• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

THP is a potential problem in my opinion. Dan Cole is playing brilliantly, but he's be the oldest RWC player ever if he's still going in 2027. Sinckler is off to France for a few years I hear.

I don't think anyone is shifting Stuart any time soon, but who comes after that? I guess it's Heyes, but really I've got no idea what THP might look like in a few years

The problem is that we don't have any good options ready to go today. However, with Opoku-Fordjour, Sela and Fasogbon coming through it looks as though we have some real potential for the future. Brantingham could be another if Saracens prefer him at tighthead (which could be very possible given they've just signed Carre).

Given that most props don't tend to peak until well into their 20s, the issue is that we might need to skip a generation.

I'm hoping that some of the players in their 20s now like Heyes, Painter or Harper improve to the extent that they become genuinely viable options in this cycle.

So who are we not going to see again? And who will start to be phased out? With who replacing them?

What do we think?
I'd have said Ford last weekend but he was outstanding yesterday and I must admit I thought he was older than 31 (birthday yesterday). So would be happy to see him stick around.

Daly's time is surely up. Plenty of good young wingers deserve a shot. Murley next cab off the rank for me although a lot on here may disagree.

Cole is playing well but maybe time to start looking at the likes of Opoku-Fordjour?

Yeah the future of THP looks strong, there's just a bit of gap between the 19yr olds and the seasoned pros - it's why I'm fine with Cole atm, while the kids mature
It's a shame Painter didn't get a look in this 6N, think he could help bridge the gap too. Whilst I think Asher could do a job off the bench atm I'm still not fully on board with throwing someone so young into an international front row, just for physiological reasons more than anything

It was a much better 6N than I expected but I'm seeing people (not necessarily here) get carried away - realistically we managed about 120mins of good rugby spread out over the tournament.
A good start, and shows we have the players to play well (though we showed flashes of this before too) - we just need consistency. It's not like yesterday built massively on the Ireland game - first half was poor and there was a lull in the second too

Lineout is still a mess, which is concerning considering it's SBs speciality and the pack is filled with lineout operators
Scrum held up well, dropping Sinckler was the right move and Genge grew into the tournament, breakdown doesn't look a priority in the gameplan - we barely competed but looks by design, defence has its moments, especially when set, but scramble is non existent (only 9 games to go!), kicking was with more purpose but we don't have the personnel to really compete in the air so still feels a bit pointless at times
Gonna be interesting to see what happens with 9 (well, 21) over the summer - I still rate Care but he did look a step behind this 6N, can still do a job off the bench but I wouldn't want to start him

I'm definitely not getting carried away. However, the fact that we got better as the tournament progressed at least suggests that we are going in the right direction.

Earl and Mitchell look very good and Feyi Waboso and Cunningham-South look like they can both thrive at this level.

Daly and Care look past it but that's not really a concern given the options to replace them.

Think that's mostly fair, it's also fair to say France grew into the tournament and Le Garrick made a huge difference to Luku earlier on in the tournament so it's not really fair to compare how they performed against other teams earlier in the tournament. Defensively we are pretty good in general it's the turn overs and scramble that kill us, I think the lack of pace outside doesn't lend itself in this defensive style look at the pace on SA wings for comparison. ABs, Fra and Scotland are all pretty lethal off turn over ball which I think is where we will potentially struggle. Line-out defiantly needs some work.

Clear signs of improvement throughout just need to intergrate some future starters in the front row and see if we can find some centre depth, Laurence playing vs not was night and day (Scotland aside) if we're not careful it could be a Manu situation all over again. 10 spot is looking pretty good and with hindsight looks pretty balanced providing form doesn't drop off a cliff all 3 could could play a part in the next WC. U20s success suggests there could well be a sprinkling of future starts which is probably more likely that throughout the last WC cycle.

I'll admit I was wrong and England overall did far better than I expected them too. They showed they can play attacking rugby and definitely found some new players to build around. Still a lot of work to do, but at least it felt like progress.

I'm definitely not getting carried away. However, the fact that we got better as the tournament progressed at least suggests that we are going in the right direction.

Earl and Mitchell look very good and Feyi Waboso and Cunningham-South look like they can both thrive at this level.

Daly and Care look past it but that's not really a concern given the options to replace them.
Very pleased to see him starting to look at home at Test level. I love how busy he is and how quickly he gets to the ruck and whips the ball away. After watching Youngs ambling around for the last 4 or 5 years it's so refreshing.

I've never been on board the JvP hype train. Yes he's young but he looks absolutely terrified whenever he's in an England shirt. I was excited about Quirke but he's now second choice at Sale.

The young U20s 9 looks very good too. McParland is it?

I think that's harsh. I don't think JvP has looked 'absolutely terrified'. He's had some good moments and if anything, I think he was confused by the game plan (which could be said for most of us too). Mitchell is looking good now, but it took him a while to get there. Probably for similar reasons.

