Club subscriptions or memberships

fifesouthern

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Hi folks .......... first post !!!

Having started playing rugby again last season after a good few years out the game my friends coaxed me into joining a small club which were struggling both with participation and finances the club are
are in a lot better position than where we started but were looking to bring a new membership set up as rhey are currently were low and unstructured any help and details about how othere clubs do it would be appreciated

Many thanks Andy

i can try to help if you could explain a little bit more in what your wanting help with

Hi scotty thanks for your help !!! Sorry been slow to reply was training hard WELL hard-ish

The way it runs at the club just now is you pay £50 at the start or the season as a membership fee which covers your insurance and gets you a polo shirt then you pay £5 "subs" per game you play

What the players are looking for now is to pay more ( possibly direct debit) and would like kit since I'm very new to this ( only sold my soul to the committee last week ! ) Without being rude the committee is slightly stuck in its ways so was wondering how other clubs do it ?

We do have good numbers when I first joined we struggled to field a side and played many games with 13 or 14 players but now have 50 players on the books !!!!

Thanks for any help Andy

oh wait i wasnt actually wanting to join as a member sorry if i got your hopes up, i was just wondering what was the main problem with the team atm and seeing if there is anything i can do to like give advices or tips if i can, might be something i do near future but atm no sorry

Aww no I was recruiting lol was just giving you a idea of player numbers

What the players are looking for now is to pay more ( possibly direct debit) and would like kit since I'm very new to this ( only sold my soul to the committee last week ! ) Without being rude the committee is slightly stuck in its ways so was wondering how other clubs do it ?

No idea on the ins and outs/behind the scenes of running a club, but the way we do it at my club:
Direct debit set up to the club from all players, this covers insurance and match subs - from that you get a shirt (as in dress/button up shirt for post-game etc.). Last season everyone got a free pair of socks and halfprice pair of shorts as well, but that's because we'd changed supplier and they were trying to sweeten the deal so gave us a load of stash.

My clubs a pretty small one, though, so not sure how it's done elsewhere.

We are based in rosyth at harley street

Thanks for the reply Try_olyy we're not a large club but were on the up beginning to think direct debit is the best way too go

Last edited by a moderator:
mm im not sure if the number off players is a problem but with howe of fife going around i can understand why numbers are low, but with finance i actually dont remember my team paying £50 to get into the team, but you should have a look at some off goodnumber10 thread 'Analysis' he posts good videos about teams tactics and how they score tries and how they create a break in the opponents defensive line, so may i ask yet again what is the team weakness atm and what is the problem with the team atm. ?

To be honest scotty we've got two really good coaches and a great strength and conditioning coach and are playing good rugby since ots going well on field we need to get the club running better

Yeah basically ! Getting more money in and more kit/training kit for players and staff as players we feel what we pay is very low in comparison to kirkcaldy dunfermline and grangemouth to name a few

mm, yeah um i aint no expert in business or money in a team but what i do know which some people do is they go to the closes store and start help with baggage etc. and raise money there is what i would do first, when im setting up a team if i have players off course

Hi folks .......... first post !!!

Having started playing rugby again last season after a good few years out the game my friends coaxed me into joining a small club which were struggling both with participation and finances the club are
are in a lot better position than where we started but were looking to bring a new membership set up as rhey are currently were low and unstructured any help and details about how othere clubs do it would be appreciated

Many thanks Andy

Hi mate, I could offer some advice (useful or not). I've just finished a stint as a committee member at my old rugby club, been a committee member and coach for the university side and coached at various levels. So I can give you some ideas.

Off the pitch you really need to ensure that you have a committee that is responsible for a few things. Most important is getting a club secretary. This can either be a current player but ideally a reliable old head who has a rugby brain. This person is responsible for communication with officials on match days, league officials and general correspondence. This person in what I see is extremely important. You will also need to look at adding a Treasurer, again can be a player but ideally another old head who knows a few things about handling money. All subs, fees, bills etc need to be paid and record so getting someone to do this is vitally important. Then of course there is the club chairman, someone who can run the show and help manage things. Can co-ordinate with the secretary and treasurer and acts as someone who can problem solve issues that arise.

I agree with Olyy in terms off how to collect money. Not seen it done in my club but I think its a very worthwhile thing to do. Collect fees via online bank transfers but of course some would like to pay in cash and that should also be fine. I have been lucky we normally paid £40 for the season and each year we would get some stash with it. So playing shorts, socks and off field shirt or a kit bag. But that all comes with sponsorship also.

On the field, you need to ensure you have someone who can coach and has a bit of brain about them. It can be a player or a person who has finished playing. Having a coach will help. Add to that a team manager. Someone who can be a point of contact for the players and also a person who can liaise with the captain to communicate with selection. This eases the burden of the captain with off the field things.

Getting people to play is always a tough thing. If you get a chance have a look at the tv series of School of Hard Knocks with Scott Quinnell and Will Greenwood. These guys get people who have never played rugby before and get them interested in playing. Some suggestions I have is holding open sessions for people to come in and join in. Have a fun day which encourages people to come down and participate in rugby activities. Doing this is hardwork but you do find people will join in. Make the club viewable to people, so Twitter, Facebook and even posters and adverts around town, in the local supermarket etc. All of this will get the club noticed and people interested.

From this then it maybe a bit early in the club history to do this but having a junior section is something that would reap the benefits to the club. It takes a lot of work and organisation but in years to come a strong junior section will help the club develop its own players. Getting a youth / colts section will also help develop players for first team too. Getting into the local schools, clubs etc again will help encourage new players. Sometimes you will find that a parent who has a kid might join and play for the club or help out with off the field stuff. Always worthwhile looking at a junior / youth / colt section.

Hope that helped and given some ideas.

Latest posts