• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Connacht v Leinster

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

Connacht squad: L Bibo, A Browne, F Carr, S Cronin, A Flavin, J Hagan, I Keatley, R Loughney, K Matthews, M McCarthy, M McComish, R Morris, F Murphy, J Muldoon, T Nathan, G Naoupu, M Nikora, R Ofisa, J O’Connor, C O’Loughlin, M Swift, N Ta’auso, B Tuohy, B Upton, A Wynne.

Leinster squad: Leo Cullen, Nathan Hines, Trevor Hogan, Bernard Jackman, Stephen Keogh, Ronan McCormack, Jack McGrath, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien, Malcolm O'Kelly, Mike Ross, Paul Ryan, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner, Stan Wright, Shaun Berne, Gordon D'Arcy, Girvan Dempsey, Shane Horgan, David Kearney, Simon Keogh, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Paul O'Donohoe, Eoin Reddan

Leinster have rested Brian O'Driscoll, Rob Kearney, Jamie Heaslip and Cian Healy, miss Shane Jennings through <strike>stupidity</strike> suspension and Jonny Sexton, Luke Fitzgerald and CJ van der Linde through injury. Despite that, it's a strong squad.

Presumably Paul Ryan is in the squad because Rhys Ruddock and Dominic Ryan are involved with the Ireland u20s for their game against the Ulster Ravens on Sunday. I'd like to think Ryan will take this opportunity to make an impact off the bench. Likewise, hopefully Ian Madigan will get a chance to shine off the bench at either 10 or 15, coming into a squad which is infinitely more experienced than that which played the Dragons.

Given Brett Wilkinson's absence, Connacht's scrum will likely wobble. It might be a good chance to get Jack McGrath a few minutes off the bench - he offers far more than Ronan McCormack when it comes to the future of Leinster rugby.

With any luck we'll see a fairly strong Connacht team fielded and they can be competitive in this one as opposed to last week's embarassment. From a Leinster point of view I'd like to see Madigan, McFadden and O'Donohoe all get at least a half. Oh, and a win obviously. The team I'd hope to see:

15 Dempsey
14 Kearney
13 McFadden
12 D'Arcy
11 Nacewa(replaced by Horgan)
10 Berne (replaced by Madigan)
9 Reddan (replaced by O'Donohoe)
8 Keogh
7 O'Brien
6 McLaughlin
5 Toner
4 Hines
3 Wright
2 Strauss
1 Ross

Leinster by 12.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 31 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With any luck we'll see a fairly strong Connacht team fielded and they can be competitive in this one as opposed to last week's embarassment. From a Leinster point of view I'd like to see Madigan, McFadden and O'Donohoe all get at least a half. Oh, and a win obviously. The team I'd hope to see:

15 Dempsey
14 Kearney
13 McFadden
12 D'Arcy
11 Nacewa(replaced by Horgan)
10 Berne (replaced by Madigan)
9 Reddan (replaced by O'Donohoe)
8 Keogh
7 O'Brien
6 McLaughlin
5 Toner
4 Hines
3 Wright
2 Strauss
1 Ross

Leinster by 12.[/b]
I think the team will shape up very similarly to the one you're posted. Switch the props, Jackman starting instead of Strauss (who isn't registered for the Heineken Cup) and Horgan instead of Kearney is how I think the team will be selected. I'd like to see the following:

15. Nacewa (since he's the backup fullback in case rKearney is injured. Love Girv but he's not good enough any more)
14. Horgan (give him his rest - and dKearney another start - next week)
13. McFadden (goalkicker)
12. D'arcy (60 minutes then Berne shifts across)
11. Kearney (give youth a chance)
10. Berne (shifts to 12 after 60 minutes, allowing Nacewa or Madigan take the 10 shirt)
9. Reddan (no more than 50 minutes)
1. Wright (has he played there yet this season? Bring on McGrath with 10 minutes to go)
2. Jackman (haul him off if the lineout falters)
3. Ross (could pulverize the Connacht scrum)
4. Cullen (keep on the field until the win is secured)
5. Hines (as good a signing as Dr Phil or Rocky were?)
6. McLaughlin (50 minutes, then Paul Ryan)
7. O'Brien (80 minutes. With Jennings back next week, he gets his rest against Glasgow)
8. Keogh (moves to 6 when Ryan comes on with O'Brien taking the 8 position)

Teams:

CONNACHT:
T Nathan; L Bibo, N Ta'auso, K Matthews, F Carr; I Keatley, F Murphy; R Loughney, S Cronin, R Morris; M McCarthy, B Upton, J Muldoon CAPTAIN, R Ofisa, G Naoupu

REPLACEMENTS: A Flavin, J Hagan, M Swift, A Browne, C O'Loughlin, M Nikora, A Wynne

LEINSTER: G Dempsey, S Horgan, F McFadden, G D'arcy, S Berne, E Reddan; S Wright, B Jackman, M Ross, L Cullen CAPTAIN, T Hogan, N Hines, S O'Brien, St Keogh

REPLACEMENTS FROM: R Strauss, R McCormack, D Toner, K McLaughlin, P Ryan, P O'Donohoe, Si Keogh, D Kearney

I know Duffy isn't a world beater, but Troy Nathan at fullback?!?! When Leinster have fullbacks coming out their ears that is inexcusable, Leinster to win because of that and that only. I presume is Nacewa is #11?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 1 2010, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know Duffy isn't a world beater, but Troy Nathan at fullback?!?! When Leinster have fullbacks coming out their ears that is inexcusable, Leinster to win because of that and that only. I presume is Nacewa is #11?[/b]
Nacewa is at 11.

