• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

As I've said for me this failure is probably the worst out of everything. If this was working, while the virus would be still around, we wouldn't be in such an awful situation. Other decisions have contributed, but without this there was never any hope of controlling the virus.

The two things that have bothered me most are:

1. The Government has seemed to make judgements based on keeping people happy rather than keeping them safe. What we really needed/need is strong leadership not a popularity contest and in many cases the public wanted tougher measures. Christmas was a prime example: the government seemed hell bent on saving Christmas by relaxing the rules when most sane people knew it was just not worth it.

2. The leaks are a pain. How many briefs have the Government done when you don't already know what going to be said? I understand in normal times government leaks are normal but in times of national crisis then people need to shut the **** up until its announced.

1. The Government has seemed to make judgements based on keeping people happy rather than keeping them safe. What we really needed/need is strong leadership not a popularity contest and in many cases the public wanted tougher measures. Christmas was a prime example: the government seemed hell bent on saving Christmas by relaxing the rules when most sane people knew it was just not worth it.
Aye,
Bojo waits long enough/until things are bad enough that he can pander to the anti-lockdown lot by saying science is forcing us into extreme measures etc, when in reality if he'd implemented measures earlier it wouldn't have got this bad.

Bojo wants his cake and eat it. Quite literally. Have the economy keep going but eliminate the virus. That has been his approach to his whole political career. Unfortunately, it does not work in a pandemic.

Bojo wants his cake and eat it. Quite literally. Have the economy keep going but eliminate the virus. That has been his approach to his whole political career. Unfortunately, it does not work in a pandemic.
We now have the figures from multiple countrys those which locked down hard and took a zero covid approach (note Europe as a whole did not do this), economies have bounced back a lot better than those that have tried to control the virus whilst being as open as possible. So reality is managing the virus properly goes hand in hand with a good economy which many calling for a tougher and lengthier lockdown have been arguing would be the case.

We now have the figures from multiple countrys those which locked down hard and took a zero covid approach (note Europe as a whole did not do this), economies have bounced back a lot better than those that have tried to control the virus whilst being as open as possible. So reality is managing the virus properly goes hand in hand with a good economy which many calling for a tougher and lengthier lockdown have been arguing would be the case.
The problem is those countries that did did manage well from the beginning and managed the virus didn't have a incompetent leadership. The summer in the UK was the time to put the track and trace properly. But instead Bojo's Government allowed peeps to go on their summer holidays abroad and then encouraged the whole Eat out to help out in August. Each I am sure contributed to the surge and mutations of the virus from September onwards.

Too late for the UK now to implement a proper/robust Track and trace with the numbers of infections. As only now trying to test asymptomatic people which had to be done from the beginning or at least in the summer when R rate was under 1.
Will now have to learn from this and why a public enquiry is essential. This is equivalent of what South East Asia faced with SARS and MERS 20 years ago.

Bojo is a libertarian at heart. His way is to nudge and persuade from the outset of this and then when the numbers or deaths were starting to look bad then take action of lockdown has been the problem. His "way" has massively contributed to deaths from COVID.

The two things that have bothered me most are:

2. The leaks are a pain. How many briefs have the Government done when you don't already know what going to be said? I understand in normal times government leaks are normal but in times of national crisis then people need to shut the **** up until its announced.
Vote in a populist who is all about popularity and not substance, get someone who only acts to be popular and not do anything substantive :rolleyes:

Will we ever get a public enquiry into all of this ? 2022 or even 2023 - 1 year out from a General election?
Totally should be. I think Bojo promised one, one promise he should be made to keep, and well before the next election while he is still in no10.

Last edited:
There is a difference with the powers to call and put witnesses under oath and also to give a remit to force this Government to take on its recommendations . Can just foresee Bojo's Government handpicking a useful idiot to undertake an "independent Enquiry" but with very limited remit to make Bojo and his Government Accountable for let's face is the biggest disaster this country has faced since WW2.

ote in a populist who is all about popularity and not substance, get someone who only acts to be popular and not do anything substantive :rolleyes:
All politician's are populist to a certain degree, I seem to remember the promise of free broadband at the last election.

they seem to be still playing party politics and that's annoying. BJ like to fancy himself as Churchill but when Churchill was made PM in 1940 he understood party politics had to be forgotten for the common good and his wartime cabinet contained allies, enemies, civilians and in the case of Ernest Bevan a left wing trade unionist and this has to be the biggest crisis this country and indeed the world has faced since then.

All politician's are populist to a certain degree, I seem to remember the promise of free broadband at the last election.

they seem to be still playing party politics and that's annoying. BJ like to fancy himself as Churchill but when Churchill was made PM in 1940 he understood party politics had to be forgotten for the common good and his wartime cabinet contained allies, enemies, civilians and in the case of Ernest Bevan a left wing trade unionist and this has to be the biggest crisis this country and indeed the world has faced since then.
Which in hindsight may not have been such a bad idea, especially if current working practices continue post-covid.

The irony being that we have one of the worst economic figures in the world and one of the worst virus responses in the world. Though the Tories have really pushed to make out that if we're not the worst we're good, when actually if we're not the worst we're ******* **** still.

There is a difference with the powers to call and put witnesses under oath and also to give a remit to force this Government to take on its recommendations . Can just foresee Bojo's Government handpicking a useful idiot to undertake an "independent Enquiry" but with very limited remit to make Bojo and his Government Accountable for let's face is the biggest disaster this country has faced since WW2.
Definitely needs to have the power to look anywhere and everywhere. My question is who releases the report, because this government already has a proven track record of withholding reports and then heavily censoring them.

But if you fill the cabinet with yes men then it makes you think like you're doing a good job.

2,474,205 today

140k a day seems low*, especially as 19k of those were second doses

*If we're truely targeting 2m a day
Agreed, while the numbers are big and fairly impressive, it's easy to forget the magnitude of the task. By my fag packet maths, they need to be vaccinating almost 200k more people a day from tomorrow onwards in order to meet the Boris' target by the 15th February. Obviously every day that that rate isn't met, the required rate for the rest of the period increases. That's assuming that the target is to actually put the vaccine inside 15m people, not to offer it to one person 15m times (as noted previously)!

No doubt the rate of administering doses will increase, but it's sobering to think that at the current rate, it would take 16 months to get a single shot into everyone in the country (assuming everyone had it).

Don't you mean Communist Broadband?

jeremy corbyn politics GIF

*Now considered a potentially good idea with remote working and teaching

Don't you mean Communist Broadband?

*Now considered a potentially good idea with remote working and teaching
The issue was less the idea and just the feasibility, I have a friend who works for BT who basically pointied how extremely poorly costed it was and would cost far more than Corbyn thought it would even if you took into account nationlisation.

Usual issue with a Corbyn manifesto the problem wasn't the ideas or even that it was 'costed'. Its that under scrutiny the costs seamed to come from the back of fag packets and doing it all just seamed completely far fetched.

Latest posts