• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Clerc out for 6 months...

S

Sir Speedy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7356944.stm

"France wing Vincent Clerc is expected to be out for up to six months after rupturing ligaments in his left knee.

Clerc collapsed without being touched during Toulouse's defeat to Clermont on Saturday, with TV replays showing his knee moving out of its socket.
"

Damnit, and he was in superb form! I can't believe the Toulouse coach put out his best team knowing that the Heineken Cup was a week away. :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :wah:

I would have thought that the Top 14 is more important for Toulouse than the Heineken Cup, it's 7 years since they won it, they've won the HEC twice, so I'd imagine their priorities lie elsewhere.

I would have thought that the Top 14 is more important for Toulouse than the Heineken Cup, it's 7 years since they won it, they've won the HEC twice, so I'd imagine their priorities lie elsewhere. [/b]

Well it depends on:
  1. Where they are in the TOP14
  2. How many games are left to play in the TOP14
  3. Is there a real desire amongst fans and upper management at Tolouse for a third HEC?

Damnit, and he was in superb form! I can't believe the Toulouse coach put out his best team knowing that the Heineken Cup was a week away. :%#%#: :%#%#: :%#%#: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :wah:
[/b]

The most stupid thing is how the European/French calendar has been organised. All HCup rendez-vous for the french teams have been predated the week before by also big rendez between TOP14 leaders.
Calendar already very charged this years for the clubs with international players (with RWC07 and 6N08). Don't forget that Toulouse is still the first feeder club for XV de France (With an permanent average of 6/8 players)

By this, it was then psychologically very important for Toulouse to win this match at home, facing the most dangerous and direct opponent for the Brennus this year.
Guy Noves was then after the match a bit sarcastic about Clermont wich came with the A team, putting a lot of pressure on this match and without any consideration for Toulouse as last French representation in the Hcup.

Guy Noves was then after the match a bit sarcastic about Clermont wich came with the A team, putting a lot of pressure on this match and without any consideration for Toulouse as last French representation in the Hcup.
[/b]
Yep, how childish of Clermont coming to Toulouse with the intention of winning. Selfish gits.

:lol:

Don't deceive yourself, Guy Noves is everything but a child complainning after a teenagers fight in the playground.
He did not renounce to this match, by presenting a younger team and preserving the stars for not only next week but all the end of the season. His big mistake, but you can't charge him for, was to still run after Hcup and TOP14.
I thing loosing versus Clermont at home, so closely from the final phases, was for him too dangerous for the team mental, and despite beeing completely conscious of the risks of potential injuries for his trump players, took the risk.

Shame to happen to the guy when he is really hitting form. London Irish must be happy, but i still think Toulouse have enough class in their armoury.

I also think that Toulouse is in position next week, retighting themselves, as every strong team is able after a hard blow.

No, my worries are more about the "long term", I mean the final phase for TOP14 and the Hcup final. I can't wait to know what's going to be the orientation of Guy Noves, and mainly if he is going to do what he has always refused until now, focusing on one of the 2 competitions (10£ on the Brennus).
So I think Toulouse will go to London minded that they'll make on their own, and let the final happen as it can be on one day. For the TOP 14, before they meet Clermont in final, I'm afraid they should fall versus Paris or Perpignan, or even worse one of theses Biarritz triggy closed game.

Don't deceive yourself, Guy Noves is everything but a child complainning after a teenagers fight in the playground.
He did not renounce to this match, by presenting a younger team and preserving the stars for not only next week but all the end of the season. His big mistake, but you can't charge him for, was to still run after Hcup and TOP14.
I thing loosing versus Clermont at home, so closely from the final phases, was for him too dangerous for the team mental, and despite beeing completely conscious of the risks of potential injuries for his trump players, took the risk.
[/b]

Well last year Clermont played Toulouse at Toulouse quite late in the season. They lost round and square. This didn't prevent them to win the SF afterwards.

Toulouse as many other teams play with their best players the week before the H-cup match like many other teams. Coaches don't like to rest their players the week before. They do it earlier as it happened with the match played in Paris which was two weekd before the H-cup QF versus Cardiff.

I agree Don, Toulouse was not the only french team playing in Hcup (or even European Challenge) who have been faced to play big rendez vous the or the 2 week before, I precisely say it is completely stupid.

First it is not constructive for the team mental, as the result of the previous match can easily not reasssure the team self confidence.

As you say, coaches will make play the strong players, as they don't like to give them rest and unpractise so close such a decisive match. But here are the problems of injuries increasing dangerously as bodies don't have the time to recover.
Would you imagine any championship final phase condensated in 3 consecutive week ends. By then we would land in a World Cup conditions, but all year long...