As long as we stick with the style of play we've seen in the past couple of rounds, I think JvP has more than enough potential to be a good understudy to Mitchell. I'd prefer Quirke, but he needs to stay fit and get his starting spot back before he's a serious contender.

McParland looks promising, but he's behind Mitchell so probably won't get as much game time as he might need in the short term.

JVP was playing 9 under Eddie Jones I mean that's gonna be a rough situation.
He was class in some games and cold in other. Against Aus he was fantastic I thought.

I feel JVP has the potential to be a proper world class 9. He has a great box kick on him, quick pass and very quick runner. I don't think he jumps into the 23 but when fit and if back to his form I would have him in the squad again.

Some thoughts on the squad

Front row did well overall given lack of perceived depth. TH is a big concern as Will Stuart has invariably looked poor every game he has played in

Locks are progressing nicely, Itoje has been a solid 7 or 8 every game. Martin is a class act. Chessum is not a bad support act

Earl has continued his WC form and has been England's best player again. Underhill easing back into a run of games

Not convinced that a lock at 6 is the future, although Chessum played well in both games he started. If CCS improves his fitness and work rate he has all the attributes to be a top class 6

Mitchell has nailed down 9, really impressed with him

Ford came into his own in the last two games. Still a very classy operator. Great competition with both Smiths

Centres starting to look good, although Lawrence is better at 13.

Not convinced that Furbank is the long term answer at FB (Hodge maybe ) Although given the gameplay he is better suited to it that Freddie

Wings are really excited if selected and given ball IFW and Freeman have all the attributes to be a menace at this level

Very pleased to see him starting to look at home at Test level. I love how busy he is and how quickly he gets to the ruck and whips the ball away. After watching Youngs ambling around for the last 4 or 5 years it's so refreshing.

I've never been on board the JvP hype train. Yes he's young but he looks absolutely terrified whenever he's in an England shirt. I was excited about Quirke but he's now second choice at Sale.

The young U20s 9 looks very good too. McParland is it?
Watching yesterday and it seemed, Mitchell already trusted the team to be in position when he arrived at the breakdowns, which upped the speed.
Theteam had to play at Mitchell's pace, which is much better.

Front row did well overall given lack of perceived depth. TH is a big concern as Will Stuart has invariably looked poor every game he has played in

Locks are progressing nicely, Itoje has been a solid 7 or 8 every game. Martin is a class act. Chessum is not a bad support act

Earl has continued his WC form and has been England's best player again. Underhill easing back into a run of games

Not convinced that a lock at 6 is the future, although Chessum played well in both games he started. If CCS improves his fitness and work rate he has all the attributes to be a top class 6

Ford came into his own in the last two games. Still a very classy operator. Great competition with both Smiths

Not convinced that Furbank is the long term answer at FB (Hodge maybe ) Although given the gameplay he is better suited to it that Freddie

Wings are really excited if selected and given ball IFW and Freeman have all the attributes to be a menace at this level
I think Furbank has been pretty good with a few errors more than we would like, long term he might be surpassed by Josh Hodge who looks like he could be really good but may need to add a little bulk, not sure if Tyrone Green would ever play for England but another FB with pace and offers a descent attacking threat from the back.

My question on CCS as a starting 6. Will he do the defensive shift a 6 is expected for this type of defence for the potential 80 minutes if he had to?

It's tricky Earl has been a god send for us at 8. But I also want to see CCS at 8 (Also if he stays at Quins would like to see him there as well)

I think Furbank has been pretty good with a few errors more than we would like, long term he might be surpassed by Josh Hodge who looks like he could be really good but may need to add a little bulk, not sure if Tyrone Green would ever play for England but another FB with pace and offers a descent attacking threat from the back.
Hodge does look very promising and I think he has a higher ceiling than Furbank. Green is a no for me. I'm a big fan at club level, but truthfully his ankle injury cost him a yard or two of pace and I just don't think he has the smarts for test rugby.

Let's see what Hodge is going to be like post injury I guess
Carpenter has seemed to drop off a lot of people's mind pretty quickly (outside of Olyy)

Let's see what Hodge is going to be like post injury I guess
Carpenter has seemed to drop off a lot of people's mind pretty quickly (outside of Olyy)
Is he injured again, he looked pretty good shape wise in the As game I watched recent highlights of.

Carpenter's great, the youngest of the lot too

Bit of an embarrassment of riches at 15 atm so understandable that someone has to drop out of the conversation with Furbank and Hodge hitting their straps this season
Think he's the most well rounded of the options but doesn't have a USP where he's clearly better than any other option like the others do (Steward in the air, Hodge's athleticism, Furbank's playmaking)

CCS looks like an 8 to me. Ball carrying is his strength