• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Charvis to oust Popham...

R

RC

Link

Ok, so the BBC are saying that Charvis is likely to replace Popham for this saturday's game against Australia.
Personally, i love Popham (like Gough) he's an absolute work horse - but the same can also be said for Charvis.
Are they using the experience? It's gonna be a huge battle against George Smith and Charvis is probably the only one in the Welsh squad that's had one over him in the past.

What do you guys think about this possibility?

Saw this on a post on the scrumV message boards from someone who seems to have inside knowlage (picked the correct team for last week a couple of days before the announcement, including the 5 former cpatains on the bench).

Personally I would keep Popham and get rid of Jonathan Thomas. Popham can be an absolute b*tch to scrum halves, exactly what we need imo, someone harracing Gregan.

Was surprised to hear this. I'd have Popham in there any day. He's consistently been a good performer for Wales.
Is Charvis playing 6 or 8?

To be honest, I'd have thought this backrow would provide a better balance:

6. Charvis
7. Williams
8. Popham

It gives you plenty of international experience, two powerful ball carriers, two flankers who excel around the ruck area, two decent extra lineout options and three excellent tacklers.

Not a big fan of Jonathan Thomas, certainly don't think he will bring as much to the game as Charvis or Popham on current form.

Right on Webby.

I was thinking the same thing...why leave out Popham for Charvis when they both can be used to maximum advantage...then bring on Thomas in the last 15mins.

Jonathan Thomas is the lineout 'captain' - he calls the lineouts, and is himself an excellent lineout jumper. I'd suggest his superior lineout work could be a major reason for his inclusion over Popham, given Wales problems at the lineout in recent times.

Think you have hit the nail on the head there darwin 23, the lineout seems to be much improved since his inclusion.

From what I understand it's going to be:

06 Charvis
07 Williams
08 Thomas

yeah charvis 6 and jt 8

i think the backrow battle is going to be huge, and very close,although palu at number 8 against jt is gunna be quite a worry for us :(

Yeah, Palu tore us apart last time when we played in Australia - i hope we keep a grip on him this time.

Problem with the first half we were using the wrong tactics. Whilst Stuart Barnes isn't popular he was right that if we simply tried to bash our way through we'd end up all in bruises. There's a clip they showed in slow motion which shows Charvis trying to break through Palu & Smith! One on one with Smith I wouldn't be too worried, but Palu also?! Charvis is a hefty player and by no means a lightweight.

I like what Eddie Butler suggested, start the game with more physical players, I.e Philllips working from the scrum; Popham charging forward.. Then as the game opens up we can use players like Peel & Owen to be more creative?