• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh v Munster: Heineken Cup Quarter Final

Carberry definitely made the right decision. He can round his game in one position as the undisputed number one for years to come. He's #ourboy
My second favourite team v some Irish team.

Come on Edinburgh.
Yeah huge rise for Cockerill as well. Going from coaching a championship side to a team doing only slightly worse than the mighty Treviso in the world's finest rugby league.

100% agree on Zebo too. Thing is he is an active player and is relevant to some extent. On Francis he is on declining figures for his column and is being forced upon us. But even so if he is he should at least have facts correct like it's impossible to win a Slam and not be 6Nations Champions.

@Leinster Fan it's very possible Joey wins more at Leinster than Munster as no guarantee of Munster winning anything. But if he were to do it at Munster I feel it may a tad more as it's his ship to steer. Munster actually have a good record of producing 10s. Thing that has hurt us last few years is decline in Schools game here. But that is improving.
In fairness to Joey moving was definitely the right choice for him. His position as second choice for Ireland but third choice for Leinster was untenable. He needed to be a first choice for a big team, he's 23 now and he was semi-stagnating last season.

In fairness to Joey moving was definitely the right choice for him. His position as second choice for Ireland but third choice for Leinster was untenable. He needed to be a first choice for a big team, he's 23 now and he was semi-stagnating last season.
Well more as a 10 you need to be a 10 and that is it. I've said same about JJ Hanrahan, Ian Madigan and others. When you start being shipped around you regress as a 10. Joey has hugely improved as a 10 and got confidence as a starting 10. Like he was neck and neck with Byrne last year as number 2 for Leinster. Now he has really blown hugely clear of whoever is number 3 and us closer to Sexton than closer to number 3. Byrne has went from being in squad to number 4.

The value of starting games regularly especially big games as a 10 is huge.
I must add I do believe Byrne is a superb 10 and will be regular international in years to come too.

Anyway on to game and well we due to fly tomorrow morning and have sessuon in Murrayfield but from sounds of it the Irish Welsh game may sound as good prep judging by weather

Munster fairly comfortable favourites I'd say, I think a few of the Irish lads are getting the Kinsella take on it from the 42.ie

(https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/edinburgh-v-munster/winner)

In any case it is a decent Edinburgh pack, a very strong back row, but I don't think it'll be enough sadly. You can run at the 13/wing channel and get a lot of success, and Pyrgos is probably 4th in the Scottish scrum half rugby ranks.

On a personal note, we've got a dozen or so lads coming over from Ireland to watch so going to be loads of fun nonetheless.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (C), Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Goggin.

Strong team as expected. Only strange thing is we have no back three cover on the bench while Bleyendaal could cover center if needed. Just a small thing.

Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (C), Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Dan Goggin.

Strong team as expected. Only strange thing is we have no back three cover on the bench while Bleyendaal could cover center if needed. Just a small thing.
Goggin has covered wing all year. No risk there. Jacko picked for a reason and well every selection justified. Sweetnam unlucky and Alby very unlucky not to start but well it's showtime baby we taking off.

Edinburgh team to face Munster at BT Murrayfield in the Heineken Champions Cup Quarter-Final on Saturday 30 March (kick-off 12.45pm) – live on Channel 4 and BT Sport
15. Darcy Graham (20)
14. Damien Hoyland (60)
13. James Johnstone (39)
12. Chris Dean (84)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (37)
10. Jaco van der Walt (36)
9. Henry Pyrgos (20
1. Pierre Schoeman (19)
2. Stuart McInally (133) CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (130)
4. Ben Toolis (106)
5. Grant Gilchrist (133)
6. John Barclay (1)
7. Hamish Watson (96)
8. Viliame Mata (56)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (195); 17. Allan Dell (58); 18. Simon Berghan (63); 19. Magnus Bradbury (61); 20. Jamie Ritchie (61); 21. Charlie Shiel (3); 22. Simon Hickey (17); 23. Mark Bennett (16)

lock replacement could be a big issue.

As is 9.

The Edinburgh 9-15 should not be giving Munster a sleepless night, although all are good club players. I think Graham will be okay at 15 if his positioning is okay (which has to be a huge questionmark). I don't know if Ritchie could be used as a replacement lock in an emergency.

Munster by 6

lock replacement could be a big issue.

As is 9.

I think Bill Mata at 6 ft 6 can step in as lock if need be with Ritchie coming into the backrow.

Game of the day - can't wait. Let's hope the Munster flight ends up in Dusseldorf before making it to Edinburgh later tonight :p

Apparently D'Arcy has played fullback a wee bit at u20, which is better than nothing.

Even if they score, I hate Edinburgh turning down kickable points in a game guaranteed to be a low scoring arm wrestle. I think the decision will be because Jaco van der Walt is not a greater kicker.

Anyone else finding their BT Sport feed is off? The screen settings are off.

Seems a bit off to allow a quick tap while the nearest opposition player is being wrestled to the ground and therefore unable to be involved in the defence. Edinburgh not switched on enough there though. Some boos especially for Munstermuffin!

Cockerill admitting van der Walt isn't good enough to kick the penalties that are on offer and that is why they turned them down. Surprised he is picked ahead of Hickey in such a fixture if that is the case.

Anyone else finding their BT Sport feed is off? The screen settings are off.

It's on Channel 4 too if you are really struggling.

I love when referees just ignore Murray's diving and tell him to get on with it

I'm surprised Edinburgh are having so much joy in the tight. Munster don't seem to have a plan to test D'Arcy either. So maybe this is a coinflip.

Latest posts