• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

If something is already illegal I don't think the lockdown is going to stop them?

Are you sure it's illegal car washes and not legal ones?
OK the ones that are set up in old garages by people who also manage bouncer contracts in City centres. You know the kind of places that get raided by immigration enforcement on a weekly basis who tend to find 20 "employees" living in a 2 bed house.

Also not sure how car washing is essential.

(sorry been a long day)

Agree about car washing not being essential (although owning a white car I do need to put it through auto wash soon). However this government has never been one for consistency or logic.

Also agree with it being a long day I literally have gotten nowhere on what I'm working on 3 days...

Agree about car washing not being essential (although owning a white car I do need to put it through auto wash soon). However this government has never been one for consistency or logic.

Also agree with it being a long day I literally have gotten nowhere on what I'm working on 3 days...
Dont, got Covid, Brexit and Christmas coming out my arse at the minute, of which Brexit is the most simple to sort.

That is good news, but still need to see how long this new vaccine will infer immunity for. Who it's going to be rolled out to first? - presumably elderly, vulnerable and health workers first and how it is then rolled out to the rest of the population. It will still take time and to see if this 90% figure holds.

And that's not counting the anti vaxxers.

I won't pretend to be a scientist, but from what I've read 90% is absolutely huge for a vaccine and most projections were way more conservative. You'd imagine if Pfizer have been successful others at similar stages of testing won't be too far behind which would allow for way quicker distribution.

What annoys me is how misleading this is. 90% is based only on the first 94 volunteers and not on the rest of the 43500. I'm hopeful that it will still do the job, but I really am fed up with misleading or premature headlines rather than accurate information based on clear data and information.

What annoys me is how misleading this is. 90% is based only on the first 94 volunteers and not on the rest of the 43500. I'm hopeful that it will still do the job, but I really am fed up with misleading or premature headlines rather than accurate information based on clear data and information.
Just to expand on above BBC news - Ferguson Walsh reporting half of the group were given the vaccine and half were given a dummy/placebo jab, which I am reading as 21,750 in each group. Nearly all of the 94 who went onto develop the virus came from the non vaccinated group. And on this basis the 90% effective figure is based.

It's cautious optimism at the moment and paves the way for more vaccines based on this type of vaccine. Still need to know a lot more about it.

Also reading the vaccine needs to be stored at -80 degrees C so won't be easy to distribute, especially in poor countries. And two jabs required 3 weeks apart.

Anyone listen to Jeremy Vine this afternoon? Two very hysterical anti vaccine types screaming about their opinion needing to be heard. Classic response from the scientist.. "you can have your own opinion but you cannot have your own facts"
That's awesome, hopefully I'll remember it and be able to throw it in someone's face soon!

Funnily enough, having made the mistake of engaging with a conspiracy theorist on Twitter today, I did a bit of reading about the psychology behind it. I thought this article was very good https://www.businessinsider.com/psy...ories-during-uncertain-times-2020-4?r=US&IR=T. It confirmed a few of my thoughts and put the boot in even further - not a good write up for these people, but no doubt the author of this article is just being bribed by the New World Order to try and prevent them spreading the truth!

Sad milestone passed of 50,000 deaths from COVID.
hope this doesn't come across as condescending, its meant to be encouraging

at least your doing something about it, its worked for us on aus, keep at it, and even if all you end up doing is protecting you and your loved ones until a vaccine is ready that something

Our lockdown feels very half arsed this time round

I'm not sure what counts as "essential business" but I didn't see a single shop closed in the town centre the other day,
Mobile phone shops, stationary shops, CEX - all open

Feels like the only things that are closed are pubs/restaurants/gyms

People are gathering in groups, supermarkets rammed at all times (no one in one out systems in place this time round)

Our lockdown feels very half arsed this time round

I'm not sure what counts as "essential business" but I didn't see a single shop closed in the town centre the other day,
Mobile phone shops, stationary shops, CEX - all open

Feels like the only things that are closed are pubs/restaurants/gyms

People are gathering in groups, supermarkets rammed at all times (no one in one out systems in place this time round)
We wouldn't know a lockdown was occurring unless we saw it mentioned on TV.
Went to bank yesterday and saw Rymans were open. Lady in bank said it was because of a loophole -something to do with credit union FFS.

Latest posts