• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Computer AI

J

jimmy44

Looking at the Gameplay video the AI looks terrible! So easy to run through gaps! Can any who has played it give a little run down of what the AI is like on medium and hard difficulty?

The preview also mentions problems on higher AI of the player always loosing the ruck. Does this ahppen alot?

Any comments woulkd be great!

Cheers

J

IMO this is the most important question. This will make or break the game.

About the losing the ball all the time thing, the same thing happened in 05, if you made a break you got turned over, and it was real hard to play if you were being a **** team. This is not ideal, but the game was still playable, you just had to be very tactical and kick out of your own half etc.

If possible, could someone that's played it on a competitive difficulty say how they conceded their last 3-5 tries?

I'd find that interesting.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 29 2006, 11:47 AM
IMO this is the most important question. This will make or break the game.

About the losing the ball all the time thing, the same thing happened in 05, if you made a break you got turned over, and it was real hard to play if you were being a **** team. This is not ideal, but the game was still playable, you just had to be very tactical and kick out of your own half etc.
kaftka and co will 'bah humbug' me probably...

but I can honestly say there were MANY ways around this...no not editing etc...that's by the by.....there were techniques, ways of landing and of gaining momentum also for that matter which curbed this and allowed multiple ruck wins with even average teams...

horrible teams will always lose rucks etc....it is realistic...SA beat uruguay by 150 points or something....thast's the gap between the weak and the strong in world rugby.

For instance one should have no problem winning 50/50 rucks PLUS (that's way low...maybe up to 65-70% of rucks) with scortland. ireland etc....I go pretty sweet with say Fiji too...HOWEVER - that is with all the tricks being used..

I get thge feeling most people just never played this game enough....thus rugby 06 will just get better in time for me too (fingers crossed).
<

no doubt they should have had the option to pop a ball left or right as it seems RC has done.....I see this as the ONLY thing RC has over rugby06

thungs like:

SH licenses and likenesses
player editor
jump
jump
jump
no speed bar

et al....

these are things I REQUIRE for a rugby game and I fear RC won't..check...I know now that RC won't provide them.
Don't get me wrong...people may like the game in some cases/ages etc...but for me it doesn't cut it...pity they aren't doing a sequel again and upping the ante (but I fear the speed bar repeat exhibits a certain something that might hold them back though)....but rugby 06 and an 07 will cover bases it seems.

of course, I do want an answer to the question too.......but is really a thread already covering this in triumvirate form:

- pop ball
- ai
- editing screen

some answers have been provided there...hopefully more will be added.

though good to cover bases I....guess...
<

Bah humbug
<

...And you require SH licenses?

...Or was that a mistake?

Oh, and fair points, but the thing with RC2006 is that there is absolutely no over promising... You are told straightforward exactly what you're getting, and thats an arcade game based solely on "fun factor".
Which is why I am getting both. RC first (after an overnight hire), then a couple of weeks later the more simulated Rugby06 (after an overnight hire).

There are omissions from RC that are in Rugby 06, but remember that you did enjoy rugby05 for an extensive period of time... That had no offloads at all. Offloads are more important than jumping imo.

I'm doing my best not to defend RC2006 as if it were my son here (19, studying law....Single), but aren't games designed to be fun first and foremost?

The reason I'm saying **** like this is because you come across as all "this games better than that one so there. I can't believe they f***ed this up so bad..." when in fact you have played neither, and have just their prequels (both not very good. WCR more fun initially, but Rugy 2005 had more lastability) to go by...

So, in conclusion (and I know you're going to rent RC), whenyou play RC just remember that it's designed to be a fun representation of the sport, not necessarily a realistic one. One that you can have a good bash at...

Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming@Jan 29 2006, 08:22 PM
of course, I do want an answer to the question too.......but is really a thread already covering this in triumvirate form:

- pop ball
- ai
- editing screen

some answers have been provided there...hopefully more will be added.

though good to cover bases I....guess...
<
I wouldn't say answered - I want to know how the AI behaves. e.g.

What is its tactical kicking like? (aweful in 2005)
Does it actually play the ball in free play or ONLY perform set play moves like in rugby 2005
does it use side step, fend charge often?
Do different teams 'behave' differently depending on their strengths
Does it know when there is an overlap and exploit it, or see the gaps?
Does it give away penalties often?

etc etc

<

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 29 2006, 09:48 PM
Bah humbug
<

...And you require SH licenses?

...Or was that a mistake?

Oh, and fair points, but the thing with RC2006 is that there is absolutely no over promising... You are told straightforward exactly what you're getting, and thats an arcade game based solely on "fun factor".
Which is why I am getting both. RC first (after an overnight hire), then a couple of weeks later the more simulated Rugby06 (after an overnight hire).

There are omissions from RC that are in Rugby 06, but remember that you did enjoy rugby05 for an extensive period of time... That had no offloads at all. Offloads are more important than jumping imo.

I'm doing my best not to defend RC2006 as if it were my son here (19, studying law....Single), but aren't games designed to be fun first and foremost?

The reason I'm saying **** like this is because you come across as all "this games better than that one so there. I can't believe they f***ed this up so bad..." when in fact you have played neither, and have just their prequels (both not very good. WCR more fun initially, but Rugy 2005 had more lastability) to go by...

So, in conclusion (and I know you're going to rent RC), whenyou play RC just remember that it's designed to be a fun representation of the sport, not necessarily a realistic one. One that you can have a good bash at...
i think the 'it's an arcade game guyz - get stuck in' is more likely a lame marketing tool that reeks a little of deperation.

