• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh v Munster: Heineken Cup Quarter Final

Nicely done by Munster, they showed maturity (and opportunism) around the key moments with the tap and go and the penalty reversal where Edinburgh showed a bit of naivety. That resulted in the 14 points that were decisive.

No complaints whatsoever about the ref from my end though.

Better team lost. Cockers has our number. Keith Earls shows why he is a top top winger. Was absolutely brilliant. Edinburgh just lacked experience but better team and Cockers shows he's world class as a coach. Love him as a coach.

As for Edinburgh they are a brilliant team and deserved the win. We got let off. Were out played in pack

Congrats to Munster. May have an element of smash and grab to it but it's about taking chances and stepping up in key moments. Edinburgh will be better for it.

Cockers is outshining Dave Rennie by some distance. He inherited a far worse team than Rennie did and has transformed them. The SRU could do a lot worse than have him as next in line to succeed Townsend who I think may be better suited to the Director of rugby role recently vacated by Scott Johnson.

Edinburgh deserved it I must admit, very much a smash and grab. Think the ref was very very poor. His decisions affected the game a crucial times, from blatant forward passes, one leading up to Edinburgh's try, to a rather harsh reversal of a penalty from kickable position, later leading to Munsters second try. Especially when Munsters first could of easily been also reversed. After Murray's body slam.

Big improvement needed for Sarries. If we don't keep better possession and keep kicking it away every time through box kicks. We could end up the same way Glasgow did.

Happy to see Munster win although I thought Edinburgh just about deserved it. Hopefully Edinburgh retain a large number of those supporters and can regularly fill their new stadium when it opens.

I remain unconvinced by the Munster coaching team who aren't getting the best out of their hugely talented squad. As I noted in another thread, I'm a huge admirer of Régis Sonnes and given his connection to Bandon, think Munster would be wise to keep him in mind if they choose to change their coaching team.

This is damaging to the integrity of the game.

Should be a yellow for simulation. Disgusting.

Just seen the replay of this ... Beirne should be ashamed of himself

Just seen the replay of this ... Beirne should be ashamed of himself
Should be, yes. Will be? His theatrics bought Munster a penalty from which they scored the winning try. He won't lose sleep over it unless he's banned for a week or two.

Beirne getting that peno and Murray getting away with a WWE style job on Pyrgos was the difference. Looking at it idealistically what Beirne did was embarrassing but realistically it was the winning of the game and, in hindsight, Pyrgos will be thinking that he should have stayed down.

It's up for the rule makers to address, fans whining won't stop players doing anything.

Surely simulation is against the spirit of the game?

Gamesmanship of that nature doesn't belong in this sport.

Surely simulation is against the spirit of the game?

Gamesmanship of that nature doesn't belong in this sport.
No one's disagreeing with that but can you blame a player for doing it and winning a huge game as a result?

Call him every name under the sun and he's still feeling better than Pyrgos who did the "right" thing in a comparable situation.

But how Munster fans (Not all) can defend him like they are.
I haven't seen much of it but I won't disagree with you. If it was done by a player on the team I support, I wouldn't like it but if it got the desired result, I'd accept it and say the laws need changing.

Hopefully simulation won't creep into the game in the same way that backchat has.

I've definitely noticed a trend where big or higher ranked teams seem to get the big decisions. Or at least certain players in those teams know how to cheat smartly and will do whatever it takes to get a result. It is down to the authorities to address it and clamp down on it. Opposing fans calling out foul play is not whining IMO. Are they meant to sit in silence and take it on the chin.

Beirne getting that peno and Murray getting away with a WWE style job on Pyrgos was the difference. Looking at it idealistically what Beirne did was embarrassing but realistically it was the winning of the game and, in hindsight, Pyrgos will be thinking that he should have stayed down.

It's up for the rule makers to address, fans whining won't stop players doing anything.
But in reality if Pyrgos was disciplined and listened to ref there wouldn't have been a pen. If Earls didnt score try he was going to bin. Swings and roundabouts. If Tadgh wasn't hit it was a pen to Edinburgh so as the boos rang around Murrayfield how many Scots seen it like that

Latest posts