• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

I love youtube. But yes it shows me stuff I like. I think Facebook though is worse for conspiracy theories and spread of it via their echo chambers.
Have you watched the social dilemma on netflix? The big issue will all of these social media platforms is that they use AI algorithms to suggest content for you. However this algorithm doesn't discern what is appropriate and what is not. Therefore if you look at videos with conspiracy theories or click links on facebook to conspiracy theories, the algorithm will note that and just send you more.

Have you watched the social dilemma on netflix? The big issue will all of these social media platforms is that they use AI algorithms to suggest content for you. However this algorithm doesn't discern what is appropriate and what is not. Therefore if you look at videos with conspiracy theories or click links on facebook to conspiracy theories, the algorithm will note that and just send you more.
no, not watched it yet, but yes am aware of the algorithms used by youtube to suggest and send content. Most of the content i watch is pretty mainstream, even politically, and not the conspiracy nut job vids out there.

no, not watched it yet, but yes am aware of the algorithms used by youtube to suggest and send content. Most of the content i watch is pretty mainstream, even politically, and not the conspiracy nut job vids out there.
Yeah, but the issue is those who watch one or two videos with conspiracy theories will then be given more and more, not because they ask for it, but because the algorithm determines that they watched one video and so gives them more regardless of if they want it or not. However, usually they will then watch the next one and the next and just keep getting more and more. It's a downward spiral that is out of any human control.

So we're exceeding the worst case scenario, but there is a glimmer of hope because cases aren't rising as quickly? Evidence from other countries is that the local lockdowns hasn't done much to stop the spread and on this evidence it's not working here. Considering we're always supposed to be behind the other countries we're certainly not learning from them.

Yeah, but the issue is those who watch one or two videos with conspiracy theories will then be given more and more, not because they ask for it, but because the algorithm determines that they watched one video and so gives them more regardless of if they want it or not. However, usually they will then watch the next one and the next and just keep getting more and more. It's a downward spiral that is out of any human control.
Yeh there is an option on videos to tell YouTube you're not interested. Don't like the fact they ask you to explain why.

if peeps don't and they click on the wrong video then yes I am sure YouTube's algorithm will push similar videos. And yes from there it snowballs.

Conspiracy theories generally provide meaning and purpose to an event, which appeals to those looking for meaning in events. They are easily spread not just via YouTube but any medium.

One of the worst IMO was the JFK one. But it was a perfect storm and produced more literature on the subject since the Bible, or so I have read. It's the perfect case study why America is a basket case when it comes to conspiracy theories and how easily it is spread and that was way b4 the age of the internet.

Evidence from other countries is that the local lockdowns hasn't done much to stop the spread and on this evidence it's not working here. Considering we're always supposed to be behind the other countries we're certainly not learning from them.
People seem to be trying to reinforce this point on Twitter today. I've seen loads of stats on continuing worrying trends in areas that are under more stringent measures.

Best Tweet of the day from an Independant SAGE member: "There is this false dichotomy between economic development and the health of the nation." Given the correlation that we have seen between managing the virus and minimising economic impact, it seems made that this needs to be explained to anyone, but it clearly does.

People seem to be trying to reinforce this point on Twitter today. I've seen loads of stats on continuing worrying trends in areas that are under more stringent measures.

Best Tweet of the day from an Independant SAGE member: "There is this false dichotomy between economic development and the health of the nation." Given the correlation that we have seen between managing the virus and minimising economic impact, it seems made that this needs to be explained to anyone, but it clearly does.
In the summer the Tories were already worried they'd ended up with the worst of both worlds. High death rate and some of the worst economic figures. They try to hide it behind the veil of 'well if we're not the worst we must be good' but that can only get you by so long. On top it's looking increasingly likely that whatever deal if any is signed with the E.U will not be good, which will probably be another shock to the economy. There is a choice between the health of the nation and economic development, but that's only because they ****** it up so badly in the first place that they've got no more room to work with.

There is a choice between the health of the nation and economic development, but that's only because they ****** it up so badly in the first place that they've got no more room to work with.
What's your basis for saying that? I still see it the same way that I did in March, based on my view that at some point the NHS will reach a significant enough crisis point that the government will be forced into a lockdown to save it. We could have been in the midst of a circuit break this week, but the short term pain proved not to be palateable, so we can look forward to a lot more pain in the future once hands are forced. If you believe that it could be possible to avoid a second lockdown by accepting more fatalities / long term conditions, I could understand your contention. I sincerely hope you're wrong as I would see it as a whole new level of sociopathy even for this government.

Moving on from that point, tommorow's news seems inevitable - 500k testing capacity reached and pats on the back all round, crassly ignoring the point that tests are only useful if you make proper use of the results.

What's your basis for saying that? I still see it the same way that I did in March, based on my view that at some point the NHS will reach a significant enough crisis point that the government will be forced into a lockdown to save it. We could have been in the midst of a circuit break this week, but the short term pain proved not to be palateable, so we can look forward to a lot more pain in the future once hands are forced. If you believe that it could be possible to avoid a second lockdown by accepting more fatalities / long term conditions, I could understand your contention. I sincerely hope you're wrong as I would see it as a whole new level of sociopathy even for this government.

Moving on from that point, tommorow's news seems inevitable - 500k testing capacity reached and pats on the back all round, crassly ignoring the point that tests are only useful if you make proper use of the results.

My point is less what could be done or might happen and more that if the government had acted earlier in March and had put in place better systems quicker then they might have been able to manage the virus and support the economy at the same time. However because they messed up and ended up with both high death rates and poor economic performance they have limited their options as they can't let the virus spread too much, but also the economy is really struggling. Therefore it is a trade off, because they haven't got the room to try and do both anymore as a consequence of their actions earlier.

I hesitate to use the mail but only one actually claiming that lockdown will be announced next week.

As most people know, the Orange Monster has bungled the Covid-19 pandemic big time here in the states. Hopefully that will lead to his demise this coming Tuesday. The thought of 4 more years of Trump worries me to say the least. :eek:

Should of done it weeks ago when circuit breaker first suggested, now will be longer having a greater economic effect.

Made exactly the same mistakes we did in March...

They also had all summer to prepare for this. Eat out to help out supposedly contributed to a fifth of COVID cases in August. Peeps returning from holidays in Spain spreading it as well.

Latest posts