• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EA Rugby 2008 Discussion Thread

Well, that would seem to make sense. I hope it is included. You just never know.

Wouldn't shock me if they didn't include it. I'd be disappointed, not shocked.

Online play is no longer the future for new next-gen games. Surely Microsoft wouldn't be too happy? Don't they want as high a percentage of online games available as pos?

Another problem is players going into rucks. They just seem to stand there , wait to get into formation and then dive in , by that time its too late. As I've said before , HB aren't likely to change it. As for Online play. I'm not that sure they'll include it. They might have to because of Brian Lara oddly enough. HB will realise that Cricket 08/09 (whatever the next one is) will have to compete. And that will probably allow them to have the Live on the Rugby game aswell.
[/b]

I agree they are a bit slow, but in the right situation you can force a turnover quite frequently. You just have to play a bit to recognise when that situation has occured.

In terms of difficulty. The best way around that is to amend your squad by replacing star players with less able players. i play as England and i changed the squad quite early on. If I hadn't I would have stopped playing the game after about two weeks! I've brought in current players like Lund, Corry and Noon, which is reaslistic as the likes of Dawson etc arn't playing anymore, as well as introduced one or two of my own created players which is a lot of fun. I keep changing the team to keep it interesting. I also recommend going into opposition squads as for some reason the AI don't always pick their best players. I often find great players sitting on the bench or in reserves that should be in the first team!

With my current England squad I have some really challenging games and i've been playing for a year! I just got beaten by the All Blacks in the final of the world cup 13-5 and had a very close game against the Scots 24-17 in the group stages. In the 6 nations I got beat by Wales, Ireland and France - all very close games - nightmare!

(p.s I'm a pretty good player just in case you thought it was just because I was c&^p!)

You need to tweak to suit your playing style as every player has differing abilities and HB can't be expected to cater for everyone. Try editing your squad and I promise you it will change the whole game for you. Happy gaming!

Obviously Microsoft would love all games to be online, but what they dont want is games online that cause them to get negative feedback.

If HB cant do it, they cant do it, no amount of M$ moaning will change that. I mean look at the online on RL2, I really wish they hadnt bothered. There was far too much work still to be done on the single player control aspect before adding in the problem of travelling down miles and miles of cables.

I just hope HB dont to with 2006 what Sidhe managed to do with RL2 which is go backwards ( imho ).

It would be an interesting decision if they did leave it out, considering that most if not all games have some interactivity online. I think even Guitar hero is going to be online play when that is released...

Rugby 08 will most defiently have the World Cup in it, I havent played 06 in a while now, so i am probably not the best to suggest what to have in it...

But there has been some interesting suggestions.

What do you suppose the chances are of EA obtaining the IRB licence again??? (For the first time since about 2000)...

i hope they change the side step animation....its just too long and slow. the current sidestep consists of the player stepping, some sort of a re-balance action and then getting back to the original line of path. 2/3's of the animation is unnecessary.
all we need is a step to the left or right. and the ability to combine the sidesteps. for example flicking the right analogue stick to the left and then right(or maybe shoulder buttons) will make the player sidestep to the left and step back to the right ala christian cullen.

rucks need to be like rugby 2001.
when a player gets tackled, a ruck shouldn't form immediately. support must arrive from both teams. there should be a button which allows the attacking team to hold the ball and the same button for the defending team to steal it. (i think there is already a similar button like that in rugby 06). if the attacking team is holding on to the ball for too long while the defending team is trying to steal it, this should result in a penalty for the defending team.

in a gaming perspective a ruck should be formed when there are atleast 2 attacking supporters are trying to secure the ball from the tackled player.

when a ruck is formed, if the defending team steals the ball, this will result in a penalty.
numbers to the ruck and power applied in the ruck should determine who gets the ball.

rucks are really hard to implement in a rugby game. there is so much you can do before a ruck is formed, stealing the ball, holding the ball, pick and go, pop passing the ball to the runner when tackled player in on the ground.

hopefully we see a new rucking system in rugby 08.

