• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Churchill Cup

<div class='quotemain'>
usa sent a squad filled with college guys there if im not mistaken
[/b]

They had Chris Wyles on the wing, which is never a good sign in fairness.
[/b][/quote]

and mike hercus at flyhalf :lol:

After going to the match, I thought USA were well poor, but they had the basics down good. There handling was good, there ability to keep ball in hand in the first 20 mins was very impressive, I think possesion for first 20 mins was something like 90% USA 10% Saxons, however they just lacked the knowledge and skill gainned from playing in a competitive league. I did think that USA's flankers were good but the rest just lacked quality.

As I don't know the team system in USA I was trying to work out if these guys were playing full time and if so why haven't they looked for teams in say divison 1 of the English/French/Italian/etc....leagues as i'm sure the skills they could gain there would be better than playing in the USA at the moment, as only 2 of the players on USA played outside the USA.

Just about the fact that the BCC is being held in England instead of NA isn't really a question of "preparing for the world cup". It's actually a testament to the gross inefficiency that lies in Canada to market the game. I'm not sure about the USA, but the CEO of our national union is an apparent s*** head, and must have a number of his fellows in high places because he's not out yet for his gross inability to run just about everything. The BCC was actually losing money in NA, and the RFU took it to their hood to show em how it's done.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You say that, but he looked like he's got a lot of potential about him. He certainly has a good turn of pace.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You say that, but he looked like he's got a lot of potential about him. He certainly has a good turn of pace.
[/b][/quote]

So do i, but im not playing for the friggin eagles now am i?

The CEO of rugby Canada is a total pisshead is right. Although the national team has managed to acquire a few decent sponsorships as of late with Sony, Custom House, and Guinness now sponsoring our national team. lack of exposure is a huge problem in Canada and I think its really appalling that the world cup isn't being shown on free to air cable if I wanna watch I have to pay for setanta fawking gay. For a hardcore fan like myself I will fork out the cash most avg joes no freakin way!!!

One thing that is good though is the growth of rugby in high schools as it is quickly taking over as the sport of choice for youth instead of high school football as it is seen as a safer/cheaper alternative :)

I would think Rugby Sevens would be awesome for Canada, especially with a national championship, it'd be made for television.

despite your organizational problems you still have a better team than the USA however, we have had a really crap team throughout much of our history - plus players playing in Europe are a plus - i.e. Jamie Cudmore and Mike James in France

having said that USA rugby looks in much better shape at the moment with new management, they've finally learned how to send out a monthly newsletter and seem to be gathering new partnerships and sponsors - America also needs more exposure and fans however it'd be interesting to see how their partnership with ESPN develops who are listed as a broadcast partner

tomorrow's game for the Eagles will be interesting against Scotland A - especially since the Scots are using the tournament to test out World Cup hopefuls and as a main part of their preparation for France - good luck is all i can say

Scotland A 13 USA 9

both sides giving away plenty of penalties in the second half, very close contest, thought the USA forwards competed very well on the ground, Scotland was unable to find away through for much of the game

Went to see the Scotland A - USA match.

The US forwards munched their Scots counterparts in the scrum, were very powerful around the fringes in both attack and defense, and had solid tacklers out wide.

Unfortunately they have no real flair to speak of. The 9 playing today gave slower ball than Harry Ellis, which really didn't help them get moving. Paul Emerick was the standout back for them.

I'd like to see Northampton try and poach Scottish winger Tom Evans. The guy is rapidio to say the least. Stood up Chris Wyles and absolutely skinned him on the outside with not that much room to work with. Rory Lamont and Robbie Kydd (when he finally came on) also had decent games.

Phantom Percy (if you don't know the term, watch some Super 14 Plays of the Week) of the season from Rory Lawson. Charging for the corner, cover defense coming across - managed to throw the ball into touch for no apparent reason. Wonderful stuff.

its a shame Liam Messam had to go home. hes a deadset star in the making. good work from the Maori's though.

the nz maoris basically the new zealand c team, so whats gonna happen when canada play the a team??

the nz maoris basically the new zealand c team, so whats gonna happen when canada play the a team??
[/b]

Well not really the New Zealand C team because obviously only the Maoris are picked in this team and there are more other great talents in such a multi-cultural country.

The 'a team' is aka the Junior All Blacks. Does Canada even have a chance of playing them? Or did you mean when they play the All Blacks?...well that would be a rhetorical question.

England Saxons 18 Scotland A 3

conditions at Twickenham not the best, pretty much a forward battle throughout, England seemed to have most of the territory and in the end capitalized - i thought Dowson played really well at eight and Abendanon also made some good runs...on to the final

I agree with DC about playing this game in the Americas. It would be a great chance to develop this game in America or Canada by putting the Churchill Cup here. I also want it here so that it is easier for me to watch the game live. I'm not going to fly to England to watch one game, but I will fly to Utah to watch it. By doing this we make the game easier to access for the people, which encourages participation, thus expanding the popularity of the game.

And to what Prestwich said... Why would they prepare in England for the World Cup in France? What point are you trying to make??? They are two seperate countries. Are you saying that if America prepares in England it will be better prepared to play in the World Cup??? And why does it matter where a countries team prepares??? As long as you got a piece of land that has grass and two goal posts you can practice.