• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Clermont unbeaten home winning streak approaches 50

So this Saturday it could be Clermont's 50th win in a row, playing against leaders Toulon.
Clermont will be missing: Domingo, Debaty, Zirakashvili, Kayser, Bardy, Chouly, Lapandry, Kolelishvili, Parra and Fofana to international duty, plus an injury list that I'm too lazy to find but that includes important players.
Toulon will be missing: Kubriashvili, Jenkins, Suta, Fernandez Lobbe, Michalak and Mermoz.

I really think that ASM's record is in danger... Toulou could field this team:
Armitage D., Martin, Bastareaud, Giteau, Smith, Wilkinson, Tillous-Borde, Masoe, Armitage S., Gunther, Shaw, Botha, Hayman, Bruno, Sheridan, which is close to first choice, if not first choice entirely.
Clermont's strongest outfit could be:
Byrne, Sivivatu, Rougerie, Stanley, Nalaga, James, Radosavlevic, Vermeulen, Bonnaire, Hines, Cudmore, Pierre, Kotze, Paulo, Chaume. Not too bad, but the scrum could suffer (especially Chaume against Hayman), and given the difficulties Clermont have been having this season, the missing players could be too important.

How is Carl Hayman doing at Toulon? Had a hard time when he first joined, improved much?

Yes, much improved. His suspension was the main reason Toulon lost last year's final, according to the coaching team and to the club president. Given how many points they gave away due to penalties on the TH side of the scrum, you have to admit they may be right.

So this Saturday it could be Clermont's 50th win in a row, playing against leaders Toulon.
Clermont will be missing: Domingo, Debaty, Zirakashvili, Kayser, Bardy, Chouly, Lapandry, Kolelishvili, Parra and Fofana to international duty, plus an injury list that I'm too lazy to find but that includes important players.
Toulon will be missing: Kubriashvili, Jenkins, Suta, Fernandez Lobbe, Michalak and Mermoz.

I really think that ASM's record is in danger... Toulou could field this team:
Armitage D., Martin, Bastareaud, Giteau, Smith, Wilkinson, Tillous-Borde, Masoe, Armitage S., Gunther, Shaw, Botha, Hayman, Bruno, Sheridan, which is close to first choice, if not first choice entirely.
Clermont's strongest outfit could be:
Byrne, Sivivatu, Rougerie, Stanley, Nalaga, James, Radosavlevic, Vermeulen, Bonnaire, Hines, Cudmore, Pierre, Kotze, Paulo, Chaume. Not too bad, but the scrum could suffer (especially Chaume against Hayman), and given the difficulties Clermont have been having this season, the missing players could be too important.

All the Georgian players will still be available to their clubs in the Top 14 this weekend. So Zirakashvili will be playing ahead of Kotze.

This will be a huge match, with Toulon only having lost once thus far this season, and Clermont aiming to reach 50 home wins consecutively. A lot will depend on how Toulon approach the match, if they play a side like they did against Toulouse they will lose.

Clermont's side is still pretty good, but they suffer from having lots of French players in their side and have lost 7 to the France squad. Whilst Toulon have largely brought a squad with the purpose of making sure it is not too effected by international rugby, with much fewer French internationals and many former internationals who won't play for the national team again like Sheridan, Hayman, Botha, Armitage, Masoe, Giteau etc.

It's a bit of a shame this match is during the internationals to be honest. As Clermont are basically penalised for having a great academy which produces French internationals, whilst Toulon are rewarded for signing foreigners past their international career.

Thanks Duck. I just saw that Bardy is available too, whereas Hines is suspended. So it should be a backrow of Vermeulen, Bonnaire and Bardy.

It's a bit of a shame this match is during the internationals to be honest. As Clermont are basically penalised for having a great academy which produces French internationals, whilst Toulon are rewarded for signing foreigners past their international career.

I agree but would say that the Toulon number one team would probably deprive ASM strongest team of their proud record and the way ASM have played (particulary against BO), the suggested Toulon team are well capable of winning.....Afraid, I have to go with Toulon but will be watching with great interest! I wish you well......................

I agree but would say that the Toulon number one team would probably deprive ASM strongest team of their proud record and the way ASM have played (particulary against BO), the suggested Toulon team are well capable of winning.....Afraid, I have to go with Toulon but will be watching with great interest! I wish you well......................

I think I agree that Toulon will end the winning streak after 49 matches.

However it is a big call to say the Clermont side with their 7 French internationals would probably lose at home. After all we saw it last season and it was a very tense match with Toulon leading until about 60 minutes until Clermont just about managed to wrestle control back and win.

One thing for sure though is that this will likely be a very tense very close match which could go either way.

Clermont to do 50 on the trot you have all forgotten the 16th man the 18,000 Clermont supporters behind their men, the atmosphere in this Stadium is fantastic and even with a slightly weakened side they will still come out winners i think, but stranger things have happened!!!! Once agin well done LNR. for organising a game like this at the start of the Autumn Internationals, We Montpellier are at Toulouse which is not any better you have the Top 4 playing each other, when the dates of the Internationals were set well before the TOP 14 Calender, 10 out of 10 for foresight, bunch of Muppets.

Clermont to do 50 on the trot you have all forgotten the 16th man the 18,000 Clermont supporters behind their men, the atmosphere in this Stadium is fantastic and even with a slightly weakened side they will still come out winners i think, but stranger things have happened!!!! Once agin well done LNR. for organising a game like this at the start of the Autumn Internationals, We Montpellier are at Toulouse which is not any better you have the Top 4 playing each other, when the dates of the Internationals were set well before the TOP 14 Calender, 10 out of 10 for foresight, bunch of Muppets.

You were right! I did not see the match but the write up said the ambiance was amazing at the stade. Good for Clermont!

An amazing game with a finish you could never see in the best movies going, the script writer did a great job and the Ref was nearly as good. Well played ASM and on to no.51

Clermont's home winning streak is now up to 52 after wins over Leinster and a 48-3 thrashing of Bayonne on the weekend.

There are 7 home matches remaining this season for them, and they look likely to win them all having now come through their toughest encounters with Toulon (#50) and Leinster (#51). Mont-de-Marsan, Agen, Bordeaux-Bègles are the three lowest sides in the Top 14 currently, wins over them look certain, barring complacency Clermont should also beat Montpellier, Exeter, Castres and Toulouse as well.

#53 - Montpellier
#54 - Exeter
#55 - Mont-de-Marsan
#56 - Castres
#57 - Agen
#58 - Toulouse
#59 - Bordeaux-Bègles

Clermont have already equalled Leicester's home winning streak which was set between 1997-2002, and Stade Français' home winning streak which was in the mid 50's somewhere also looks likely to be surpassed.

Stade Francais record is 59 unbeaten at home under our coach Fabien Galthie, who i am sure wants to keep his record intact so Montpellier will be going all out next week to beat Clermont at Stade Marcel Michelin next Sat. ko.15.00. As they always say records are made to be broken but breaking that record is still a big ask even for Clermont.

Latest posts