• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh v Munster: Heineken Cup Quarter Final

No one's disagreeing with that but can you blame a player for doing it and winning a huge game as a result?

Call him every name under the sun and he's still feeling better than Pyrgos who did the "right" thing in a comparable situation.
What did Pyrgos do right Murray put him to ground and went with him. He was ill disciplined and also slow reacting so cost his team if you watch. 3 players were shouting at ref who could've nailed Earls if stayed alert

All rule breaking is against the spirit of the game.

I'm sure Bernie won't care, nor should he.
But how Munster fans (Not all) can defend him like they are.
Same way Tigers fans defend Neil Back. It's a game of winning and ues Tadgh sold it but equally was hit

What did Pyrgos do right Murray put him to ground and went with him. He was ill disciplined and also slow reacting so cost his team if you watch. 3 players were shouting at ref who could've nailed Earls if stayed alert
Pyrgos didn't theatrically bring attention to foul play, what Murray did should have led to the penalty being reversed and probably a card as well.

Pyrgos didn't theatrically bring attention to foul play, what Murray did should have led to the penalty being reversed and probably a card as well.
True although I doubt Murray was near a yellow but equally Pyrgos refused to give back ball so too. That can be penalised and if every call was done like that then results will always differ. Still it is just covering over Edinburgh lost concentration and got caught

It was cynical and unsportsmanlike by Beirne, but that was amazingly stupid by Schoeman and it was a penalty all day. If Beirne hadn't gone down maybe no one would have noticed it and Edinburgh would have won.

Reminds me of when Eden Hazard was being accused of diving and he basically said that if he didn't go down, defenders would just kick him out of the game and the ref would do nothing because he stayed on his feet.

But realistically things happen at literally every ruck and scrum at every level that 'aren't in the spirit of the game'. The main reason people don't like this is because it exposes the myth that rugby is some kind of 'pure' game in comparison to other sports for the nonsense it is. We're not special at all. Bloodgate was more or less exactly 10 years ago and I still wonder what would have happened if Evans had made that drop goal.

Beirne shouldn't have done it, and if had been a Leinster player I'd be disappointed, but I 100% understand why he did it and it says a lot about the standard of Reffing if players feel they need to do that to point out penalties.

On the other hand, I have no idea how what Murray did wasn't a penalty to Edinburgh.

Latest posts