your 12`s job is to make a metre of space for your 13 out of a millimetre, the 13`s got to be able to exploit the created space. So he needs the raw pace, acceleration, stepping skills and power. Plus he`s our main guy on defense, especially if you`re playing a rush- he needs to smash his opposite number with ball and all. The 2 current test standouts, beyond a doubt Mortlock and O`Driscoll. I`d give O`Driscoll the nod over the rest, due to his superior finishing ability.

Im surprised at all the votes for Gits. He's been quiet all year thus far. His form is pretty poor to be honest.

I remember a couple of years ago, the centre pairing I wanted to see was:
12. B O'Driscoll
13. Tana Umaga

This year?
12. Luke McAlister
13. Stirling Mortlock/B O'Driscoll

I would agree with a giteau/BOD centre pairing. I would say that mortlock/giteau and BOD/D'Arcy are two of the most experienced, exciting and incredible pairings to watch. France's Jauzion/Traille is definitely close as well. But a giteau/Bod partnership would combine all the perfect aspects of the game: a fair kicking game, eye for the gap, pace, creativity, and distribution skills all in the same package.

Juggernaut, I could not agree with you more. Most South Africans see absolutely nothing in Olivier. I think he is kak. He has almost 20 (maybe more) springbok caps, and i have yet to see him do 1 thing which warrants his place there. He can only defend, and that is because opposing teams realise he is the weak link in the backline. SARugby.com gave him a rating of 2 or 3/10 for the last NZ South Africa game, so don't worry - we don't rate him over here either.

Currently the best centre pairing i could think of would be Giteau and BOD.. Man that would be insane - so much pace and creativity!

Of all time - Horan and Sella. Gerber also deserves a mention.. And Brian Lima, just for that tackle on Hougaard. What a man.

Most old heads will know what I'm talking about here.

12. Danie Gerber, 13. Joe Stanley OR 12. Mike Gibson, 13. Phillipe Sella

I wouldn't trade Giteau and Mortock for any other centre pairing in world rugby. Although Darcy and O'Driscoll are equally as good. All time that's easy Tim Horan and Frank Bunce. Watch out for McCalister at the WC. Morlock showed he's not a 13 but he's about to explode at 12 I think. Has the skill of Giteau and the Strength of Morlock. Although being a good centre is all about combination with the other centre and the Kiwis haven't had a good centre combo since Tana retired. Probabaly becasue they change the combination every week.

It would have to be O'Driscoll at outside cos hes so dynamic round the field and so solid all around the park.
Then a distrubutor at inside, he needs to be a five eight who is a good runner aswell so i would make Giteau or McCalister.

one of two options

1. either a Crash Ball at 12 and a Speedster at 13

eg... 12. Tana Umaga/De Wet Barry/Ma'a Nonu/Mike Tindal/Jean De Villiers, 13. O'Driscoll/Jauzion

2. A distributor at 12 and a power/pace mixture at 13.

eg....12. Giteau/Mauger/Henson, 13. Mortlock/O'Driscoll

i'd go for a playmaker at 12 and all-rounder speedster/finisher at 13. At 12 that means someone who has experience at 10.

I'd go for Giteau and BOD. I don't think you definitely need a crash ball centre. As long as you've got a big player somewhere in the backline to call on when the situation needs it.

Inside: Greenwood (always wore 13 for luck). One of, if not THE best inside center in world rugby between 2001 and 2003. What he lacked in pace he more than made up for it with his pure rugby brain.

Outside: O'Driscoll. Enough said!

Imaging if Shaggy had been fit for the 2001 Lions Tests....

If it were to be from the current crop of players I'd go for:

12. Carter
13. Jauzion

Latest posts