Good question Mr Laxative, if you mean the world cup. All of the licenses that they do have are for tournaments, and although these rights are probably negotiated at an administrative level with the nations involved, it would be interesting to know if the IRB itself has much to do with it.

The IRB would definitely have to be involved at World Cup level, but maybe one of the problems is this. Could all nations in the World Cup have to be consulted with to sign off on player names and squads etc. It begs the question that prehaps the lack of a World Cup could come from an over involved consultation process, as much as a price for rights?

It's possible that naming, likenesses for all 20 nations would be paid to the IRB and then distributed back to those nations. That would become very expensive.

I'm pretty sure I remember that in 1999 there was quite a fuss kicked up by some players in New Zealand about signing away their names and likenesses. I'm not sure if much was understood about it back then, but the main concern of the players seemed to be that they wouldn't get anything out of it. Anyone else remember this?

It's possible that the IRB decided that it was just too big a headache to go through again? Imagine that scenario around all world teams!

All speculation I know, but I guess thats what we do at this stage.

Would be nice to see a qualifying round as well, so we can try to get smaller clubs to qualify...

not doubt the IRB license would be pricey even for EA and it could also be a long process to get every nation to agree to the terms etc. so instead EA take the easier way out and just get licenses for the tournaments which gives them the offical names and likeness anyway at a cheaper price no doubt.

perhaps online and being on the 360 is too much to hope for at once but then again maybe not. there is still plenty of develop time left before the scheduled release and also the game is proabbly likely to be heavily based off 06 which leaves EA/HB with a lot of time twiddling their thumbs or putting online play in. hopefully though they actually do fix up the core gameplay first and leave enough time to put a decent online mode in the game instead of a rush job just before release

Here's hoping! The same improvement level in the game as between '05 and '06 would turn it into a top level game!

I don't think they realize how much potential a great rugby game can have on the expansion of our great game. I mean outside of US before Madden came out no one really gave a toss about American Football, but now I think NFL owes a lot of it's international fan base to the Madden series. So if they could make a game that is somewhere near the stature of Madden we could finally break into the U.S. market and make this the biggest and best Sports video game in the world.
[/b]

I'm in total agreement with you on this one mate! I think it would benefit with our small scene Rugby fans here in the states. If this game is online I am going to love playing the lot of you.

i am 95% sure you cant develop a X360 game without online

its part of the M$ protocol

If there is a X360 version - its online - SIMPLE

I mentioned it earlier on in this post, the last game they made was UEFA C.L. they made that on Xbox360 & online, if that is anything to go by we might get both. Although I would prefer they get A.I. and Rucks ect.. sorted first B4 they toss :toss: around with online. :blink:

<div class='quotemain'>
I don't think they realize how much potential a great rugby game can have on the expansion of our great game. I mean outside of US before Madden came out no one really gave a toss about American Football, but now I think NFL owes a lot of it's international fan base to the Madden series. So if they could make a game that is somewhere near the stature of Madden we could finally break into the U.S. market and make this the biggest and best Sports video game in the world.
[/b]

I'm in total agreement with you on this one mate! I think it would benefit with our small scene Rugby fans here in the states. If this game is online I am going to love playing the lot of you.
[/b][/quote]
It would be fun to link up with you slap heads on the other side of the pond.

ok

what i am saying is that if there is no online there is no X360 version

apart from those dumb party arcade games - all x360 games must be online

M$ will not pass GOLD of online does not exist

Am I right?

The whole point of M$ breaking this market is for online gaming - hence the new vista X360 v PC online capabilities.

The whole point of M$ breaking this market is for online gaming - hence the new vista X360 v PC online capabilities.
[/b]
Do go on...I've never heard of this...!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Do go on...I've never heard of this...!
[/b][/quote]

not sure on the details as i havent even got online at home

but i heard Vista enables PC users to play X360 users online

i dunno if its cranking and stuff - but its in the pipeline of M$ online goals

here

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/8452/52/

Latest posts