• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Churchill Cup

The Irish team for this was a joke, outside of the back row, you could easily count the number of recognised players on one hand!!

The Irish team for this was a joke, outside of the back row, you could easily count the number of recognised players on one hand!!
[/b]
Leaving 15 players out of the squad for Argentina was always going to have a knock on effect for the Churchill Cup side but there are a lot of benefits to be taken from the tour.

Both Darren Cave and Keith Earls look as though they have the potential to break into their provincial teams this year. Sexton had some much needed game time at 10 -- he'll probably start for Leinster while Contepomi is at the World Cup. Mike Ross showed up well at tighthead, a problem position for Ireland. Ryan Caldwell displayed promise for the future and could see significant action for Ulster next season. The backrow were excellent and add further to Ireland's depth in that area. The 2007 Churchill Cup may turn out to be a vital moment in the development of some of these guys careers.

Add to that players as talented as Danny Riordan, Cian Healy, Darragh Hurley, Sean O'Brien, David Pollack and Cillian Willis who didn't make the A squad for various reasons and there is a lot to be excited about.

True I guess. You could also add in ian humphreys to your list at the bottom. I just thought that surely there was some more well known players that they could've picked

congrats to the saxons. the Maoris did well.... but the saxons were too good. theres alot of promising young guys coming through for the saxons. good to see...

it's great the maori's & junior all blacks are involved in these tournaments. it gives alot of our 2nd and 3rd tier players some great exposure and also gives the minnow nations some better competition.
i can't wait to have my telstra hooked up this thursday so i can watch all the games this weekend!!!