• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EA Training Camp

Originally posted by o9mm@Feb 10 2005, 01:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
this idiot tried to tell me the controls on ps2 were square and circle for passing, coz thats what they r on xbox (the corresponding buttons anyway)

Did you actually play the box version at the training camp? Or is this purely going
off what you got told?? I think I'll choose to believe that the guy is an idiot(as you said) and didn't know any of the controls.

X and B would be stupid as the pass buttons. [/b][/quote]
i kid u not thats what the xbox controls are

its that stupid, it nearly unbelievable, so i see why u continue to persist
i never played the xbox version but i saw plenty of people that did, and they were hitting face buttons to pass the ball, not shoulder buttons

Originally posted by ak47+Feb 10 2005, 01:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Feb 10 2005, 01:22 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-o9mm
@Feb 10 2005, 01:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
this idiot tried to tell me the controls on ps2 were square and circle for passing, coz thats what they r on xbox (the corresponding buttons anyway)

Did you actually play the box version at the training camp? Or is this purely going
off what you got told?? I think I'll choose to believe that the guy is an idiot(as you said) and didn't know any of the controls.

X and B would be stupid as the pass buttons. [/b]
i kid u not thats what the xbox controls are

its that stupid, it nearly unbelievable, so i see why u continue to persist
i never played the xbox version but i saw plenty of people that did, and they were hitting face buttons to pass the ball, not shoulder buttons [/b][/quote]
When you think about it you know, that's not such a bad idea after all!!!!

Saves you having to find the black button to sprint, take your finger off it, tap stick to step, put finger back on! This way, the right trigger will run and the left trigger will change player! I could get used to that! They'd probably use black and white for grubber and bomb!

Originally posted by richllew@Feb 10 2005, 10:41 AM
Are the Newport Dragons in the european / heinekan cup section

Also could you explain the differnce between forwards and up on the anologe stick
Well the Dragons were in the comp both in 2003/4 and this year, so even if the squads are out of date by a season... you'll still get them

... interestingly, if the squads are out by a year and the european 2003/4 teams are used, it'll allow us to use the Celtic Warriors team as a spare team (seeing as they dissolved) to fiddle with the squad as we see fit to create any other team (tho the name, jersey etc will remain)

... I do think that we'll have this years teams tho - the fact that one of the teams involved in 2003/4 dissolved means they could hardly include them... could they?

E... A... Sports...... It's in the Game (but not in real life eh!)

Originally posted by locksley@Feb 10 2005, 01:35 PM
As for the Xbox version! I can't believe they'd make X and B pass buttons!!!!  That's just ridiculous! 
It feels good to be a PS2 owner now. Sounds like it is a much better lay out than XBox.

Tackle animations that stop you passing!
Yeah, that is a bit of a problem but oh well.
The attacker slows slightly to allow the diving tackler to hit you
Oh well, better than the magical tackle physics of other games.
The rucks are completely Random
Really? Do you think so too locksley? They look good to me, if you're isolated you lose just like real rugby. Is this guy a league fan by any chance?
You don't need to step, fend or charge to play, in fact, it does nothing to help!
I hope that's not true.
No offloads
Again, a bit of a problem but oh well.
Abslolute shocking kicking system
Seems that several people don't like this, I didn't think it was that bad in the videos.
Far too many penalties for offsides
Surely that's his problem? He just needs to get back onside.
The defending really stinks! Especially when the attack is using a set play
Really?

seems like all that dudes views are a bit extremist

... there are some tackles in real life that stop you passing
... as JJ said
... others have said the rucks are quite tactical (and true to real life)
... you don't need to do any of those things to play in real life either, but they help - I reckon in the game they will help in some situations (the right situations!)
... well we've known this for a while, a bit problematic, but just pass a spilt second earlier
... agree with JJ, it doesn't seem too bad, perhaps difficult and not as much distance as you like, but still useable after you get used to it I hope(the AI used it reasonably well in the Chiefs v Blues match video)
... get onside then?
... locksley has said the defending can be quite enjoyable when u're used to it

... seems like the dude just wasn't keen on the game (perhaps he does prefer League) from the start

I agree with locksley. The controls won't be too bad on Xbox. It's just very different which put me off at first. But when you really think about it, you should be able to get used to it.

Still getting it on PS2 though.

