• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

District 9 - Aliens in Johannesburg!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goranski @ May 25 2009, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ May 22 2009, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goranski @ May 21 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
first impression: low budget b alien movie[/b]

Peter Jackson producing a low budget film? Lol. You are seriously deluded.
[/b][/quote]

well i tell you what I'll go watch it when it's out here and give you my verdict

it appears to be a vain attempt at a cloverfield-esque dramamentary style of film - in the previews in the U.S. it's being pushed as just "District 9" without the ridiculous "Aliens in Johannesburg" subtitle, confuse the masses and they will come.
[/b][/quote]
Why is ''Aliens in Johannesburg'' ridiculous? It's not confusing at all, you'd have to be pretty stupid to find that confusing.
And it's opviously not a 'Cloverfield-esque' film from the 2nd trailer, and even if it was, it wouldn;t be copying Cloverfield, as it comes from a short documentary type film made by Neill Blomkamp, which if I'm correct, was made before Cloverfield.

People just need to remember that this isn't a high budget film, the CG is all done by south african companies and this is basically Peter and Niel trying to prove that they can make the Halo movie, which is what they really want to be doing.

I think this movie takes influences from District 6 during apartheid and the xenophobic attacks from last year. Basically a large number of cape malay's ( the ingenious ethnic group in the Cape) that stayed in an area called District 6 were forced to move because it was declared a whites-only area. It was a big stir up back in the 60's. Hence the aliens being kicked out of District 9 (6 swapped around). Then the other link is to the xenophobic attacks that happened in black townships where 60-odd foreigners were killed because the indigenous black Africans accused them of taking all the jobs. Hence the violence shown against the aliens for taking money from the citizens.

Or maybe I'm paranoid...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 30 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Or maybe I'm paranoid...[/b]
Well you know what they say: just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean somebody isn't following you...

/No relevance whatsoever.

The Aliens are being held captive so that we can figure out how their weapons work. Also, this film was NOT locally edited, and the CG was not locally done here either.

EDIT:

meant that the CG isn't done by Jackson's own company, and the cast / crew is South african, also a lot of the work is being shipped to Canadian studios.

Basically, this isn't a Holywood film

Catching this Saturday if it plays at my local regional cinema complex.

The imdb has it as a kiwi film wtf!!!!! U.S money, Kiwi production, but film in the Republican with Saffa Director and crew, sounds like a South African movie to me folks.

Reviews so far are extremely positive. It's being hailed as one of the best, and most important movies in sci-fi history...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/district_9/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
District 9 is hands down the best film of the summer and has made me love movies all over again. It's engaging, explosive, and pure nonstop awesomeness - it's what big summer movies are supposed to be.[/b]

Interesting. 'One of the best sci-fi movies of all time' is a bit of a stretch though, but I guess I'll need to see it for myself.

Typical we aren't getting it 'til the 4th of September.

So going to watch this on the weekend.
Nice to see some positive reviews, but I'll keep my judgement for until after I get to watch it.

Odd about it being listed as a Kiwi film, probably because of Peter Jackson producing it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Aug 12 2009, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Interesting. 'One of the best sci-fi movies of all time' is a bit of a stretch though, but I guess I'll need to see it for myself.[/b]

Maybe 'best Sci-Fi movies of the year' would be more accurate.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are showing it in the regional centers in Oz :D Will be there sometime Saturday with the team. Expect a review, including sniping at the Bokke ;)

I thought it was Halo until they said the ***le. I think it had it's first showing tonight here in New Zealand not sure how it's going to be received but I'm sure because it's Peter Jackson all the Kiwis will get a stiffy.

First results in from Oz.

District 9 opened in top spot overnight just ahead of rom-com The Ugly Truth. Orphan tanked completely as the other major release of the weekend.

District 9 at this stage looks solid for something post $1 million over the opening weekend but will need Saturday to maintain top spot.

I just got a cam of it haven't watched it yet but apparently it made $37 million in America over the weekend and only cost $30 million to make so they've already profited $7 million in the first weekend. Hope it keeps going good and apparently that's a low budget Sci-Fi film gees I'd hate to see how much they spend on regular Sci-Fi movies.

$30 million is nothing in todays budgets, back in 2005 Serenity (still my favorite sci-fi film of all time) cost like $25 million and that was a very low budget.

2012 = $200 million.
Speed Racer was $120 million.
Terminator salvation = $200 million.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Aug 18 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just got a cam of it haven't watched it yet but apparently it made $37 million in America over the weekend and only cost $30 million to make so they've already profited $7 million in the first weekend. Hope it keeps going good and apparently that's a low budget Sci-Fi film gees I'd hate to see how much they spend on regular Sci-Fi movies.[/b]

The Studio generally makes 50% of the gross in North America and the rule of thumb in other markets is 33%. $30 million is for the production and doesn't include prints, marketing etc.

The Yanks generally toss $30 million at a teen orientated horror flick, so no the budget wasn't huge.

Superman Returns cost well over $200 million in comparison.

Watching it tonight. BTW 2 South Africans have directed 2 major films this year (X-Men & District 9).

Latest posts