• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rassie

Well guys, let`s talk about Currie Cup!

First of all it`s us, Cheetahs, running the competition! Of course this was predictable considering we won last seanson (previous Currie Cup win was in 76)! Last week we beat WP, which is the highlight of Currie Cup for me! Kicking those Kaapstader`s arses gives me huge satisfaction!

Who will make it this year?

Cheetahs: top position so far
Sharks: second but equal in terms of points with us
Bulls: hope to meet them in the final
WP: lose you kaapstaders, lose
Lions: awful start, nice comeback
Kimberley boys (Grinquas): slim to none chances but they were a pleasant surprise so far
Falcons and Pumas: as expected! Big dissapointment for Pumas!

So, how do you think the Sprinboks come back into Currie Cup teams will change the current standings? It will make a difference?

I hope the the Boks returning to the Bulls will have a positive impact on the team. I hope the Bulls make it to the final and win it, but then they'll have to pick up there game a bit because they've been dissapointing at home. Hope we can beat the Sharks on the weekend!

You always have decent crowds at Loftus! For instance, last week, vs Pumas , there were smth like 10,000 ppl despite the fact that the game was expected to be only a training game (and it was a training session)!

I`m happy somehow because there is an improvement in terms of spectators this season (and in the previous season there was a slight improvement)!

The Bulls squad looks good for the Sharks game this weekend. Hopefully the Bulls can pull one out the bag. Spies, P3, Danie Russouw, Wynand Olivier and Anakonda Ndungane are starting. Its gonna be a cracker.

Well, I guessed it... Bulls 50, Sharks 36. GO BULLS!

Pierre Spies for player of the year.

What a match! The score that the Sharks put on the board is actually flattering. Did you see the sharks want to buy Habana, Bakkies and Olivier?! Drolle. I hope they stay at the Bulls.

I highly enjoyed that game.

Bull, I saw that the Sharks are looking to poach Habana, WO, and Bakkies... But Heineke Meyer sayd he is trying his best to keep them, and believes that they are loyal to the Bulls. He also said that he doesn't want anyone playing for the Bulls that don't truelly WANT to play for the Bulls. So we'll see what happens.

Saw on superrugby.co.za that they are staying at the Bulls. Moffie Sharks.

How is the Currie cup organized? How many teams? How many rounds? How are the provinces built up? Are they selection of the best club players of a province?

There are 14 teams in the Currie Cup, 8 teams in the Premier Division and 6 in the First division. It's suppose to be strength against strength, but only 5 teams are really competitive. Namely the Bulls, Cheetahs, Sharks, WP and Lions.

I think the team that finishes last gets relegated from the premier division and the team finishing top off the firts division gets promoted for the following year, but I'm not sure.

Each temas plays each other twice, one at home and one away. Provinces don't really use club players, the players progress through U/19 and U/21 teams to play for there respective provincial teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currie_Cup

As far as I know, qualifying for the CC is as follows: The top 6 teams of the previous season are in for the next season. Then during the Vodacom Cup(which runs during the Super 14), qualifying happens for the CC. Thats how the Valke got in and I guess the Pumas too. But it was a long time coming seeing that the Pumas and Valke were in the CC 1st Devision final last year.

But Bull's means of qualifying would work better. the relegating and promoting of the worst and best teams respectively.

There are 14 teams in the Currie Cup, 8 teams in the Premier Division and 6 in the First division. It's suppose to be strength against strength, but only 5 teams are really competitive. Namely the Bulls, Cheetahs, Sharks, WP and Lions.

I think the team that finishes last gets relegated from the premier division and the team finishing top off the firts division gets promoted for the following year, but I'm not sure.

Each temas plays each other twice, one at home and one away. Provinces don't really use club players, the players progress through U/19 and U/21 teams to play for there respective provincial teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currie_Cup
[/b]

I understand then that the Rugby clubs in SA are weak.

In Europe the provinces are strong in the Celtic nations. In France the provinces are involved in a European turnament but this is amateur Rugby.

