• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

More than 22000 cases reported similar to October . But hospitalisations a fifth of what they were back in October.

more on Andrew Marr getting Covid despite being double jabbed with Pfizer.
Our local (Conservative) council has said that the rise in rates in Cornwall is nothing to do with G7 despite offering no reason why St Ives' (inc. Carbis Bay) and Falmouth's (where huge amounts of people involved were based) suddenly started leading the way. Meanwhile a local (Conservative) MP has said that anyone trying to suggest that there's a link is "scaremongering".

Our local (Conservative) council has said that the rise in rates in Cornwall is nothing to do with G7 despite offering no reason why St Ives' (inc. Carbis Bay) and Falmouth's (where huge amounts of people involved were based) suddenly started leading the way. Meanwhile a local (Conservative) MP has said that anyone trying to suggest that there's a link is "scaremongering".
Be interesting if Marr interviews that MP. Will that MP call him a liar?

The dates for cases and deaths is daily. The hospital admissions have not updated for nearly a week on the BBC and UGOV
True but Delta has been circulating since April here. That's almost 3 months of data and rising cases but doesn't seem to be reflected in hospitalisations to the extent of the winter. Touch wood it doesn't start to in a months time And the lag kicks in.

True but Delta has been circulating since April here. That's almost 3 months of data and rising cases but doesn't seem to be reflected in hospitalisations to the extent of the winter. Touch wood it doesn't start to in a months time And the lag kicks in.
Ummm, I do wonder why they are not updating it

Ummm, I do wonder why they are not updating it
Hasn't this reporting delay been present throughout the pandemic?
I could see the rate of admissions per x positive test rising over time given that history dictates that it starts with younger people, before moving up through the generations. How much, I have no idea.

Spectator's data points to a 66% reduction in the proportion of positive tests that end up in hospital. Given the current doubling time and making allowances for the wiggle room that having more people vaccinated by then creates, it looks like there should be sufficient cases by mid August to get hospitalisations back to mid-January, NHS crippling levels. It's like the worst anxiety dream ever, seeing us being dragged over a cliff by the same mistakes again and again. It will be interesting to see what happens this time, if Great Barrington Javid sticks to his guns, we will get an answer to the question of what damage letting the virus rip would have done versus the damage of lockdowns. My heart goes out to anyone requiring ongoing hospital treatment and to anyone working in patient facing rolls in the NHS.

ETA hospitalisation / death figures look set to become less reliable as the NHS are told to massage the figures to mask the extent of the problem:

Still the only thing we have going for us is that we are hitting our summer and schools will be breaking up in 3 weeks.

Now how cases are and hospitalisations are come September will be key post summer hols and kids, students returning to school/Uni.

This is unacceptable.

It's so hard to know what to believe when we're reliant on journalists who care about headlines much more than information. Points that this article doesn't make:

- the sample size is tiny
- what variant this protection is against
- how it's going to protect anyone against a variant that doesn't yet exist and escapes vaccines.

This flies in the face of reports in the Lancet (peer reviewed medical journal) at the start of the month that 2 doses of Pfizer is only good for 3 months against B.1.617.2 (meaning that the mist vulnerable groups here in the UK's protection is waning / gone already). Over here, there has been a lot of talk of top ups, some that it will improve protection, some that it will be necessary to top up protection.

In related news, I heard from a friend this morning that he lost a 62 year old, double vaccinated, aunt to covid last week.

Lots of targeted attacks/harassment against Chris Whitty at the moment, worth knowing this to how he must feel about this.

Surprised and disappointed that Lee Hurst tweeted that.
I try not to be surprised by milkshake ducking these days it happens all too often. The list of Brexit voting rockers now outraged by the rules of leaving is depressing.

Latest posts