• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EA Training Camp

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Feb 9 2005, 10:17 PM
You remember who had the highest team rating?
Also, whats your take on the kicking being the least likeable aspect?
England had 90+ rating but i am sure the lions will be better
kicking is tragic........there's no doubt about it..........whether or not u can attack with the kicking game i dunno, but would be surprised.
maybe on behind cam the kickin game could work better but on side cam, u cant even tell where it will and...........the arc goes out of the screen and there's no line/shadow to show u the angle its on..........heaps deceptive and crap

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Theres 3 world cups - 1999, 2003, 2007[/b]

The World Cups sound interesting. I can't imagine you had a go on any of them as they'd take ages --- but, do you know if Jonah Lomu is present at all in the game?

The reason I ask is that it might mean they've included old rosters for the older tournaments instead of having to use fecking 2005 players in 1999.

Also, 2007 . . . who's to say Chile won't beat the States and make it in . . . wonder if they've got a qualifying round (doubt it) or have Chile available to play?

I'm just thinking out loud, ak, but if you can answer/speculate/bs your way through any of those questions that'd be cool.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 10 2005, 09:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Theres 3 world cups - 1999, 2003, 2007

The World Cups sound interesting. I can't imagine you had a go on any of them as they'd take ages --- but, do you know if Jonah Lomu is present at all in the game?

The reason I ask is that it might mean they've included old rosters for the older tournaments instead of having to use fecking 2005 players in 1999.

Also, 2007 . . . who's to say Chile won't beat the States and make it in . . . wonder if they've got a qualifying round (doubt it) or have Chile available to play?

I'm just thinking out loud, ak, but if you can answer/speculate/bs your way through any of those questions that'd be cool. [/b][/quote]
couldnt hear crowds chants - 30 tvs, 15 ps2's and 15xbox's means u couldnt hear anything...it was all noise.....only a little commentary was clear to hear, otherwise there was too much noise in the room.

jonah lomu = no, i couldnt find him under nz, or hurricanes
i doubt they are old rosters, i think we just get the old draw and pools for the old RWC's.
for 2007 - yeah i assumed the draw and qualifying must be complete for them to have this.......but if not, EA must have just used their imagination.

theres a trophy room to view all ur trophys and there's a tonne of them.......made me think u gotto do each 3 RWC's, which would be cool!
also a stats/achievement page, like in 2004, only it looks like FIFA and other EA products...........it all class in the menus boys, feels like madden!!!

Originally posted by el_tk@Feb 10 2005, 09:45 AM
Is there a create your own legue/cup option? Any new international teams?
didnt see one...locksleys has posted the tourno options page, anything u can do will be in that
whatever intl teams they have i reckon they only have the ones from the 2003 RWC...i do not recall coming across any new intl teams, except the PI's

What did you think about the rucking system -- and then into set plays?

if anyone can remem any extra international teams at all, please let us know...

would be a bit disappointed if only the 20 RWC teams were included - didn't they include more in R2004... about 24/5 or thereabouts ?

cheers for all the info dudes, shame about the kicking game, but perhaps with extended use and plenty of training (great addition) with the right camera angle, some of is will be able to make better use of it

... again, thanks for all the info!

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 10 2005, 09:56 AM
What did you think about the rucking system -- and then into set plays?
a very grey area IMO - i need more time

Rucks were very fiddly - u could tell why u lost it, isolation, or powered over, or big hit lose ball, but i couldt grasp what the ruck metre was trying to tell me.
Unfortunately from my experience rucks R NOT won on skill, but won on the lead-up to the ruck.....ie if ur momentum bar is up, and u play proper phased rugby with numbers at the breakdown, u will never lose a ruck, unless the defense uses the big hit tackle (like WCR), only u lose the ball 75% of the time (with the option of the knock on slider keep in mind)
if u never chose a set play, the ball would go to ground the rugby was ugly
just like 2004, at the base of the ruck
square - #9 picks and runs left
circle - #9 picks and runs right

also i do believe L2 and R2 do pop up passes to forwards on the hit-up from the base of the ruck, where'as L1 and R1 pass to the backs - like 2004

Are the Newport Dragons in the european / heinekan cup section

Also could you explain the differnce between forwards and up on the anologe stick

Originally posted by richllew@Feb 10 2005, 10:41 AM
Are the Newport Dragons in the european / heinekan cup section

Also could you explain the differnce between forwards and up on the anologe stick
well if u running left to right on the screen (side cam), up on the analogue would be sidestep

if ur running up and down (behind cam), up would be forwards

Hopefully a straight forward question.

