• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup Pools

Sarries and Toulon again, urgh
At least the Turks are a bit easier than Munster, who we had last time

Irish provinces are crazy. Munster were worst performing last year. Ulster are a team again they have the players. The key is keeping them fit and getting momentum.

I do fear for Connacht in that they've lostbfew influential guys but Lam has built an amazing system where no player is bigger than team in terms of every role has a duty and more than 1 player can do that.

my official predictions for who makes the knockout round (only about 7 months in advance and without complete knowledge of transfers) are:
Racing 92
Leicester
Connacht
Saracens
Toulon
Leinster
Clermont
Exeter

Almost feels weird for Racing not to have Saints in the pool. A tough pool but I think we have the depth and finally the continuity and identity.

Sure there are a couple of older gents but we have quality young direct replacements even if not as experienced; Carter has Goosen, Roko has Thomas and Szar has Chat. We just need to find our mojo again in the scrum and we should be a good shout to make the playoffs at least.

Almost feels weird for Racing not to have Saints in the pool. A tough pool but I think we have the depth and finally the continuity and identity.

Sure there are a couple of older gents but we have quality young direct replacements even if not as experienced; Carter has Goosen, Roko has Thomas and Szar has Chat. We just need to find our mojo again in the scrum and we should be a good shout to make the playoffs at least.

if goosen and carter keep kicking as they do from the left and right respectively racing should be a dominant force

Toomua and JPP should really help our backline.

Pack will be interesting Ayerza i think getting a whole preseason off, Genge and Logo will add alot of power coming on.

On paper it our team looks good fully fit

1) Ayerza
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Barrow
5) Slater
6) Williams
7) O'connor
8) Hamilton
9) Youngs
10) Burns
11) JPP
12) Toomua
13) Manu
14) Betham
15) Veainu

16) McGuigan
17) Genge
18) Mulipola
19) Kitchener/Fitzgerald
20) McCaffrey
21) Harrison
22) Williams
23) Tait/Thompstone

For Munster if we can keep everyone fit and on form I think we've best back row options in pool.
Front row we are in trouble. LH the lads are experienced, 2 Scannell is young still and learning other 2 form varies, TH we have decent Pro12 level no more.
2nd row we need form and lads will be fine. I expect Dave O'Callaghan to play most his rugby here from now on too.
9. Murray has been poor for us but he knows we need better.
10. Again if we can keep the upward curve of youngsters going I think we will succeed here.
Centres. We were forming well toward end of season and Scannell was arguably 1 of best Pro12 guys from Ireland.
Back 3 we do have options serious options.

Key for me is though if Rassie and coaches get us playing well and to a plan suited to us it'll be major success I feel. Yes it's tough but we certainly will believe.

if goosen and carter keep kicking as they do from the left and right respectively racing should be a dominant force

I'm almost the most excited about Nakarawa being picked up. We could use a carrier like him in the back, we have enough workhorses. We were a tad thin at lock and in the centers but I see Anthony Tuitivaki has signed a two year deal. Not sure what sort of form him and Ali Williams are in but old ex-All Blacks have done well for us LOL. The squad is actually very deep if you consider Le Roux can cover lock and Goosen any position in the backline.

My choice line-up on paper:

1 Eddy Ben Arous
2 Dimitri Szarzewski
3 Ben Tameifuna
4 Leone Nakarawa
5 Francois van der Merwe
6 Bernard le Roux
7 Wenceslas Lauret
8 Chris Masoe
9 Maxime Machenaud
10 Dan Carter
11 Juan Imhoff
12 Henry Chavancy
13 Joe Rokocoko
14 Teddy Thomas
15 Brice Dulin

16 Camille Chat
17 Luc Ducalcon
18 Julien Brugnaut
19 Manuel Carizza
20 Yannick Nyanga
21 James Hart
22 Johan Goosen
23 Albert Vulivuli

The way Tuit finished the season for us he could become a permanent fixture at centre for Racing excellent player and i think he will do well at Racing for a couple of years also very good guy, one of the best. his tackling is dynamite, last 2 games concussions for Nonu Toulon and Otega Castres 2 massive hits by Anthony.

