• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6N 2016 - General Chit Chat

Not that I'm too clued up on form in the Premiership, but as an outsider that sounds like one of the dullest back three combos England could pick.

Could this work in the long term and with a bit of patience/development:

11. May, 14. Rokoduguni, 15. Watson ??

How good is Watson at fullback? In the long term May needs to be nurtured because he is something special. Same goes for Rokoduguni. If that back three could gel I think it has the potential to be one of the most potent attacking units in the world.

Not that I'm too clued up on form in the Premiership, but as an outsider that sounds like one of the dullest back three combos England could pick.

Could this work in the long term and with a bit of patience/development:

11. May, 14. Rokoduguni, 15. Watson ??

How good is Watson at fullback? In the long term May needs to be nurtured because he is something special. Same goes for Rokoduguni. If that back three could gel I think it has the potential to be one of the most potent attacking units in the world.

I was holding it up as a joke- a scenario that might happen under Jones.

Seriously though, it's not that bad- better than the current one- with a few conditions.

1) That Nowell makes a successful transition to fullback. Long term I see him here, slight lack of pace won't bother him at 15 (Brown, Goode, etc- not that it's ideal), he's defensively very solid, good under the high ball- not as great in the air but that's less important for a fullback- and offers more in attack than Brown.

2) That Jones and Gustard can incorporate Ashton into the team in such a way that his defence isn't shown up (much trickier than with Ford for example- missed tackles on the wing = clean breaks and tries, rather than lost metres closer in) and have can translate his Sarries form.
He was a deadly finisher for a long time, if he can get back to that then I'd be happy to have him in the team.

Any back three with Ashton qualifies for dull based on the last few years to be fair. And there are two really big ifs for him to answer to be successful.

May-Watson-Rokoduguni sounds like the best possible offensive back three available to England at the moment.

Any back three with Ashton qualifies for dull based on the last few years to be fair. And there are two really big ifs for him to answer to be successful.

May-Watson-Rokoduguni sounds like the best possible offensive back three available to England at the moment.

The thing about Ashton is he may be a finisher but he's a **** poor creator, he very rarely if ever actually can make something himself. His step makes Goodes look great and he doesn't have that much in the way of top end speed. His strength in contact is laughable and I've not seen him do well in an aerial game. Also at Sarries he avoided tackling at all costs, that was with Gustard. If he couldn't fix him at Sarries, I don't see how he can for England. Ford may be weak tackling but he will at least attempt it, Ashton often doesn't even attempt it, he just wafts around hoping someone else will. No, I do not want to see Ashton in the side, what he can get away with at club level because Sarries work so well to mask his weaknesses will NOT work internationally. Top international sides will find a way to unmask weaknesses better than clubs can and the very top sides like NZ wouldn't have any problem at all doing that, as they did many times last time England played them.

RFU have sold the naming rights of Twickenham to Kelloggs for an undisclosed fee this morning.
http://www.eatsleeprugby.co.uk/international-teams/england/rfu-sell-twickenham-naming-rights/

Hopefully the money will be used to promote the lower leagues and Academy's.

Will now be officially known as the Kelloggs Bowl.

It's also due to be turned back into a cabbage patch http://www.breakingnews.com/item/2016/04/01/photo-twickenham-stadium-transformed-back-into-ca/

Yeh because Leicester City currently top of the Premiership is exactly the same as Sale Sharks and Diamond currently 7th. Leicester City squad is like £270 million less than Man City squad.

Crap journalism by Healey

He tackles the eyes. Proven formula.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh because Leicester City currently top of the Premiership is exactly the same as Sale Sharks and Diamond currently 7th. Leicester City squad is like £270 million less than Man City squad.

Crap journalism by Healey

Healy's come up with something better - ever?

Anyone listen to the five live interview with Eddie Jones a couple of weeks ago. He said they've got another 'character' coming into the squad. Matt Dawson et al couldn't think of who but could it be Ashton?

Someone's still hurting after that aussie soap opera we completed.

I'm a neutral and it seems like a stupid comparison to me. If what he says about budget is correct, Sale are to be commended for punching above their weight, but they are currently still a bottom half team. Hardly comparable to Leicester City who are topping the division despite having less than a tenth of the budget of some of their peers.

My understanding is that more and more AP clubs are able to spend up to (I'll rise above the obvious "and over" dig) the salary cap, so I would question the accuracy of saying that budget determines league position - surely over the last few years, this would have meant a multi-way tie at the top of the table.

A better headline would be "North West Man Praises Fellow North West Man Again".

Anyone listen to the five live interview with Eddie Jones a couple of weeks ago. He said they've got another 'character' coming into the squad. Matt Dawson et al couldn't think of who but could it be Ashton?

Are there currently any more assistant coaching roles up for grabs?

liudininku-nuotraukos.jpg

Is Grayson related to THAT Grayson?

Weird to see so many familiar names starting to come through now, and it'll only be more and more as the years after professionalism go by.