• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

Are we brave enough to go horses for courses?

personally id play patel and henry instead of jamieson and wagner, despite the fact the latter players are superstars of world cricket when playing in nz conditions, and have been a bug part if why we are in this final. I doubt wed be brave enough or smart enough to make that call, but i think we should.

Are we brave enough to go horses for courses?

personally id play patel and henry instead of jamieson and wagner, despite the fact the latter players are superstars of world cricket when playing in nz conditions, and have been a bug part if why we are in this final. I doubt wed be brave enough or smart enough to make that call, but i think we should.
At the Rose Bowl they've been known to produce spinning tracks so I'd definitely be playing Patel over Santner as your spinner. I certainly wouldn't be doing an England and be completely moronic.

At the Rose Bowl they've been known to produce spinning tracks so I'd definitely be playing Patel over Santner as your spinner. I certainly wouldn't be doing an England and be completely moronic.
Do you think there is enough bounce for wagner to be a threat? If we play patel we are kinda forced to play de grandhomme, because santner is an all rounder. At which point only one of wagner, jamieson, and henry can make it. Or we call jamieson an all rounder and leave out de grandhomme for a bowler heavy team. My guess is patel and henry miss out, with wagner and jamieson making it on reputation, de grandhomme instead of santner, so no spinners. We dont tend to do horses for courses.

So im just hearing after two and a half years to detemine finalists for the inaugural test championship, meant to advertise and add emphasis to the importance if the test format, its likely to be rained out.

So im just hearing after two and a half years to detemine finalists for the inaugural test championship, meant to advertise and add emphasis to the importance if the test format, its likely to be rained out.
Yup what you get for playing in England, honestly I have no idea why this wasn't a timeless test. Or at the very least limited to 450 overs and to be played until they'd been bowled.

On your previous question of Wagner (the weather isn't going to help) on recall Hampshire isn't great for out right pace and hostility. It's similar across England and Wales it's why our current obsession with Archer and Wood feels always off. Not that they shouldn't be playing just a legit English attack should be about swing, line and length.

On balance pick your two best seamers and best spinner. Work out the rest of the team from there, if your third best seamer isn't a **** batsman pick a lesser one who can bat a bit. If you have the luxury of an seaming all rounder pick him. That's my personal opinion if your spinning all rounder is legit your best spinner by all means pick him but from I saw of Patel and Santner (bearing in mind I only watch NZ test cricket when we play you), Patel was clearly a lot better.

Yup what you get for playing in England, honestly I have no idea why this wasn't a timeless test. Or at the very least limited to 450 overs and to be played until they'd been bowled.

On your previous question of Wagner (the weather isn't going to help) on recall Hampshire isn't great for out right pace and hostility. It's similar across England and Wales it's why our current obsession with Archer and Wood feels always off. Not that they shouldn't be playing just a legit English attack should be about swing, line and length.

On balance pick your two best seamers and best spinner. Work out the rest of the team from there, if your third best seamer isn't a **** batsman pick a lesser one who can bat a bit. If you have the luxury of an seaming all rounder pick him. That's my personal opinion if your spinning all rounder is legit your best spinner by all means pick him but from I saw of Patel and Santner (bearing in mind I only watch NZ test cricket when we play you), Patel was clearly a lot better.
kinda what i suspected.

yeah santner isnt really much of a wicket taker in tests, plays more the all rounder role. Good biwler in shorter formats.

based on your philosophy we pick boult, southee, patel, henry is third seamer in these conditions but isnt that good at batting, wagner is ranked 4th best test bowler in the world but doesnt suit the conditions and isnt that good with the bat, so jamieson gets the spot wth de granhomme a batting all rounder.

team would be
Conway
Latham
Williamson
Taylor
Nichols
Watling
De grandhomme
Jamieson
Patel
Southeee
Boult

Team is as predicted, though it seems like there is a bit more bounce than expected si maybe not the worst selection. Could have gone with patel over de grandhomme though, bowlers are more important than batters if you dont get 5 days

204808716_3068938106719864_8020949292955448885_n.jpg

Good game of cricket and glad NZ won and they actually did have a reserve day that led to a result. I think if India had won by default without a full 5 days it would of been a pretty bad considering the point of the concept.

I'd like to see more reserve days next time, always in a neutral country (I think this time it was luck), and make it at least a 3 match series. Oh and stop calling it "The Ultimate Test"

Good game of cricket and glad NZ won and they actually did have a reserve day that led to a result. I think if India had won by default without a full 5 days it would of been a pretty bad considering the point of the concept.

I'd like to see more reserve days next time, always in a neutral country (I think this time it was luck), and make it at least a 3 match series. Oh and stop calling it "The Ultimate Test"
3 games in three different countries would be fun.

3 games in three different countries would be fun.
Should say I posted about the three match thing before I saw Kohli's sour grapes (he's right but shouldn't be saying it in the aftermath of having lost). Like that idea though.

This is pathetic from England. More afraid of losing than of trying to win. Awful, negative tactics. They deserve to draw this game.

This is pathetic from England. More afraid of losing than of trying to win. Awful, negative tactics. They deserve to draw this game.
I just want to see the back of Silverwood and Root (as captain) honestly don't think we have a clue in selection or tactics. Selection wise I have no idea why Leach and Overton are left serving drinks when they have best record in the past 2 seasons (even longer for Leach) in the County Championship as England qualified bowlers yet we pick Curran (who does nothing red ball wise) and Ali (long past his best). Then we never seam to want to win games.

Root also needs to bat at 3, more or less doing it anyway and needs to protect a few players down the order than bring new guys in. No idea what we do with with openers I think Burns and Crawley but no one is sticking their hand up.

What do you guys think of the whole Quinton de Kock saga???
I don't like Cricket SA have enforced it, on equal measure its a shame they felt they had to.

If QDK isn't willing to publicly talk about his reasons its a weird 'stand' to take. There's a fair argument he shouldn't have to but I don't think it helps his cause that he won't say why.

Just for further context, yeah QDK really needs to explain himself. He won't take the knee but other players who stood originally clearly from the photo agreed to show solidarity in other ways and he's refused to engage in that as well. Having a joint message but not all kneeling is what F1 drivers did, it was a cop out in my view but its fine and solved the issue some drivers refused. QDK is point blankly refusing to engage.

Latest posts