• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Derailed Threads

to be serious a bit, about derailing threads: sometimes a topic just pops up. Like most recently on the Ireland vs S.A. thread the topic of scrummaging (new scrum laws, shorter guys vs bigger guys in the front row). I understand it's complete mayhem if we make it into a conversation of its own within a thread designated for a specific test match, but it only lasted a few posts, I'm not the law in any measure but I'd say that perhaps is okay ?

Then of course there's the complete random derailing of threads, often just to add a bit of silly humor, which is clearly a pestilence of the modern day, and that, I do declare, I do not tolerate under any circumcision okay stop looking at me like that I'm sorry...I'M SORREHH !!!!!

On the topic of derailed threads.

How about taking a bit of responsibility at your end and if a thread has gone off topic, instead of adding to it just bring it back on topic that way any attempted derail gets stopped easy.

Is that not so hard

I actually agree with this.. and you're right.

to be serious a bit, about derailing threads: sometimes a topic just pops up. Like most recently on the Ireland vs S.A. thread the topic of scrummaging (new scrum laws, shorter guys vs bigger guys in the front row). I understand it's complete mayhem if we make it into a conversation of its own within a thread designated for a specific test match, but it only lasted a few posts, I'm not the law in any measure but I'd say that perhaps is okay ?

Then of course there's the complete random derailing of threads, often just to add a bit of silly humor, which is clearly a pestilence of the modern day, and that, I do declare, I do not tolerate under any circumcision okay stop looking at me like that I'm sorry...I'M SORREHH !!!!!

You talking about derailed threads ha ha your the best for it

Well, I'm with you here. I find it extremely frustrating when a thread gets derailed. The mods said they would patrol it more carefully, but I haven't seen any results as of yet. There was also a suggestion to invoke the 2week ban for people who do it on a constant basis, but I guess it was just a suggestion...

Anyways, Mods need to address this, as it seems that it's becoming an epidemic.

Haha, yeah I thought the exact same thing!

I hate SARS and their bloody taxes system!

On a serious note this underlines the hypocrisy of our members. Do we want people to stay on topic? Yes we do, and if you have paid attention over the last week staff such as Draggs has been continually getting discussions back on topic. But as you yourself also just demonstrated, even the people who ***** and moan about derailed threads are happy to participate in threads being derailed, so long as the topic that has changed seems to be interesting/funny/evocative to them. We are making a more concerted effort to get people to stay on topic, but we are a handful of people who do this in what free time we have. We can't go gung-ho on people derailing threads unless a majority of members attempt to keep on topic. We will continue to do our best to keep threads on topic as it is a serious concern of the staff - but I feel it's the members jobs to also keep threads on topic by not being so damn reactionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
@TRF_nikdnz

We all derail, none of us are innocent, but the odd post here and there is a bit different to it completely taking over the thread and making it a complete mess needing MOD intervention.

I agree though we all have to be a bit more responsible about keeping discussions on topic. I have blocked people i think derail/annoy me, and there are couple of threads that when i open them there is half a page missing :) lol!

Well, I'm with you here. I find it extremely frustrating when a thread gets derailed. The mods said they would patrol it more carefully, but I haven't seen any results as of yet. There was also a suggestion to invoke the 2week ban for people who do it on a constant basis, but I guess it was just a suggestion...

Anyways, Mods need to address this, as it seems that it's becoming an epidemic.

And people just complain about it instead of advising a member of staff that it is a problem. Not every member of staff reads every thread. If its such a difficult issue to handle, help police it. It really is not that hard.

And as has been said - if a thread is going down the wrong road, put it back on the right road. Again, it really is not that hard.

If someone sees a thread has gone off topic, it will be dealt with. But logistics dictate that we are not like Sauron's Eye - we can't see everything. Sometimes we need telling.

You talking about derailed threads ha ha your the best for it 

I very much appreciate and respect your choice of word there, "the best for". You understand the value of the occult arts...
Regards..

And people just complain about it instead of advising a member of staff that it is a problem. Not every member of staff reads every thread. If its such a difficult issue to handle, help police it. It really is not that hard.

And as has been said - if a thread is going down the wrong road, put it back on the right road. Again, it really is not that hard.

If someone sees a thread has gone off topic, it will be dealt with. But logistics dictate that we are not like Sauron's Eye - we can't see everything. Sometimes we need telling.

"advising a member of staff" - Do you mean to report the matter? if so, then I don't get it, because as TRF_Hulkster has pointed out, the report system is being abused. So what must we do? PM a certain mod? That's all well and good, but to be honest, the PM's aren't responded to very quickly at times, and then by the time the Mod reads the PM, the thread has gone off the rails completely.

As GN10 stated, we all are guilty of this, my SARS post didn't in any way derail this thread, so I don't know why it is being singled out. But I try to keep it on topic, and if you look at the threads I comment on, you will quite regularly see me asking for the users to stay on topic. Even though it's not always adhered to.

"advising a member of staff" - Do you mean to report the matter? if so, then I don't get it, because as TRF_Hulkster has pointed out, the report system is being abused. So what must we do? PM a certain mod? That's all well and good, but to be honest, the PM's aren't responded to very quickly at times, and then by the time the Mod reads the PM, the thread has gone off the rails completely.

As GN10 stated, we all are guilty of this, my SARS post didn't in any way derail this thread, so I don't know why it is being singled out. But I try to keep it on topic, and if you look at the threads I comment on, you will quite regularly see me asking for the users to stay on topic. Even though it's not always adhered to.
If one is reporting things that should be reported, it's not being abused.

Look lads, this isn't that hard. I apologise that we don't have a manual to go with the forum, so use your best judgment, and relax.

If one is reporting things that should be reported, it's not being abused.

Look lads, this isn't that hard. I apologise that we don't have a manual to go with the forum, so use your best judgment, and relax.

Fair enough, but this doesn't answer my question. How should we advise a member of staff about this problem?

Fair enough, but this doesn't answer my question. How should we advise a member of staff about this problem?

Tell people to stay on topic. If they don't, report it.

Same with trolls other annoying behaviour etc....

As Draggs has already said - use the report function if attempts to get the thread back on track have failed.

The report function has been getting abused recently because people (and people who should know better, at that) were using it to complain when other members had a different opinion to theirs. If you don't want to use the report function, send a PM.

At the end of the day we are all volunteers and deal with things as and when we can. I'm disinclined to drop everything because someone has started talking about blueberries in a thread about scrums. We do the best we can, we're not all seeing and all knowing.

If someone is derailing a thread, take the following steps:

1) Attempt to bring the thread back round yourself.
2) If 1 does not work, use the Report function or PM a mod or admin who will get back to you as and when they're available to do so.

Not hard.

Latest posts