Pool 1
Racing 92
Leicester Tigers

Pool 2
Wasps
Connacht

Europe not a priority for Toulouse from what i know at the club, last season Mola picked his team more based on our next opponent in the league than the opposition in CCup and i think he will do same again this coming season.

Pool 3
Saracens
Toulon

Pool 4
Montpelier
Leinster

Pool 5
Exeter
Clermont or Ulster

question mark about Clermont's real apetite here after another trophyless season. They are the best team here, been the most consistent and play great rugby but they may focus on league and save their energy for the bigger prize.

Last edited:
The way Tuit finished the season for us he could become a permanent fixture at centre for Racing excellent player and i think he will do well at Racing for a couple of years also very good guy, one of the best. his tackling is dynamite, last 2 games concussions for Nonu Toulon and Otega Castres 2 massive hits by Anthony.

Certainly Tuitivake will bring something different to the table. Some 'robustness' in the backline beyond Chavancy's doggedness could prove useful. As is Goosen's defence in the 13 channel won't be intimidating any pro rugby player though TBF that's not what he is there for.

Pool 1
Racing 92
Leicester Tigers

Pool 2
Wasps
Connacht

Europe not a priority for Toulouse from what i know at the club, last season Mola picked his team more based on our next opponent in the league than the opposition in CCup and i think he will do same again this coming season.

Pool 3
Saracens
Toulon

Pool 4
Montpelier
Leinster

Pool 5
Exeter
Clermont or Ulster

question mark about Clermont's real apetite here after another trophyless season. They are the best team here, been the most consistent and play great rugby but they may focus on league and save their energy for the bigger prize.

I think Clermont certainly has the depth to go for it. Racing certainly focussed on both this season and showed that it could pay off. I mean, we didn't do a Toulon but 1 ***le and 2nd place is pretty good. Reach for the stars and land on the moon type of thing though I can certainly uderstad the reasoning behind nt fully committing to both also. I believe the idiom for that reasoning is sitting on two chairs you might end up falling between them or something to that effect.

i feel sorry for the scarlets, that group is horrendous

I think Clermont certainly has the depth to go for it. Racing certainly focussed on both this season and showed that it could pay off. I mean, we didn't do a Toulon but 1 ***le and 2nd place is pretty good. Reach for the stars and land on the moon type of thing though I can certainly uderstad the reasoning behind nt fully committing to both also. I believe the idiom for that reasoning is sitting on two chairs you might end up falling between them or something to that effect.

yes they have the depth, not quite Toulon or Racing's depth, but my point is do they have the hunger?

Their problem is they have played the best rugby all season, finished top of the pile again before the playoffs but have once again nothing to show for it. So they might just settle for one comp instead of chasing both and end up with naught again.
I'm not saying they'll field a mickey mouse side in CCup. They won't and neither did we last season. But they might just take it easy and use Europe to fine tune for the T14 and work out their best combos before important league games which is what Toulouse did last season and it paid off with our 1st place in December.

Booked my Limerick hotel.

At least it was book now pay when i arrive and can cancel for Nothing till 24 hours before.

Will be my first time visiting tigers second home.

@Groundhog what is Absolute like? and what pubs and clubs etc should i be looking for?
Fancy little hotel for you there Tigs eh? Well I'm fairly ignorant on Limerick City (have been 'clubbing' there once (Harry Potter mystery tour from college no big)) as I'm from Dublin, but if you ask those Munsterfans heads they'll steer you right. Everyone in Limerick knows each other, and they'll probably hold your hand. They're quite good about it. From what I know I'd avoid wandering too far out from the city center. Around Thomand isn't a nice place, but on gamedays it's fine. Sure get @munstermuffin to lead you about and maybe find out if his grammar is really that bad in real life.
I would actually love to head down for that game, but I'll most likely still be in Austria studying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh not going to Glasgow or Racing so can afford to spend a bit more on this.

Fortunately a 3:15 KO which i'm so happy about.

Latest posts