Not really mate. See, the Blue Bulls are the same team known as the Bulls in the Super 14(they came 4th for two years running). The Sharks are also the same team in the S14(narrowly missed 4th place). Western Province is known as the Stormers, the Cats are the Lions comprised also of the Valke and some other Unions. The Cheetahs in the S14 are comprised of Free State and Griquas. Basically all of the unions are involved in the S14. These teams aren't weak, and neither is the Competition. I mean, Its the premier domestic competition of one of the World's all time rugby superpowers.

Australia are now moving to this format for their shiny new APC tournament. NZ have the same kind of format, except their players are drafted into the teams.

Not really mate. See, the Blue Bulls are the same team known as the Bulls in the Super 14(they came 4th for two years running). The Sharks are also the same team in the S14(narrowly missed 4th place). Western Province is known as the Stormers, the Cats are the Lions comprised also of the Valke and some other Unions. The Cheetahs in the S14 are comprised of Free State and Griquas. Basically all of the unions are involved in the S14. These teams aren't weak, and neither is the Competition. I mean, Its the premier domestic competition of one of the World's all time rugby superpowers.

Australia are now moving to this format for their shiny new APC tournament. NZ have the same kind of format, except their players are drafted into the teams.
[/b]

Sorry but I am lost what is called a province team in Europe is the selection of the best players of the Rugby clubs of the province. In professional Rugby that's likely that the player spend actually much more time with the province than with his club, I think that for example BOD is in theory still with Black rock (Anh Tarb can correct for sure) but spend all his time with Leinster.

I understand that in SA the clubs are not in the professional Rugby but that there are provincial teams such as the Bulls or the WP which are involved in the professional championships such as the Currie cup or the S14.

Is my understanding wrong?

In the Southern Hemisphere there isn't really clubs like the ones in the North. NZ, SA, OZ have provincial teams like Bay of Plenty, Waraths, Blue Bulls, etc. They are the same as the teams playing in the Magners League or Top14 like Toulouse and Leicster. The NH teams claim to be club sides, but I beg to differ they are more provincial and like a franchise.

In SA, NZ and Oz there are also club competitions and these teams are normally semi-pro or amateurs. There are clubs that have provincial or national players that play for them from time to time.

In the Southern Hemisphere there isn't really clubs like the ones in the North. NZ, SA, OZ have provincial teams like Bay of Plenty, Waraths, Blue Bulls, etc. They are the same as the teams playing in the Magners League or Top14 like Toulouse and Leicster. The NH teams claim to be club sides, but I beg to differ they are more provincial and like a franchise.

In SA, NZ and Oz there are also club competitions and these teams are normally semi-pro or amateurs. There are clubs that have provincial or national players that play for them from time to time.
[/b]

The Stade Toulousain is one the Rugby clubs of the city of Toulouse, it's not the team of the province Midi-Pyrénées where there are many other clubs with some of them professional such as the Castres Olympique, the Sporting Club d'Albi, Montauban, Colomiers, etc. etc.

In the Stade Toulousain you can start playing Rugby at 6 or 7 like Frédéric Michalak or Clément Poitrenaud for example.

They are not franchise either, they can be relegated to ProD2 or even Fédérale 1 the highest amateur division.

There are neverthless pprovinces in amateur Rugby which are selection of the best players of Fédérale 1 clubs. Last season, the province of Provence won the European championship of provinces.

It works differently over there than here. Down here you play for your age group up untill u/21. Thereafter you move to the Union team.

e.g. as a youngster you can start your carreer playing for your school. If your school is in the vacinity of, say, the Blue Bulls Rugby Union, and you are good enough, you can play for the Blue Bulls u/19 team. As you get older(or better) you can move to the u/21 team. Once you are good enough you move up to the Blue Bulls team. You may be required to play the Vodacom Cup which runs the same time as the Super 14, before you will be selected for the Super 14 team. The Super 14 team is basically the top level before international, and features the best players from South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia. The Currie Cup starts just after the international season. This is a good way to blood new players. The Springbok players join the Currie Cup in the latter part of the season, and it's good because then the players have something to work for. It's very competitive, and is often the step before Springbok level.

Andy, come on, the nursery of SA rugby is in Oranje and Transvaal!

Pretoria vs Bloem, this is the debate!

P.S: Keep those shitty buggers from Kaapstad away!

Amazing Currie Cup games last week! We manage to beat Sharks, Lions outclassed WP, it`s all in the open! Evreything it`s possible in the last run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts