• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England EPS 2017/18 edition.

Eddie's preference for playmakers is starting to reach obsessive levels

Yep, we need to balance that out with a bit more power. Just praying that Manu's injuries are part of a higher power's master plan to keep him hungry and well rested for Japan.

I do think Harry Mallinder's inclusion is baffling though. The guy really doesn't impress me. So many ahead of him for 10 and 12.

Aye,
Can't see Addison ever getting a look in now either, didn't impress at age grade and picks up injuries every time he starts stringing games together.
Weirdly James was told he'd be playing the 2nd game in Argentina, his family flew out for it and everything and then he was left out. A victim of Piers Francis rise, I imagine

Addison to Ireland maybe?

England head coach Eddie Jones says he would be prepared to select Manu Tuilagi as early as the autumn internationals in November.

The Leicester centre, 26, has not played for England since March 2016, and has been out of action since January because of a knee injury.

However, Jones has picked Tuilagi for a three-day pre-season training camp, starting on Saturday.

"If he's fit and ready to go, we'll play him," Jones told BBC Radio 5 live.

"He demolished New Zealand before, and if he's fit and he's got the right desire, then he's always got a chance to get selected for us.

"He's got a number of club games to show us whether he is going to be right or not.

"This camp is about getting players organised mentally for the season, so it's important to have Manu there."

England face Argentina, Australia and Samoa in November.

Jones has also drafted in 18-year-old Harlequins' Marcus Smith, who he believes is the "best young fly-half" in England.

Smith has yet to make his senior debut for Quins, but former Japan coach Jones has been monitoring his progress for a while.

"Back in 2015, Japan had a lot of training camps in Brighton, and I saw him train with his school. He is a guy that stood out," Jones said.

"He was in the development pathway for England, and I've been keeping close tabs on him.

"He's certainly the best young fly-half around, and we need some pressure on those old guys George [Ford] and Owen [Farrell].

"We see enough about him to be the fourth-choice 10 in our squad."

A 18 year old as our 4th choice 10? Welp......
I mean what depht chart of:
9 Youngs, Care, Wigglesworth, Maunder
10 Ford, Faz, Loz, Smith
12 Faz, Francis, Slade, Mallinder
13 Manu, T'eo, JJ, Marchant

Last edited:
Even as a Quins fan, suggesting Smith is the 4th best fly half in England is just madness. Arguably Eddie's strangest statement to date.

There is just no way that Eddie or anyone else can seriously claim that Smith is better than Cipriani, Freddie or Billy Burns right now. Max Malins is also a U20 World Cup winner (OK a runner up as a 10).

Even if he has all the ability in the world, it's not been tested at anything close to the highest level so for him to be described as fourth choice is just insane

Re. Addison to Ireland, it's a distinct possibility. However, with Earls and Zebo well established and Stockdale and Larmour coming through, selection wouldn't be anywhere guaranteed.

He could be considered as a centre, but then he'd be competing with Ringrose, Henshaw and Marshall for the 13 shirt as Aki will probably take 12 when qualified.

Re. Addison to Ireland, it's a distinct possibility. However, with Earls and Zebo well established and Stockdale and Larmour coming through, selection wouldn't be anywhere guaranteed.

He could be considered as a centre, but then he'd be competing with Ringrose, Henshaw and Marshall for the 13 shirt as Aki will probably take 12 when qualified.

yeh but he would be a fair bit closer. esp if he gets a starting gig for an Irish club (Not saying that would happen)

Apparently Mitchell is being looked at for Ireland (hence the move to Connacht)
Doesn't say much for their 9 stocks, tbf

Personally I think Mallins could really be the future England 10, has a lot of Wilko about him. Then again he may not take age grade performance to seniors. Likewise Randall, he seems to be so much faster than senior SH's but I think his size means he will never get a look in even if he could accurately hurl the ball half way across the pitch.

Likewise Randall, he seems to be so much faster than senior SH's but I think his size means he will never get a look in even if he could accurately hurl the ball half way across the pitch.

His size could be a real asset in the current climate....loads of pens and oppo yellows for high tackles....

He was born in Eng, but didn't realize he grew up in Wales representing them at U16 and U18.

Personally I think Mallins could really be the future England 10, has a lot of Wilko about him. Then again he may not take age grade performance to seniors. Likewise Randall, he seems to be so much faster than senior SH's but I think his size means he will never get a look in even if he could accurately hurl the ball half way across the pitch.

I love watching Malins. I haven't seen a lot of Smith other than a few clips so I can't compare, but if Eddie rates him that highly he must be something special.

I like Randall, but as you say, his size will surely be a hindrance at senior level. He is literally tiny and obviously isn't going to grow. Alex Mitchell at Saints looks very promising at 9 (I thought he was better than Randall in the last U20 World Cup) but I fear for his development - partially becasue he's at Saints and partially because he has Groom, Reinach and Kessel ahead of him.

Come to think of it, have Saints successfully brought through any young players other than Mallinder in recent times? Might be harsh to judge on Stephenson given his injuries, but players like Ludlam seem unable to get a look in.

I'm hoping Mitchell Jr. comes home after he finishes Uni (ala Henry Thomas with Bath), he was always more highly rated than his older brother

Massive shame, Denny does have a lot of potential when he's in the right environment. Manu isn't helping himself at all, 3 strikes and you're out?

Latest posts