Can you modify the controls?

I want to buy the xbox version, but the ps2 with the 2 shoulder buttons is often nicer for rugby games. What I've found is that the white and black buttons on the xbox controller are a right pain to use a lot. So I'm worried that the black and white buttons might end up being a more commonly used or something more useful than the standard abyx buttons.

Any idea what the xbox controls are like??

Originally posted by o9mm@Feb 10 2005, 11:13 AM
Hopefully a straight forward question.

Can you modify the controls?

I want to buy the xbox version, but the ps2 with the 2 shoulder buttons is often nicer for rugby games. What I've found is that the white and black buttons on the xbox controller are a right pain to use a lot. So I'm worried that the black and white buttons might end up being a more commonly used or something more useful than the standard abyx buttons.

Any idea what the xbox controls are like??
forget the xbox mate
the controls are shot and cannot be changed - i could not find a controller setup within the game at all.
the xbox version for passing uses the face buttons where square and circle are on ps2 - it has to be a tragic set-up - i cannot comprehend not using shoulder buttons for passing
this idiot tried to tell me the controls on ps2 were square and circle for passing, coz thats what they r on xbox (the corresponding buttons anyway)
but low and behold r1 and L1 was pass on the ps2, so its all good, and that idiot should be fired.
the xbox version looked alot better visually, but the TV's we used werent on the greatest contrast and sharpness setting...one TV was so blurry u couldnt read the small writing.

Cheers for all the info, mate.

Can't think of anything else to ask.

Come quick, March, come quick.

Ah yes! They are there (The Pacific Islanders that is!!!) On my version tho, the all blacks are rated a massive 91 and you can't choose the Lions from the off in the representative section!

As for the Xbox version! I can't believe they'd make X and B pass buttons!!!! That's just ridiculous!

My mate is a massive JLR fan and he is hugely interested in Rugby games! He thought 2001 was ok, HATED rugby 2004, thought WCR was ridiculously arcadey and he's not too sure about Rugby 2005!!!!

He said that after extended play, there were some annoying things becoming apparent! Such as: (In his own words)

Tackle animations that stop you passing!
The attacker slows slightly to allow the diving tackler to hit you
The rucks are completely Random
You don't need to step, fend or charge to play, in fact, it does nothing to help!
No offloads
Abslolute shocking kicking system
Far too many penalties for offsides
The defending really stinks! Especially when the attack is using a set play

And, after a few more games (and him losing, it has to be said), he threw his pad down and said "That's it for me! No way am I buying that **** when it comes out! Do you know what???? It's like Rugby 2004 but with better tackling and better running."

I couldn't believe he'd said that! I was really, really enjoying it. Taking my time, building phases and keeping my defence incredibly strong! He must've had a bad day! He is right with some of the things he's mentioned, but I think he's being way too harsh! And it does get more noticable the more you play! But, it's still the best Rugby game I've played yet, and I'm looking forward to buying the Xbox version when it comes out.

hey locks if you're still in... just wondering in the xbox version, is there a way to configure the controls?

Originally posted by viperun@Feb 10 2005, 12:39 PM
hey locks if you're still in... just wondering in the xbox version, is there a way to configure the controls?
I've no idea! I haven't played the Xbox version! But it'll be the same basically as the PS2 version, so I'd say no, you probably can't!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
this idiot tried to tell me the controls on ps2 were square and circle for passing, coz thats what they r on xbox (the corresponding buttons anyway)[/b]

Did you actually play the box version at the training camp? Or is this purely going
off what you got told?? I think I'll choose to believe that the guy is an idiot(as you said) and didn't know any of the controls.

X and B would be stupid as the pass buttons.

Latest posts