I might not have played either, but I have been right before. Proof will be in the pudding soon enough.

The irony of the 'FUN' argument is this:

how is a game that doesn't have the basic nuances of the sport of rugby supposed to be fun? you can't jump, increasingly the pop balls are being described as ineffective and you slow down after sprinting 20 metres.....how, ON EARTH, is that fun? Plenty of people, who say they wanted an arcade game version, are saying it is NOT fun.

Have you played either game, that you should be defending it? (regardless of whether you say who you are not...you are).

jumping is a big part of numerous rugby situations....it exhibits timing and involves suspense - IT IS FUN
sprinting and lining up the fullback and burning him etc is part of rugby - and IT IS FUN

In fact, when I think of good , fun rugby games in life and on the console/pc, I think of big sprinting runs and the intricate competition of jumping at kick-offs, chips, bomb attacks etc.......remember that rugby 06 allows both....THAT seems like more FUN to me.

freedom is fun - freedom to rin and jumop and play ball. Aparently the basics of human activity that include RUNNING and JUMPING are not possible.

FUN!? NO WAY HOSE!! Why do I need to play a game with sopeed bar and no jump to know that it has it. this is confirmed. No argument. No fun.

Oh and of course I meant I REQUIRE SH licenses....I didn't mean it your paranoid 'oh what is lover doing now' world....I meant that If I am to buy a rugby game - it will have SH licenses or it will remain on the shelf. It apparently doesn't even have likenesses like PES etc....that is sad. As the consumer, I choose what I buy and sopend my money on and what I REQUIRE as satisfactory to part with my money. What about this are you whinging about? it's getting a little tired isn't it?

Los,

I can make you a player editor for the PC version of RC. I bet my house on it. I don't have a house, but if I did.....

I did it for BLIC so I presume there will be a similar format.

Also, S12/14 kits can be made, faces can be changed I would imagine, and I expect that with some clever editing, the player's stamina can be increased to eradicate (that means to get rid of, Los, in case you didn't understand) the problem of the speed bar.

As for jumping, who really cares anyway.

Sounds *****in dude - go nuts. Although i probably wont be getting the PC version, i would be interested to see what you can come up with, with editing.

you're very keen on all this "jumping" malarky los lover...

I know a short pier if you fancy showing us a long version of the jump
<

but really all this huffing and puffing about jumping and running is getting tired...

so some people are looking forward to this RC2006, despite its flaws & omissions - why do you feel the need to enlighten everyone as to why it is so bad? (despite it still receiving favourable reviews - not just bad ones - from guys playing it)

I remem this was a thread about EA's R06...

Los,

there is a thing called edit post, no wonder you had such a high post with so many double posts running around (i wonder how many tripple or more posts there are)

anyway i hope that if there is a gap in the middle of the backs like 05 i hope every now and then there is cover from like a flanker or something just to shut that gap at a good time. something like that

but the gap in 05 wasn't that easy to penetrate (well not at the start) so it might just make people go for it and fall over, who knows until the game comes out

well i havent watched the video

but here's my assumption with AI

easy - slow moving, slow responding, not man on man defense, and never win rucks
normal - moves same speed as user, same reponse as user, defends man on man, and wins the odd ruck only when user late to select a set-play in time
hard - moves quciker, responds better, defends like a wall, and never loses a ruck, unless isolated from a 60m break and ONLY in REDZONE.

HB have never got the AI to world standard

<
<
<
<

Originally posted by ak47@Jan 31 2006, 12:23 PM

easy - slow moving, slow responding, not man on man defense, and never win rucks
normal - moves same speed as user, same reponse as user, defends man on man, and wins the odd ruck only when user late to select a set-play in time
hard - moves quciker, responds better, defends like a wall, and never loses a ruck, unless isolated from a 60m break and ONLY in REDZONE.

<
<
<
<
Thats my concern as well........

Normal is made too easy and hard just makes the game frustrating (ie. boring) due to inability to win many (if any) rucks.

how do you know what the ai will be like on all the different settings by just watching the video

dont assume anything - you seem very negative towards this game.

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 31 2006, 12:28 PM
how do you know what the ai will be like on all the different settings by just watching the video

dont assume anything - you seem very negative towards this game.
Like myself, Ak47 has been "stung" one too many times by EA before..........

If HB can get all of these new features working well, I will be pleased. They have had quite a short amount of time (It's finished isn't it?) on this, so all of these exciting features (offloads, ball physics, impact players, tactics, set plays etc...) working well will definitely tide me over until the release the perfect AI in Rugby 07.

...Although, now that competition is deceased, they will probably only release roster updates...If they could be bothered.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 31 2006, 02:49 PM
...Although, now that competition is deceased,
this will result in a mirror image of the EAcricket project

no competition means a rosters update
new generation of consoles means a distractiing agenda at HB

forget HB

the half baked HOBOS, are buzzing around like FAGS in prison on mardi gra night

I just wished any of the 3 commercial jetliners that crashed off novascotia a few years back, just fell onto the HIVE, and save us all

HB prolly couldnt even get this emoticon animation right
<

Actually that looks like bernie larkham from rugby 2004

HB > HELL

<

Originally posted by ak47@Jan 31 2006, 01:23 PM

<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

you spin me right round baby right round like a record spinning right round baby right round like a record spinning.......

<

oh and bugger off woosah...my posts aren't repeated....and they are a hell sight more informative than your two line wonders thanks very much.

Latest posts