• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Got picked for an antibody test research study by Imperial College London. It involved pricking my finger and drawing blood and then using a supplied test kit to see if I had produced antibodies for Covid. Not surprising to myself I did not, as I haven't had any symptoms and been low risk, working from home. I then go online and complete a questionnaire and upload a photo of my test kit.

Anyone else been picked to take part in a study? My work colleague told me for her she was offered vouchers,

Got picked for an antibody test research study by Imperial College London. It involved pricking my finger and drawing blood and then using a supplied test kit to see if I had produced antibodies for Covid. Not surprising to myself I did not, as I haven't had any symptoms and been low risk, working from home. I then go online and complete a questionnaire and upload a photo of my test kit.

Anyone else been picked to take part in a study? My work colleague told me for her she was offered vouchers,
Must be nice. Were so far behind here in the USA with testing that most people have given up trying. Test sites are very sparse and the lines are so long that people are literally spending an entire day waiting and still not getting tested. The Covid-19 death count is almost 200,000 and there's no end in sight thanks to Trump's lax attitude towards the crisis.

Trump's attitude towards Covid-19 reminds me of this Supertramp album cover from 1975.

1600203940032.png

Must be nice. Were so far behind here in the USA with testing that most people have given up trying. Test sites are very sparse and the lines are so long that people are literally spending an entire day waiting and still not getting tested. The Covid-19 death count is almost 200,000 and there's no end in sight thanks to Trump's lax attitude towards the crisis.

Trump's attitude towards Covid-19 reminds me of this Supertramp album cover from 1975.

View attachment 8478

yeah it was for research only, so the result is not 100%. Still, good to know it is unlikely I have had it and I don't plan to increase my risk of getting it.

Yes, testing here is not good either. Peeps having to travel miles to get a test and only if they are eligible, which is why o agreed to take part in this one if only give me an idea if I have had it.

Hopefully for your country's sake Trump gets booted out in 50 days time. Fingers crossed.

we in Aus are slowing getting it under control, dont think we'll ever get it "eliminated" like NZ but would be nice if Victoria could align with the other states, open the state borders, sitting at around 40 cases a day for a week or so

1600207022001.png

we in Aus are slowing getting it under control, dont think we'll ever get it "eliminated" like NZ but would be nice if Victoria could align with the other states, open the state borders, sitting at around 40 cases a day for a week or so

View attachment 8479
I think what is counting in Australia and South Africa's favour is that it's becoming warmer as we enter summer. And it's been evident that this virus hates the heat. So hopefully by December we'll be at very low numbers.

My wife is going to give birth tomorrow, and has been in hospital now for 2 weeks under observation. She has now done 2 COVID tests which is mandatory on a weekly basis while in the hospital. Both times negative. I am the only person allowed to enter the hospital and visit her on a daily basis. It's a bit eery to walk in the hospital and being the only one in the corridors apart from the hospital staff.

I think what is counting in Australia and South Africa's favour is that it's becoming warmer as we enter summer. And it's been evident that this virus hates the heat. So hopefully by December we'll be at very low numbers.
Link please.
Because I've yet to se any evidence whatsoever of that, apart from Trumpian soundbites.
FWIW the Mediterranean in May and June isn't exactly renowned for its arctic temperatures.

Link please.
Because I've yet to se any evidence whatsoever of that, apart from Trumpian soundbites.
FWIW the Mediterranean in May and June isn't exactly renowned for its arctic temperatures.

Okay, maybe I should've worded it better, but it's more an observation than fact. Based on what I've read on WHO's site, there's too many contradictory evidence to make a conclusion whether warmer climate has an effect on the virus.

But from what I've seen, ever since this cold fronts ended in SA, there has been a significant drop in new cases. And some hospitals here up North have less than 5 COVID patients in the wards. Some hospitals have zero COVID patients.

What is interesting though is what the Nurses in the hospital are saying. Because of this virus, there wasn't any influenza patients this year in the hospital, which is remarkable, especially in the peadiatrics ward. The peadiatrics ward is usually the one with the highest number of influenza patients, but this year they had none. The wearing of masks and regular sanitizing of hands has basically rid the town of influenza, and while there is always this time of year a big jump in Sinus-infections due to the pollen in the air, that has also significatly dropped because of the covering of the nose and mouth.

Link please.
Yeah, never heard anything like that other than trumps claim early on, but I thought that was pretty quickly debunked, considering it's summer in the northern hemisphere and the states is more or less out of control I don't think there is a connection personally

Trump now claiming he "up-played" the virus rather than downplaying it...

Ok seriously? Even the most avid Trumper must be able to see just how frequently and blatantly this tosser lies? He also said Americans may not need a vaccine for the virus to go away because they will develop a "herd mentality", well they certainly have that.

Trump now claiming he "up-played" the virus rather than downplaying it...

Ok seriously? Even the most avid Trumper must be able to see just how frequently and blatantly this tosser lies? He also said Americans may not need a vaccine for the virus to go away because they will develop a "herd mentality", well they certainly have that.
It is actually insane that he can lie about something for which there is an actual recording of him saying the downplayed it and yet his supporters will still believe him.

Reporter: Do you believe Trump when he said he up-played the virus?

Trump Supporter: Yes completely.

Reporter: Here's a recording of him admitting he down played it in his own voice.

*Plays interview*

Trump Supporter: Fake news, I still believe Trump.

It's hardly surprising they had a tape of him admitting he sexually assaults women and still elected him president.

The video I posted about flat earth and QAnon sort of explains the psychology. They have decided the world is complex and have completely hinged their psyche that an authortarian state led by Trump will make it simple again.

We see a similar thing in this country over Brexit (and it is a subset) where people won't deal in facts they deal in emotions. It doesn't matter what you tell them, anything that Boris does is fine as long as we remove ourselves from the EU everything in thier lives will be fixed. Even when it all goes ***s up like it has been for the last 4 years they'll still cling remainder conspiracy and the big bad EU.

So now he's trying to exclude the Democratic states death rates to make the total deaths look better? Yes, a President for all of the United States as long as the states are Republican.

Queueing back in place both inside and outside the supermarket this morning

Everyone stock up on toilet roll!

Second wave a coming. Thankfully got enough bog roll and beer me to last me for a while. The latter if I eke it out.

My area has seen cases rise from 7 per 100,000 to 39 per 100,000 in 1 month.

It's almost like people didn't pay attention when told just because it's getting better, doesn't mean it's over. :rolleyes:

At some point we are going to start saying just open the economy and don't care who dies.

Yeah, same here, particularly in Dublin which has heightened restrictions to the rest of the country.

A second wave was inevitable, at least this time the vast majority of people getting it are under 45s and the death rate is less than 1 a day for the past month.

The restrictions aren't too bad for anyone who can enjoy things without the pub/alcohol. I can still play golf, gym, got to rugby training (non contact) and swim so fairly content.

Anyone had the virus here and still suffering the after effects? Been reading experiences even of under 45s who caught it 6 months ago who are still felling the effects of it.

Latest posts