Originally posted by JJ-@Feb 10 2005, 03:04 PM
You don't need to step, fend or charge to play, in fact, it does nothing to help!
I hope that's not true.
now thats bullshit he proply had a bad day and was a sook......it works for me good!
<

Can anyone tell me - who went to the training camp - what the single player game is like on normal difficulty?

Cheers

J

so what happens to the full version of games after the training camp? did wilson get to take them all away with him again for the next camp in a different city or do the guys at the place/store get to keep them for themselves... and if so, some one of you guys must know somebody, who knows somebody who works there - possible of a more hands on with the game perhaps?

also, if thats the full game that you dudes got to play at the camp... why are EA gonna make us wait another month to buy it if its already fit to go - its not as tho they are gonna make any changes to the gameplay at this late stage (kicking?)... fair enough if there are another few camps to get through, but release the game in late Feb, not mid-late March !!!

please ?

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Feb 11 2005, 04:16 AM
so what happens to the full version of games after the training camp? did wilson get to take them all away with him again for the next camp in a different city or do the guys at the place/store get to keep them for themselves... and if so, some one of you guys must know somebody, who knows somebody who works there - possible of a more hands on with the game perhaps?

also, if thats the full game that you dudes got to play at the camp... why are EA gonna make us wait another month to buy it if its already fit to go - its not as tho they are gonna make any changes to the gameplay at this late stage (kicking?)... fair enough if there are another few camps to get through, but release the game in late Feb, not mid-late March !!!

please ?
I think the reason its march and not now is down to marketing - they need to design and print the packaging, posters, arrange distribution etc - so you can see there is a fair amount of work to do before they can actually release the game onto the market. This is why there is a significant window between game completion and release date.

yeah, but they've had the images for the box art up since early January... its not as tho there is alot of designing to go into an EA product, they have a generic white/plain background, featured player Rugby 2005 logo - all of which has been seen (not the NZ one tho?) for quite some time.
The info on the back of the box has also been on the go for quite a while too, it was featured on pre-book boxes in a game store down in Aus that someone on the form got mobile phone pictures from.

So if that was all done before January's end there should not be that much more to do. Perhaps the booklet had to be worked on, but if its like any other EA game, they will follow a fairly generic formula for that and it won't be the most in depth booklet youll ever see.

Fair enough about the distribution, though I doubt it takes 2 months to organise???

... would dearly like the game as soon as posibble as opposed to waiting for EA to decide when would suit them best financially... anyways, my questioning is not gonna change anything - I'll have to wait like the majority of others here to get a taste of the game

(and I really hope that my first taste is not a 1 half playable demo!)

For anyone who has played the game how effective are the fends, sidesteps etc there are mixed messages on this foum?

Cheers

did u all feel tempted to brake into the game housing open it up and run home with the game
<
because if u did that means it going to be the sickest game

Originally posted by Brumbies_05@Feb 11 2005, 09:04 AM
did u all feel tempted to brake into the game housing open it up and run home with the game
<
because if u did that means it going to be the sickest game
dude

on countless occasions i felt like running out with the ps2

if they werent taped up, i would have ejected and grabbed a disc 100%

they had plenty of security and if there wasnt a lift to get into, my mate would have done the pick and bolt!!!

For those with controller issues about the X-Box version, I know there is a device you can buy for the X-Box which allows you to plug in a PS2 controller and set which buttons do what. It plugs into the controller port and the PS2 controller.
This may sort out any major issues people have with the X-Box controls.

Serious question -- did Rugby 2005 succeed at all with the weather conditions?

I remember in Lomu they offered playing in the South African sunshine, or the grey cover of Englands clouds, etc -- which, though very small and simple -- added a brilliant touch and was quite nice.

Anyway, has anyone come across this in the different venues they've played?

Originally posted by jimmy44@Feb 11 2005, 05:29 AM
For anyone who has played the game how effective are the fends, sidesteps etc there are mixed messages on this foum?

Cheers
It comes down to timing. But the learning curve is hard, you have take the below into consideration.

- Attacking Strength
- Defenders Strength
- Timing
- Speed

Out of th 3 fends i actually got in 2 hours of playing only one of them was worth a mention, the other two were stock standard pushes ala Rugby 2001. The one im refering to is quite incredible because i pressed the analog stick at the same time as been tackled then a few frames later the tackler just got pushed away. One second i thought i was tackled then next thing you ive brushed a tackler away. Brilliant.

Its going to take alot time to master but you will have to know the capablilites of each player in the squad.

Latest posts