Troy Nathan truly is an awful rugby player; he has a big boot and nothing else. Why can't Fionn Carr play at 15 when Duffy is unavailable? Surely Carr at fullback and Tiernan O'Halloran on the wing is a better option than that which Michael Bradley has selected. Hell, I'd play 15 for them for no money and wouldn't do any worse than Nathan. Players like him are an indictment to Connacht's recruitment strategy. What have he, Brian Tuohy, Miah Nikora, Mike McComish and Thomas Timani done for their squad? All were low cost signings who have been recruited in the last two seasons. All have been massive failures. Sometimes I wonder are their coaches recruiting players based solely on highlights from youtube and DVDs sent to them be agents.

Connacht's tight 5 is quite poor too. Loughney and McCarthy (who for some reason is rated by Connacht fans) are nothing players and while Morris and Upton have done good jobs for Connacht, they wouldn't come close to making the Leinster, Ulster or Munster teams. Muldoon, Ofisa and Naoupu (who I haven't seen much of) are a decent backrow who can raise their game but nothing more. Only Sean Cronin provides real quality to their pack.

Are these two up-and-coming Leinster flankers going to be Ireland material in the future?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jan 1 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Are these two up-and-coming Leinster flankers going to be Ireland material in the future?[/b]
They probably will. Both of them are best suited to play at blindside (in my opinion) but there's the small matter of shifting Stephen Ferris (not exactly a pensioner) out of the Ireland team to contend with! Dominic Ryan is being tried out at 7 where he'll be fighting for playing time with Sean O'Brien and Shane Jennings. Ruddock will likely be battling with Kevin McLaughlin for the 6 shirt by the time of 2011 World Cup and perhaps sooner - a new head coach coming in next year may decide to go with the academy players. Competition for places should spur all on.

Lads I still flaming from last night :p

But didn't get chance to see teams yet what are they

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 2 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Game off. Coaches and Ref agreed upon second inspection. Blast.[/b]
What the plan so surely last thing Leinster needed was a postponed game which will now be a midweek game or during the 6Nations

A date for the tie hasn't been announced yet so we'll just have to wait and see. The game will most likely be played, as you say, during the 6 nations which would proabably suit Connacht.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 2 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A date for the tie hasn't been announced yet so we'll just have to wait and see. The game will most likely be played, as you say, during the 6 nations which would proabably suit Connacht.[/b]
Yea as Connacht will probably only lose Cronin but Leinster will loose few even to U.20 team so it'll probably mean some academy players will be fast tracked in

I think the IRFU should injecte money in to connaught next season.
THey then could bring over decent forgeins who get little game time or have no international futures.

connaught starting XV 2010-2011

1.McCormack(good in the scrum little game time at leinster) 9.Murphy
2.Cronin 10.Keatley
3.Wilkinson 11.Riordan(will come back to from munster,huge pace)
4.McCarthy 12.la Grange(very powerfull, good level but will never play for the springboks)
5.Humphries(good lock from queensland reds) 13.Matthews
6.Muldoon 14.O'halloran(minght be a bit young "16")/O'boyle(very fast guy from munster)
7.O'connor(underated) 15.Duffy(underated)
8.O'donnell(very good munster fellow,future international)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Jan 3 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the IRFU should injecte money in to connaught next season.
THey then could bring over decent forgeins who get little game time or have no international futures.

connaught starting XV 2010-2011

1.McCormack(good in the scrum little game time at leinster) 9.Murphy
2.Cronin 10.Keatley
3.Wilkinson 11.Riordan(will come back to from munster,huge pace)
4.McCarthy 12.la Grange(very powerfull, good level but will never play for the springboks)
5.Humphries(good lock from queensland reds) 13.Matthews
6.Muldoon 14.O'halloran(minght be a bit young "16")/O'boyle(very fast guy from munster)
7.O'connor(underated) 15.Duffy(underated)
8.O'donnell(very good munster fellow,future international)[/b]
Agree with idea but Money isnt there and it look like Cronin will leave for Munster/Leinster and who's to say the foreign guys will want to come to Connacht like not alot to impress them.

As for likes of O'Donnell with the world cup upon us there will be plenty of game time for him at Munster so he won't leave as he knows if he bides his time he will eventually get in. As in even Quinny etc had to bide their time

THe IRFU have buckets of money signed 30M contract whit PUMA and and sold Lansdowne Road to AVIVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!.And Connaught should change stadium I hate or accual patato field.There's a lot of stadiums in connaught Douglas Hyde park in Roscommon would be a good stadium.poeple in Roscommon and Athlone love rugby and it's only 1h45m away from Dublin.Sure the GAA would agree to share the pitch for a few bob

Latest posts