• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

How interesting is it that whenever a country is about to go into it's cold months, this Virus appears to spread even more. And yet, the Flu is something non-existant this year.

And then people still say there is no evidence to support that this Virus is being affected by heat/cold.

Half of Europe is going into a hard lockdown now, while other countries in the SH are seemingly so close to being effectively prepared that no further outbreaks could happen, it makes you think that this virus is perhaps just the new flu which we will get.

Flu vaccines for this year is being heavily promoted from what I've seen. I don't think it's that there's is no flu just COVID is way more transmittible as it can't be controlled through a vaccine and getting to people first. We;ll see what happens lockdown and restrictions should help flu transmission as well so just because cases are reduced doesn't mean the problem has just gone away.

Winter is a worry as well as usually the NHS is straining heavilly under normal circumstances yet they'll be hitting the peak of this disaster in the next couple of weeks, we know the recovery will take longer than the spread its going to be an absolute shitshow.

We are not yet in flu season in the UK. Although it feels like 2020 has lasted decades we are still only in mid autumn.

My closest hospital released their inpatient numbers last week as a comparison. They had 152 covid inpatients and 2 flu inpatients.

On the same week last year they also only had 2 flu inpatients.

How interesting is it that whenever a country is about to go into it's cold months, this Virus appears to spread even more. And yet, the Flu is something non-existant this year.
Well, this simply isn't true yet, as we haven't really started Flu season in the northern hemisphere yet, and numbers were spiking before the weather really turned.
But... Flu's likely to be way down this year as A] we have a vaccine for flu, that's being pushed far more than normal this year, and B] the things that work tp prevent Covid ALSO work even better for flu.

It's no great surprise that colder / windier / wetter weather keeps people inside more, and it's well known that ventilation is the single biggest factor in reducing spread of anything airborn - so you absolutely would expect weather-that-keeps-peope-indoors increases spread of a cirus-that-spreads-VERY-easily-indoors. It's nothing to do with the temperature, but how humans react to the weather. AKA C] the things that work to spread flu also work even better to spread Covid (except childhood, counter-intuitively)

You sign off of "just the new flu" minimises this virus dangerously IT IS NOT THE FLU.
Covid is something like 2-3 times as infection (and that's a very conservative estimate - if you believe there are more cases, then it's that much more infectious); approximately 10 times as lethal; with a far, far worse initiator of post-viral fatigue, a postviral fatigue that is far, far more severe, deadly in it's own right, and with a far higher rate of suffering.

Last edited:
Well, this simply isn't true yet, as we haven't really started Flu season in the northern hemisphere yet, and numbers were spiking before the weather really turned.
But... Flu's likely to be way down this year as A] we have a vaccine for flu, that's being pushed far more than normal this year, and B] the things that work tp prevent Covid ALSO work even better for flu.

It's no great surprise that colder / windier / wetter weather keeps people inside more, and it's well known that ventilation is the single biggest factor in reducing spread of anything airborn - so you absolutely would expect weather-that-keeps-peope-indoors increases spread of a cirus-that-spreads-VERY-easily-indoors. It's nothing to do with the temperature, but how humans react to the weather. AKA C] the things that work to spread flu also work even better to spread Covid (except childhood, counter-intuitively)

You sign off of "just the new flu" minimises this virus dangerously IT IS NOT THE FLU.
Covid is something like 2-3 times as infection (and that's a very conservative estimate - if you believe there are more cases, then it's that much more infectious); approximately 10 times as lethal; with a far, far worse initiator of post-viral fatigue, a postviral fatigue that is far, far more severe, deadly in it's own right, and with a far higher rate of suffering.

I'm not downplaying the COVID-19 pandemic at all. In fact I have the biggest respect for the people who recovers from it when they were in hospital.

My wife gave birth in September, and due to complications, our little girl had to stay over in NICU for more than 2 weeks, while mommy and twin brother went home.

For 3 weeks I went to the hospital everyday, and at times were there at night, in the morning and afternoons. The maternity ward, the NICU, and the entire hospital had protocols in place for COVID, the woman in the room next to my wife in the maternity ward, gave birth while testing positive for COVID, and her baby was placed in Isolation until both of them was tested negative.

Because myself and my wife went in to the hospital everyday, we were screened on 2 occasions on a daily basis as we enter the premises, and we also did the throat swab test weekly.

The things we saw and heard in the hospital definitely makes you see that this pandemic is no joke.

I've seen a video of a soft play centre owner trying to use the magna carta as a reason to stay open.

fml.
Why do people believe everything their neighbours uncle shares on Facebook

A little bit of research (as in one lazy google search) shows that article 61 hasn't been valid for 700 years lol.
Ah freemen of the free land are quite hilarious, lawyer friends and those I follow on twitter tell many great ones. They soon find themselves in prison.

Panic buying at my local supermarkets is in full swing!

Also why can you buy takeaway beer at Tescos during a lockdown but not from a pub?
Managed to nab a delivery spot for today on Saturday when I saw how **** was going down I know have enough toilet roll (9 rolls) to start a small business empire.

I'm assuming its a licensing issue? I know when I worked near a brewery that beer bought in the shop couldn't be consumed in the 'restaurant' and you couldn't take home the beer from the restaurant (well you usually consumed that in a glass).

Seen a few pubs/bars near me doing big discounts on beer up until lockdown, to try and drink the cellars dry - don't envy the police (/street sweepers) on Wednesday night/Thursday morning!

Also why can you buy takeaway beer at Tescos during a lockdown but not from a pub?
Apparently you were allowed to in Lockdown 1.0 the updated patch notes to Lockdown 2.0 mean you no longer can. So "eat out to help out" to "**** pubs". It doesn't make a lot of sense but I've long since given up on this governement making sense and I didn't have much faith to begin with.

I hadn't realised you couldn't get takeaway beer from pubs this time - one of the locals here was doing full-on takeaway, and they've been great

Managed to nab a delivery spot for today on Saturday when I saw how **** was going down I know have enough toilet roll (9 rolls) to start a small business empire.

I'm assuming its a licensing issue? I know when I worked near a brewery that beer bought in the shop couldn't be consumed in the 'restaurant' and you couldn't take home the beer from the restaurant (well you usually consumed that in a glass).
Perhaps but you can purchase alcohol from my local to drink at home under normal circumstances not sure why you cannot do it in lock down. Might pop down my local as its open tonight when it's normally shut on a Monday. Will sing when will I see you again to my pint of Doombar...

Bit of glimmer of hope if it works. Being able to test so quickly, so frequently if the next best thing to a workable vaccine.
Considering how well the anything else the PM has promised has been delivered upon, it might working for Christmas 2021. It'll be great if it does work though but we do have PM who over promises by miles for good headlines for a day or two and a history of big project failures.

Considering how well the anything else the PM has promised has been delivered upon, it might working for Christmas 2021. It'll be great if it does work though but we do have PM who over promises by miles for good headlines for a day or two and a history of big project failures.
Yes I understand you being cynical about this but to me its a step towards normality which we wont fully have until we have a workable vaccine. Glad they have got the military involved again, its a resource the Government should be taking full advantage of in an emergency situation like this.

Latest posts